JustARandomPanda

Chanting Deity/Buddha names and The Cosmic Doctrine

In the interests of transparency I have to admit I no longer do these chants. They are quite powerful. For me that was true. However, I now firmly believe it is better to have a guru initiate you into Name Chanting rather than picking one of more willy-nilly from a book or video.

At the time I first made this post I was unaware of some of the debilitating downsides to this practice if one doesn't have the backing of a guru parampa overseeing it. Not least is nasty karmic backlash that is completely unnecessary. Sadhguru actually has a Sadhguru Exclusive video about this. I had no idea at the time I made this that the need for a guru parampa prepared to go to war and defend their "young fledglings" is an actual "thing" - if you catch my drift. I was quite shocked when he said it's a real thing that gurus have to (to paraphrase) go to war with...uh...not-so-kindly...higher (ie...demonic) powers sometimes on behalf of the disciples under their care.

Some of the downsides of doing certain practices without a guru parampa are echoed by Rajarshi Nandy in the following video. Actually it's video 1 of a 4 video set that gives a good overview. Some nasty side effects could include things like...attracting not-so-magnanimous "beings" to put it mildly. Or you might tick off not only the deity who's name you are chanting but..uh...other deities who are adjacent or related in some manner to the deity (or Buddha) who's name you are chanting if you don't do it correctly. Apparently being ignorant of how to do things properly doesn't excuse you from the backlash the Universe throws at you.

So I guess I would say..if you do decide to Name Chant DIY anyway...proceed at your own risk. It's easy to get enthused about the benefits as I was. Much less easy to hear people speak about some of the not-so-great downsides.

FYI - the other 3 videos in this set are just as amazing - including one on Possession as explained by Yogis and Tantrics. (good reminder not everything of the more subtle Planes is all sweetness, kindness and light).

Edited by JustARandomPanda

2 hours ago, JustARandomPanda said:

In the interests of transparency I have to admit I no longer do these chants. They are quite powerful. For me that was true. However, I now firmly believe it is better to have a guru initiate you into Name Chanting rather than picking one of more willy-nilly from a book or video.

At the time I first made this post I was unaware of some of the debilitating downsides to this practice if one doesn't have the backing of a guru parampa overseeing it. Not least is nasty karmic backlash that is completely unnecessary. Sadhguru actually has a Sadhguru Exclusive video about this. I had no idea at the time I made this that the need for a guru parampa prepared to go to war and defend their "young fledglings" is an actual "thing" - if you catch my drift. I was quite shocked when he said it's a real thing that gurus have to (to paraphrase) go to war with...uh...not-so-kindly...higher (ie...demonic) powers sometimes on behalf of the disciples under their care.

Some of the downsides of doing certain practices without a guru parampa are echoed by Rajarshi Nandy in the following video. Actually it's video 1 of a 4 video set that gives a good overview. Some nasty side effects could include things like...attracting not-so-magnanimous "beings" to put it mildly. Or you might tick off not only the deity who's name you are chanting but..uh...other deities who are adjacent or related in some manner to the deity (or Buddha) who's name you are chanting if you don't do it correctly. Apparently being ignorant of how to do things properly doesn't excuse you from the backlash the Universe throws at you.

So I guess I would say..if you do decide to Name Chant DIY anyway...proceed at your own risk. It's easy to get enthused about the benefits as I was. Much less easy to hear people speak about some of the not-so-great downsides.

FYI - the other 3 videos in this set are just as amazing - including one on Possession as explained by Yogis and Tantrics. (good reminder not everything of the more subtle Planes is all sweetness, kindness and light).

IMO chanting Hindu (or others) deities names is the same practice as done in Hermetics/Magic as invocation/evocation of various beings. But when it is done in Hermetics, there are a lot of security measures taken, and there is a list of friendly beings and not so friendly ones.

I don't remember any security measures in Hindu deities chanting, I could be wrong though.

What I'm trying to say is that you are right in a sense that poking into these practices could bring more harm than good; and following security protocols is better than not.

11 hours ago, idquest said:

IMO chanting Hindu (or others) deities names is the same practice as done in Hermetics/Magic as invocation/evocation of various beings. But when it is done in Hermetics, there are a lot of security measures taken, and there is a list of friendly beings and not so friendly ones.

I don’t think it’s the same. Hindu practices have developed over literally 4-5 millennia. Not sure how old hermetics is, especially since gurdjieff and Bardon were much more recent figures. 

I don't remember any security measures in Hindu deities chanting, I could be wrong though.

usually chanting is undertaken by initiation. But Hindu traditions have their own presiding deity (inherited as part of a family), and depending on one’s predilection (personal deity). Deities are benevolent and chanting their names/mantras will help. 

What I'm trying to say is that you are right in a sense that poking into these practices could bring more harm than good; and following security protocols is better than not.

There is no harm if you have a pure mind. Meaning, don’t approach a deity for help to harm others, etc - that’s when it will backfire. 

• Like 1