Lightseeker

How does penance or tapas give power?

There are many stories about Viswamitra and Hiranyakaskipu, who through their penance had gained incredible powers. However the penance was as simple as standing in one spot etc. How was it able to generate so much power??

The penance does not directly cause the effect. The practitioner becomes the practice, the tapasvin becomes the tapas, and so the mind is purified in such single-pointed devotion.

It reverts to its natural state as the pristine reflection of consciousness, thereby allowing for the seemingly miraculous to occur "through them."

Edited by neti neti
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rideforever said:

If you want power the practice won't work

If one doesn't want power the practice won't work either. :)

The general understanding is that to endure your tapas, you are forced to develop willpower. 

The common understanding is that the God to whom you dedicate your tapas becomes pleased and grants siddhis. 

• Thanks 1

I will try to explain acc. To my knowledge,the semen has two tattvas fire and water therefore the sexual energy has two tendencies it can either flow downward or upward

When doing tapas the fire element increases and it ascends

many times apsaras were sent so that the sexual energy of the practiioner move down which will prevent them from gaining power

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jalimloda said:

I will try to explain acc. To my knowledge,the semen has two tattvas fire and water therefore the sexual energy has two tendencies it can either flow downward or upward

When doing tapas the fire element increases and it ascends

many times apsaras were sent so that the sexual energy of the practiioner move down which will prevent them from gaining power

Hmm.. is this ascension of semen converted into ojas and stored in the brain? What happens when all of the semen is convicted into fire element?

21 minutes ago, Lightseeker said:

Hmm.. is this ascension of semen converted into ojas and stored in the brain? What happens when all of the semen is convicted into fire element?

JcbA23m.gif

• Haha 1