manitou

This is a must see

A friend just sent this to me - he's a bit of a master on the string bass, and a Daoist.  My friend didn't like this performance much, I think it's brilliant.

Whatever, it's certainly worthy of comment.

Country Music joins up with Taijiquan (Tai Chi) and Qigong. A yin-yang cowboy and his crew create a new East West fusion: Singing and guitars to help Part The Wild Horse's Mane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csSqgqzv1Zw&fbclid=IwAR2Qn0B1YBc7DTWsIF2LV6Y8JjVUeiSgVs00jDIGey5geKLn5A37bwybQsA

Any opinions?

• Like 6

I´m not sure about the quality of the tai ji or the music, but I love the unexpected juxtaposition.  That guy didn´t look to me like the sort who would do tai ji but he does.  Sometimes it´s nice to be wrong.

• Like 3

Luke put it nicely... I'm not into the style of music, but it was very unique and unexpected.  Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me of the Master Ren GuangYi instructional Chen style DVDs that had the background music done by Lou Reed (a student of Ren GuangYi)

Music and martial arts goes together nicely.

• Like 2

Well ...  that music is not my cup of tea at all .. and I was even more  'surprise' when the guy doing the TC started singing  .... or miming .

I thought it was 'strange' 

BUT

It reminded me of when I was trying to learn Crane Form  ( Okinawan so a totally different 'performance rhythm  ' to Chinese).  I decided to learn that and a long Swinburne poem at the same time, so I would  practice the form and recite out loud at the  same time, but I could match rhythms .

Which must have looked pretty strange and funny .   But I can still do both at the same time  ... I think ... half a mo'  ...

Yep... still can do both at the same time  :)

I actually love training to music, gotta be right  rhythm  though .... like in Capoeira  .  or below  (next post )

And I DONT mean some lame martial arts demo to 'Eye of the Tiger '  PLEASE NO !   Not again !   

:(

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

This Lauderdale guy is growin on me. I do admire the country music as long as it's this kind of folk soul to it, and not that "she thinks my tractor's sexy" business. There's even one of his other songs, "Old Time Angels" in traditional Mountain Music style.

The "Listen" song has a nice message, and it's a beautifully filmed video. He's definitely got... something. If nothing else is there anyone with enough guts to wear that outfit!

• Like 3

If I'm ever captured and tortured, they will know to play country music in my prison cell :lol:

the bass was smoove, and though it wasnt any showcasing of abilities, you could tell he knows vibrato comes from the elbow B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I gave it a like because it was an interesting idea, and a nice song, but it's against my rules to think about something else while doing tai chi, and yes, his costumes did hurt my eyes.  He's missing some internal connections, maybe because he's focussing on singing, but he gets an A for effort.

Once my tai chi teacher gave a yang style broadsword demo while at a skating rink.  He had been a competition ice skater so he wanted to put the two together.  The problem is you can't really get the kind of torsional force that you need at the waist while flying around on ice skates.  But he got an A for effort too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nungali said:

It's always nice to see an art where they employ the 'finishing' moves.  It means it's not one of the sporting styles where the kids are protected by rules.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nintendao said:

This Lauderdale guy is growin on me. I do admire the country music as long as it's this kind of folk soul to it, and not that "she thinks my tractor's sexy" business. There's even one of his other songs, "Old Time Angels" in traditional Mountain Music style.

The "Listen" song has a nice message, and it's a beautifully filmed video. He's definitely got... something. If nothing else is there anyone with enough guts to wear that outfit!

The thing that grabbed me about the video was his message.  It was about oneness and knowing-nothing, but all juxtaposed in this strange performance, in a genre that was totally unexpected.  And you're absolutely right about the outfit.....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Starjumper said:

It's always nice to see an art where they employ the 'finishing' moves.  It means it's not one of the sporting styles where the kids are protected by rules.

The drumming sort of puts one in the 'second attention' (a Castaneda word), and I can see how the flow of the martial art is aided by the drum mood.  It's beautiful.

• Like 1