Sign in to follow this  
RobB

The dividing nature of Metal

Recommended Posts

I don't pretend to know much about Taoist metaphysics but it seems that this forum is feeling the divisive aspect of the incoming Metal energy. Keep smiling ūüôā

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote my very brief predictions for the year in the "Taoist trivia and memorabilia" thread and described the particular nature of this year's Yang Metal sitting on top of Water.  A bit more on that:

 

There's different main kinds of Heavenly Stem Metal -- Yang Metal and Yin Metal  -- and a few different kinds of Earthly Branch Metal -- contained within certain zodiacal "animals" (aka types of earthly qi), and then there's the combo of the Heavenly Metal with a metallic or non-metallic Earthly Branch, and then the non-metallic ones can be in a productive, destructive or controlling relationship with it, and the metallic ones, friendly or competitive.  So, there's a lot of different kinds of Metal -- and this year's one is not the best.  (See the referenced thread if interested).

 

However, the inherent direction of Metal qi is inward -- Metal contracts.  It has a tendency to pack things tightly and forms tight units of power, value, or (as the case may be) crushing violence, restriction, holding by a containment force.  (Metal contracts, Wood expands, Water flows down, Fire rises up, Earth rotates -- those are the wuxing patterns.)      

 

Both my "trivia" thread and this post are very generic -- but a serious spirit reader (which I always aspire to be) is not allowed to present probabilities as inevitabilities, and even less to divulge, because it can anger fate and all its agents who like to keep their secrets and guard them against mortals for a reason.  (A limited amount of disclosure is permissible provided certain conditions have been met.)

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See, @Taomeow, just as well I don't pretend to know much about taoist metaphysics! Not sure where I got divide from - I need to go back to my books, I was sure there was something about division, discernment, separation in there - perhaps I made an incorrect association to Pi Chuan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RobB said:

See, @Taomeow, just as well I don't pretend to know much about taoist metaphysics! Not sure where I got divide from - I need to go back to my books, I was sure there was something about division, discernment, separation in there - perhaps I made an incorrect association to Pi Chuan.

 

I too have been taught that there`s a divisive (discernment) aspect to metal, as well as a contractive one.  The organ associated with metal is the lungs, and the job of the lungs is to divide the oxygen from the carbon dioxide, so there`s this task of separating out what`s needed from what isn`t.  Metal can also be fashioned into a sword, which cuts.  The ability to discern requires awareness and sensitivity, a mirrorlike reflective quality that accurately depicts things so we know what is what.  The exactness, precision of this awareness can give metal an elegant quality.  Also related to divisiveness is the act of letting go, clearly the job of the large intestine, the other organ associated with metal.

 

@Taomeow Does this accord with your understanding or are RobB and I lost in a five elements wonderland?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RobB said:

See, @Taomeow, just as well I don't pretend to know much about taoist metaphysics! Not sure where I got divide from - I need to go back to my books, I was sure there was something about division, discernment, separation in there - perhaps I made an incorrect association to Pi Chuan.

 

You weren't wrong, it's about the context of operation of Metal and in some contexts it will be divisive, because concentration of power, value, or violence can indeed be divisive.  Think gold -- its concentration in one place divides the whole context into the haves and have-nots.  Think an army, the manifestation of the concentrating force of Metal.  (Before metal weapons there were no armies.)  Think bank vaults, locks and keys, chains, handcuffs.  Think scalpels -- they can divide by separating the healthy from the diseased -- or swords or guns that can separate the powerful from the powerless, the living from the dead.  So, division is indeed an aspect of concentration.     

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, liminal_luke said:

 

I too have been taught that there`s a divisive (discernment) aspect to metal, as well as a contractive one.  The organ associated with metal is the lungs, and the job of the lungs is to divide the oxygen from the carbon dioxide, so there`s this task of separating out what`s needed from what isn`t.  Metal can also be fashioned into a sword, which cuts.  The ability to discern requires awareness and sensitivity, a mirrorlike reflective quality that accurately depicts things so we know what is what.  The exactness, precision of this awareness can give metal an elegant quality.  Also related to divisiveness is the act of letting go, clearly the job of the large intestine, the other organ associated with metal.

 

@Taomeow Does this accord with your understanding or are RobB and I lost in a five elements wonderland?

 

We responded simultaneously.  :) Yes -- see my entry above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/02/2020 at 8:32 AM, RobB said:

...this forum is feeling the divisive aspect of the incoming Metal energy.


1. Nothing to do with Metal, which is actually good for the excessive movement of Wood our world has been facing since who knows when. Maybe after the last Great War?


Metal controls Wood.

 

2. More to do with this:

The Blind Men, the Elephant, and Knowledge

 

MORAL

 

So, oft in theologic wars
The disputants, I ween,
Rail on in utter ignorance
Of what each other mean;
And prate about an Elephant
Not one of them has seen!

 

Love this stuff!!!

 

3. Phenomenon observed here and other forums from day one not just recently.


 

Edited: I forgot, the Metal Rat started officially on Jan. 25 but energetically won't fully kick in after two more months approx. It's a transition period first and then in the final month the Earth Pig will become dominant again before finally giving in to the Rat's cycle. 
 

This is also observed in the movement of Qi along all the networks it circulates in its 24-h journey (organ networks); eg. 11am-1pm is ruled by the Heart but from 1-2pm Heart energy becomes suddenly very active (it actually peaks) before the Small Intestine is 'dominant' again.


Yearly it is 2 months but in the daily movement of Qi it is 1 h only since the period it moves along the network is shorter. 

Edited by Gerard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2020 at 12:37 AM, Taomeow said:

However, the inherent direction of Metal qi is inward -- Metal contracts.  It has a tendency to pack things tightly and forms tight units of power, value, or (as the case may be) crushing violence, restriction, holding by a containment force.  (Metal contracts, Wood expands, Water flows down, Fire rises up, Earth rotates -- those are the wuxing patterns.)      

 

 

Here in the UK we're splitting up into small family units, isolating, separating, turning inwards - a lot of that happening. I am reminded of @Taomeow's description. Also read somewhere that the year element is particularly strong this time of year. Strong inward turning ... 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes one of the Rat'a traits:

 

"Rat is a very alert, coward, quick, sly, ambitious and smart animal."

 

Metal makes it even more coward since it is solid, descending element. People born in the day hours are the opposite though. They are more adventurous and braver. That's my observation when dealing with people born under this animal sign.

 

This 'virus' thing is a clear sign of the Metal Rat about to kick in fully.

 

FEAR! :)
 

KIDNEY YANG (11pm-1am, GB organ) hour of the Rat.

 



 

Edited by Gerard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this