Trunk

Wang LiPing's "Daoist Internal Mastery"

Available through Three Pines Press, $59.

https://uhpress.hawaii.edu/product/daoist-internal-mastery/

This book translates Master Wang’s original practice instructions and discourses given during training seminars.  His system of internal alchemy goes back to two ancient Daoist texts: the 13th-century Lingbao bifa, linked to the immortals Zhongli Quan and Lü Dongbin; and the 17th-century Taiyi jinhua zongzhi (Secret of the Golden Flower), also connected to Lü.  Together they are known as the Lingbao tong zhineng neigong shu (Arts of Internal Mastery, Wisdom, and Potential, Based on Numinous Treasure).  The texts outline the concoction of a golden elixir through the dual cultivation of inner nature and life-destiny.  This book follows the classics and presents all different kinds of techniques—including walking, pacing, sleeping, circulating the five phases, absorbing tree energy, and capturing planetary essences—in a systematic format and with a great amount of instructional detail.  It contains a wealth of information invaluable to anyone interested in genuine Daoist cultivation and elucidates numerous rather obscure concepts to contextualize each practice.

9781931483391.jpg

Edited by Trunk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I have it.  Well written, packed with information.  Wang Liping is the genuine article, his retreats are very expensive, so in comparison his books are a bargain.  More importantly, members here who've studied with him are impressive.

For a dabbler myself, who likes things simple, the book for the most part is overkill.  I'll open it now and then for insight or to try one of the dozens of exercises for a bit then go back to something simpler, but thats me.  For anyone interested in the Daoist esoteric energy arts, its an excellent book by one of the worlds foremost practitioners. 

Its a layered practice with the secret being long years/decades of dedication. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 29/05/2020 at 6:12 AM, ben kaf said:

anybody read this? What's your opinion..Is it practical and valuable for it's price?

This book is best for somebody who has already taken WLP's retreats. If you need a book describing WLP's practice at a beginner level, you can look into this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Alchemy-Wang-Liping-One-ebook/dp/B084MCDF8Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nathan+brine&qid=1590864160&s=books&sr=1-1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, idquest said:

This book is best for somebody who has already taken WLP's retreats. If you need a book describing WLP's practice at a beginner level, you can look into this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Taoist-Alchemy-Wang-Liping-One-ebook/dp/B084MCDF8Q/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=nathan+brine&qid=1590864160&s=books&sr=1-1

Thank you! you exactly answered my question. I was trying to compare that book with the one you mentioned.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, idquest said:

Nathan is on this site sometimes....

For those who read the book... how does this differ from the Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu translated by Richard Liao? (Is it simply a more updated translation of the same chinese text? Or does either of the books have content that the other doesn't?)

And also if anyone could further compare those with Nathan's book?

Thanks in advance!

On 5/30/2020 at 1:45 PM, idquest said:

Looks like a great book.  I find WLP's writing too dense.  The view from a dedicated Western practitioner might be just the perspective I need for better understanding.  and its on sale.  As always, compared to the price of a WLP seminar these things are being given away. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luccas said:

For those who read the book... how does this differ from the Ling Bao Tong Zhi Neng Nei Gong Shu translated by Richard Liao? (Is it simply a more updated translation of the same chinese text? Or does either of the books have content that the other doesn't?)

And also if anyone could further compare those with Nathan's book?

Thanks in advance!

Richard Liao translated a first edition of the 'Blue Book' which is a somewhat disparate collection of WLP's teachings from the 90's. Mark Bartosh with the help of Livia Kohn translated the second edition of the 'Blue Book'.

One should understand that 'translation' is not a good word for the process, it is rather 'interpretation' than translation. So both Richard and Mark contributed their own understanding of practice to how to interpret Chinese text into English. In my view, both did a good job. Mark's book is perhaps easier for an English speaking reader.

If you want to build your practice, Nathan's book is the best. After you have practiced from it for a while, you can read either or both Richard's and Mark's books to expand your understanding of practice. But you won't be able to build your practice from scratch based on Richard's or Mark's books.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1