brunocbbc

What Books Do You Recommend For A Tantra Beginner?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, I'm a beginner at Tantra and I'm looking for books to help me understand about it's spiritual practices and to spiritualy develop myself. I'm also interested in Kundalini

 

I was thinking of reading one of these books

"The Serpent Power: The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga" by Arthur Avalon

"Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System" by Anodea Judith

"Kundalini Tantra" by Swami Satyananda

 

Do you think one of these books can help me as a beginner? What would you recommend?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope.  Can tell you already have some real energy flow.  I would suggest you find a real teacher or pick some tradition to work with.  You already notice/feel it, or are doing a lot subconsciously.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Nope.  Can tell you already have some real energy flow.  I would suggest you find a real teacher or pick some tradition to work with.  You already notice/feel it, or are doing a lot subconsciously.

Thank you, that's nice to hear, unfortenetly I don't think there is anything like that around my area and I'm still pretty lost in all of this, what traditions should I look for?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brunocbbc said:

Thank you, that's nice to hear, unfortenetly I don't think there is anything like that around my area and I'm still pretty lost in all of this, what traditions should I look for?

 

Ok if I do sort of a remote energy scan on you to maybe make some specific suggestions?  Also, you are at a level where you may notice my checking.  Could feel like a rising up, mind quieting, or some vibration at heart or throat.  And if you are interested, you are currently transmitting energy at the throat (which is all good stuff).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Ok if I do sort of a remote energy scan on you to maybe make some specific suggestions?

Of course!

17 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Also, you are at a level where you may notice my checking.

Is it weird for my energy flow to be at this level as I havn't done anything at all? I tried working on my sacral chakra today and yesterday but only for maybe 15 minutes eventhough I didn't really know what I was doing and that's pretty much it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Checking on you now.  See if you notice anything...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, for an experiment now.  Imagine me in front of you and stick your finger inside my heart.  Feel it, dont worry about a complicated visualization.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, want me to respond on findings here or send you a private message instead? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In chakra terms, you currently have chakras 1-5 open, and are currently transmitting at the throat (5th chakra).  You are subconsciously energetically connecting to people and your environment around you.  Probably have some vivid dreams or feel tingly vibrations around stuff when your mind is quieter or silently listening to stuff.

 

As for practices, it sort of depends on what you may have felt or sensed with the experiment.  The good news is that you did reach me and were able to make the conscious connection.  Depending on what you get, people tend to either be more heart or mind based.  Different traditions sort of concentrate on one of the two sides.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brunocbbc said:

Hey everyone, I'm a beginner at Tantra and I'm looking for books to help me understand about it's spiritual practices and to spiritualy develop myself. I'm also interested in Kundalini

 

I was thinking of reading one of these books

"The Serpent Power: The Secrets of Tantric and Shaktic Yoga" by Arthur Avalon

"Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System" by Anodea Judith

"Kundalini Tantra" by Swami Satyananda

 

Do you think one of these books can help me as a beginner? What would you recommend?

 

 

 

Hi,

 

Books can help beginners to get a sense of the scope of a subject and the meaning of terms.  But Tantra (there's Hindu tantra and Buddhist tantra of course) is not really a beginner subject - and neither is kundalini.  

 

If there is no teachers around where you live then do a bit of research online first (but don't trust any of it especially wikipedia :) ) - the Arthur Avalon book is something of a classic but was written /translated many years ago and contains some mistakes and misinterpreations.  I don't know the other two books they may be ok.  But the main thing is don't try to practice anything from a book - and learn some basic meditation and maybe breathing exercises first.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

You are subconsciously energetically connecting to people and your environment around you.

Would I feel this at an empathic way? I've always felt a lot more empathic than most people since I was a kid, with time I learnt to weaken this trait of mine during the years as I felt it was actually harming me.

 

9 minutes ago, Jeff said:

 Probably have some vivid dreams or feel tingly vibrations around stuff when your mind is quieter or silently listening to stuff

I do have vivid dreams and I also do feel tingly sensations when my mind is quiet but not really around objects but in my body itself.

 

It's awsome that I've reached you, I tried for a while and I did feel something, it's hard to tell though, I had waves of a pleasurable sensation when i touched your heart and that similar feeling you have when you rationalize an idea and you feel you understood everything based on that, you know?. What do you think?

 

Also sorry for my english it's kind of rusty and thank you so much for helping me!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, brunocbbc said:

Would I feel this at an empathic way? I've always felt a lot more empathic than most people since I was a kid, with time I learnt to weaken this trait of mine during the years as I felt it was actually harming me.

 

Yes, on more empathic. Maybe think of it like you are energetically connecting to the people subconsciously and that connection causes you to feel or sense more from them at an emotional level. Rather than weakening (or ignoring) it, you can just start to notice the underlying energy of it.

 

Just now, brunocbbc said:

 

I do have vivid dreams and I also do feel tingly sensations when my mind is quiet but not really around objects but in my body itself.

 

It's awsome that I've reached you, I tried for a while and I did feel something, it's hard to tell though, I had waves of a pleasurable sensation when i touched your heart and that similar feeling you have when you rationalize an idea and you feel you understood everything based on that, you know?. What do you think?

 

Also sorry for my english it's kind of rusty and thank you so much for helping me!

 

 

Yes, fits well and I did feel you actually connecting so expected you to have some response. The waves of pleasurable feelings (rather than rising up or super quiet mind), imply more that you are more heart based. Let’s see if you also notice the polarity difference of the energy too... 

 

I am going to send you a hug. This time instead try to imagine me as a woman for a minute. Then stick your finger in my heart again. See if you notice a difference or if there is an increase in the pleasure or some change with rising up or feeling taller.

 

Doing it now...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jeff said:

 

Yes, on more empathic. Maybe think of it like you are energetically connecting to the people subconsciously and that connection causes you to feel or sense more from them at an emotional level. Rather than weakening (or ignoring) it, you can just start to notice the underlying energy of it.

 

 

Yes, fits well and I did feel you actually connecting so expected you to have some response. The waves of pleasurable feelings (rather than rising up or super quiet mind), imply more that you are more heart based. Let’s see if you also notice the polarity difference of the energy too... 

 

I am going to send you a hug. This time instead try to imagine me as a woman for a minute. Then stick your finger in my heart again. See if you notice a difference or if there is an increase in the pleasure or some change with rising up or feeling taller.

 

Doing it now...

I didn't feel much this time, I don't think I even managed to conect with you did I? I felt it harder to concentrate, maybe because I'm tired

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Apech said:

 

 

Hi,

 

Books can help beginners to get a sense of the scope of a subject and the meaning of terms.  But Tantra (there's Hindu tantra and Buddhist tantra of course) is not really a beginner subject - and neither is kundalini.  

 

If there is no teachers around where you live then do a bit of research online first (but don't trust any of it especially wikipedia :) ) - the Arthur Avalon book is something of a classic but was written /translated many years ago and contains some mistakes and misinterpreations.  I don't know the other two books they may be ok.  But the main thing is don't try to practice anything from a book - and learn some basic meditation and maybe breathing exercises first.

 

 

Thank you for the response, it seems like I'll need to do a looot more research before anything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, brunocbbc said:

I didn't feel much this time, I don't think I even managed to conect with you did I? I felt it harder to concentrate, maybe because I'm tired

 

Actually you did connect, and even sort of went higher in consciousness. Maybe just a little disorientating. Some sleep will help integrate it. Also, I have some work to do now, but can discuss more tomorrow. 

 

Best wishes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

 

Actually you did connect, and even sort of went higher in consciousness. Maybe just a little disorientating. Some sleep will help integrate it. Also, I have some work to do now, but can discuss more tomorrow. 

 

Best wishes. 

Ok, thanks for helping.

See you tomorrow

Edited by brunocbbc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brunocbbc said:

Ok, thanks for helping.

See you tomorrow

 

How do you feel today?  Good night? Notice any change?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, brunocbbc said:

Do you think one of these books can help me as a beginner? What would you recommend?

 

Hello brunocbbc.  only a couple of suggestions from an old man.

 

1) if you are a beginner,  start out with simple sitting meditation. I come from a zen background, but have also had kundalini experiences,  so from my experience basic sitting meditation is about the same in most traditions.  because it is simple, don't underestimate it.  Most of the amazing things I have experienced were so simple, that we tend to miss them.   

Here is a good link to get started.  https://www.lionsroar.com/category/how-to/  

Don't do meditation to "get or achieve" anything,  do it with a sense of curiosity,  and the humor of a child. 

 

2)  Be careful of folks, or books, or YouTube videos,  who try to tickle your ass claiming that they can send you spiritual power, or show you how to become enlightened or live forever.  Many of these people are fake teachers who take advantage of people searching.

 

Meditation moves in inches,  if one is in a hurry, they might want to develop powers, or insight quickly.  In my experience, I have never seen this end well.  

 

Good Luck

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd recommend reading this material (available at the URL provided below) -- http://www.dlshq.org/download/kundalini.htm

Also would recommend finding a good yoga guru and studying under him/her. By good yoga guru, I don't mean going to a yoga studio and doing yoga postures. If you are capable of traveling, go to Mysore (Maisuru) in Karnataka, India, where there are many good yoga schools with bonafide teachers. Rishikesh in India is another good place.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out this post I created just some time back in this forum.  It is about tantra for beginners and my review of a certain book.  Books can provide some idea, but I think Jeff's suggestion may be the best thing for you to have a teacher to work with.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jeff said:

 

How do you feel today?  Good night? Notice any change?

Hey man, just sent you a message

 

1 hour ago, Zen Pig said:

Hello brunocbbc.  only a couple of suggestions from an old man.

 

1) if you are a beginner,  start out with simple sitting meditation. I come from a zen background, but have also had kundalini experiences,  so from my experience basic sitting meditation is about the same in most traditions.  because it is simple, don't underestimate it.  Most of the amazing things I have experienced were so simple, that we tend to miss them.   

Here is a good link to get started.  https://www.lionsroar.com/category/how-to/  

Don't do meditation to "get or achieve" anything,  do it with a sense of curiosity,  and the humor of a child. 

 

2)  Be careful of folks, or books, or YouTube videos,  who try to tickle your ass claiming that they can send you spiritual power, or show you how to become enlightened or live forever.  Many of these people are fake teachers who take advantage of people searching.

 

Meditation moves in inches,  if one is in a hurry, they might want to develop powers, or insight quickly.  In my experience, I have never seen this end well.  

 

Good Luck

 

Thank you for the tips and the warning, I'll see the link you sent me, seems like a lot of good info.

 

1 hour ago, dwai said:

I'd recommend reading this material (available at the URL provided below) -- http://www.dlshq.org/download/kundalini.htm

Also would recommend finding a good yoga guru and studying under him/her. By good yoga guru, I don't mean going to a yoga studio and doing yoga postures. If you are capable of traveling, go to Mysore (Maisuru) in Karnataka, India, where there are many good yoga schools with bonafide teachers. Rishikesh in India is another good place.

 

Thank you, I've just downloaded the book. Unfortenetly though, I don't have the money to go to India so I'm doomed to study things by myself with the help of others, thank you

 

1 hour ago, s1va said:

Check out this post I created just some time back in this forum.  It is about tantra for beginners and my review of a certain book.  Books can provide some idea, but I think Jeff's suggestion may be the best thing for you to have a teacher to work with.

 

 

 

Thank you for the book sugestion, seems like a good reading

Yes, you guys are probably right about me getting a teacher but there is no such thing around my area, so I think I gotta do some work by myself

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites