TomBrad

Glutamine to rebuild the gut

I've been reading some of William Bodri's books (e.g. "How To Clean Your Arteries", and "Look Younger, Live Longer"), and he goes into detail about what supplements can be used for nutrition, and to detox.  He makes the point that for proper digestion of nutrients, the gut has to be healthy and with no leakage, and he advocates supplementation with glutamine to do this.  I was wondering if the people on this group had tried this or had any opinions on it?

Another thing I'd like to know is this - if you're taking probiotics, does taking garlic and e.g. oil of oregano - in order to get rid of potential candida overgrowth - cause a die-off to occur in the gut's healthy bacteria?

Edited by TomBrad
Elaboration on description.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe garlic is a prebiotic so should be fine but I’ve read oregano oil will harm friendly bacteria and you should cycle on and off and you definitely should be taking probiotics when on and after the cycle to rebuild the colony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glutamine, if I remember correctly, is the most abundant amino acid needed for the body. It would make sense. When I was in my weight training days as a teenager, I took heavy doses of glutamine for recovery. I understand I didn't do a scientific experiment, and whether it was the placebo effect or not, I found recovery times to help when I dosed with gluatmine (5-15 grams a day).

I know chicken broth, made from chicken bones, has lots of glutamine in it. That could be why its so good for the gut (with the addition of gelatin). Try it. It's an amino acid, so as long as you build yourself up to a higher dose, I dont see any harm in ingesting it (it's like eating more meat). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes I've learned that L-glutamine does this. Important to have the pro and pre biotics, and to avoid foods that disrupt the gut.

Some people get a stool analysis to find foods that they get an allergic response to, and they go on an elimination diet to help the repair.

There's also the low-FODMAP diet that might be good for this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I drink probiotic before but i learned breath control and this helped me rebuild my gut which erased any trace of my autoimmune skin disorder before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1