AugustGreig

Nei Dan: A Beginner's Experience or How I Learned to Stop Asking a Million Questions and Love Meditation

5 hours ago, Nintendao said:

"When the Student is Ready, the Teacher Will Appear."

But then again, learning gongfu is a little different than meditation or qigong. You absolutely have to get to touch hands with the sifu and other students in order to really sense the difference as opposed to only swatting at air or inanimate objects. After that it is just a matter of doing the same thing over again a few thousand times to develop a certain strength and ingrained reflexes. I honestly don't have a frame of reference to how in-person practice would work in the qigong or neigong realms, but i like what @freeform is having to say here. Beyond that you may really have to start looking at things metaphysically; the more-than-meets-the-eye stuff, and I am likely to make a big fool of myself if i try write about that on any level beyond bantering about theoretical physics and deep ecology.  Hey i'm no hungry ghost buy i could go for a banana right about now!

Edited by Nintendao
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, yuuichi said:

I haven’t heard of any person who probably had a high level of Xing (like the Buddha, famous Buddhist monks throughout history, etc) who had the ability to become invisible/a ghost. There are a number of famous magical powers associated with meditation, but becoming a ghost or invisible isn’t one of them, at least not from what i’ve heard.

In the Akankheyya Sutta of the Majjhima-Nikaya, a detailed explanation for each of them is given by the Buddha Himself in the formof instruction as to how they may be acquired.

1. IDDHIVIDHA - THE POWER OF TRANSFORMATION.

The Buddha said "If a monk should frame a wish as follows: "Let me exercise the various magical powers, let me being one become multiform., let me being multiform become one, let me become visible,

become invisible,

go without hindrance through walls, ramparts or mountains as if through air, let me rise and sink in the ground as if in the water, let me walk on the water as if on unyielding ground, let me travel cross-legged through the air liked a winged bird, let me touch and feel with my hand the moon and the sun mighty and powerful though they are, and let me go without my body even up to the Brahma world," then must he be perfect in the precepts (Sila), bring his thoughts to a state of quiescence (Samadhi), practice diligently the trances (Jhana), attain to insight (Panna) and be frequenter to lonely places."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Taoist Texts said:

Nibbana is the end goal, immortal ghost is one of the stages leading to it

Is Nibbana the same as Sunyata and Wu Ji?

• Like 1