Sign in to follow this  
Apech

Updates on Interviews

12 hours ago, dawei said:

Livia Kohn has agree to an interview !

2 hours ago, Apech said:

Livia Kohn is quite a catch. :)

I used to be on good terms with John Berthrong, a senior colleague of hers at BU, while you have already "hooked the big fish", maybe we can use that to further connections also.  Bertrhong's specialty was Confucianism, but he is a fine fellow and very knowledgeable.  We might find ourselves with some really good sources at Boston University.  They might not all be as well known as Professor Kohn, but might be really good sources of information, and interesting interviews too.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I used to be on good terms with John Berthrong, a senior colleague of hers at BU, while you have already "hooked the big fish", maybe we can use that to further connections also.  Bertrhong's specialty was Confucianism, but he is a fine fellow and very knowledgeable.  We might find ourselves with some really good sources at Boston University.  They might not all be as well known as Professor Kohn, but might be really good sources of information, and interesting interviews too.

I do think we can do interviews with various backgrounds... so maybe a door opens to finding more. thanks.

On 1/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, Apech said:

FYI:   I've done a Part I interview... her life and work experience.   the Part II will be, her works. 

• Like 1

Some potentially cool interviews IMO. 

1. Rob Williams 

2. Benebell Wen 

3. Darin Hamel 

4. Mark Griffin 

5. Dolama Mantas 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl Grey said:

I can contact Miss Wen and ask her since we have had a friendship prior to her publishing her work. Let me know and I will see what she thinks. 

I would be grateful if you do.  I'd love to be able to ask Miss Wen a few questions.  Also, if you can share anything you know (in case you do) about her practical work and/or any anecdotal evidence of her expertise, I'd be very interested.  Thanks for the offer.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I would be grateful if you do.  I'd love to be able to ask Miss Wen a few questions.  Also, if you can share anything you know (in case you do) about her practical work and/or any anecdotal evidence of her expertise, I'd be very interested.  Thanks for the offer.  

She has many videos here expressing her views on a variety of topics. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxy7GWlYL8RSb2JwJrzh8PA/videos

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

Miss Wen has agreed to do an interview enthusiastically.

Can any admin or others please give me some info on how to go about officially doing the interview here? Or do I just create a thread in the appropriate section and ask for people to send over questions then post them once she has sent them over to me? 

Thanks Earl Grey, I really appreciate your work on this, I did the best I could to promote her book here on the Dao Bums because I thought it had real value to someone who was interested.

As for the way we do interviews, there has been talk about a more formal approach, but so far we haven't worked that out.  If you PM me I will start work on it with staff and we will be happy to work with you, and I think Taomeow's input would be good too.

ZYD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Note: This may seem a little confusing, but when this was merged, this post which I had intended as an introduction was moved to the "end" because it was later than the others.  I don't know it there is a way around this.

Following up on what dawei said here:

On 1/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, dawei said:

3. We've discussed how to get the INTERVIEW area going again.. I've posted one and contacted two more... Livia Kohn has agree to an interview !   I'm still numb from that.   But let's throw out names, try to make cold contacts... some might work out

Thanks to dawei we are well on the way to the Livia Kohn interview, and it looks like we have an interview with author Benebel Wen lined up.  For those not familiar with her, there will be more about that later in the thread.  This thread will move some things out of our update thread in" Forum and Tech Support" and bring them here, where hopefully we can revive this once exciting aspect of the Dao Bums.

Zhongyongdaoist, Concierge

• Like 2

1. Forcing a split thread as the first, introduction when it is not the oldest post

Yes, splitting threads out and enforcing an order is not possible.  THe only workarounds may be:

a. You copy the intro you want as a [*quote*] to the first one and at the very top put in a staff comment this is a split thread, then have the intro post you want and then the naturally oldest post will continue below it.

b. Create the split by completely quoting... messy.

2. Barbara Wen

I setup some canned questions for interviews to be followed by adhoc ones... I already found that is not as easy as it seems. 

There used to be two interview sub-forums that were merged, but here is what we should do: 

a. Start a thread in Interviews as, "Questions for Barbara Wen"... let folks post to it.   Add these to the questions that staff would like and the interviewer would like.  If you want a staff person to do the write-up, that is fine, or as a review.

b. Then someone sends her the interview questions.   

3. Livia Kohn 

I completed with her, via a phone call interview,  a Part I that I call, 'Her Education and Life'...   Part II will be, 'Her Works'. 

On 1/13/2018 at 7:51 AM, Apech said:

~~~ SPLIT BY STAFF FROM ANOTHER THREAD ~~~

Just a shout out to Apech... on his last brief tour of duty, he made a few recommendations and one of them was to revive the interviews.   Thank you :)

• Like 3

On 3/7/2018 at 2:19 PM, dawei said:

3. Livia Kohn 

I completed with her, via a phone call interview,  a Part I that I call, 'Her Education and Life'...   Part II will be, 'Her Works'.

I complete part II today.  Have to get it onto paper.  I could talk with her for days on end... fascinating person.

• Like 1

Some background information that I looked up whilst waiting for the interview......

5b06075b6cc5a_LiviaKohn2015.jpg.77810bc7b2b96ece585819a137448537.jpg

Livia Kohn (left), Lindsay Wei (right) at a Daoist conference in 2015.

Livia Kohn, Ph. D., graduated from Bonn University, Germany, in 1980. After six years at Kyoto University in Japan, she joined Boston University as Professor of Religion and East Asian Studies in 1988. She has also worked variously as visiting professor and adjunct faculty at Eötvös Lorand University in Budapest, the Stanford Center for Japanese Studies in Kyoto, Union Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio, San Francisco State University, and the Taoist College Singapore.

Her specialty is the study of the Daoist religion and Chinese long life practices. She has written and edited 35 books and over 100 articles, as well as translated works from the German, French, Chinese, and Japanese. She retired from active teaching in 2006 and now lives in St. Petersburg, Florida, from where she continues to write books, serves as the executive editor of the Journal of Daoist Studies, and manages Three Pines Press, the Western voice of Daoism (www.threepinespress.com). In addition, she still serves on numerous committees and editorial boards, leads Daoist Qigong and Core Health workshops worldwide, and is the lead organizer of a series of major international conferences on Daoism.

Her books include Taoist Meditation and Longevity Techniques (1989), Early Chinese Mysticism (1992), God of the Dao (1998), Daoism Handbook (2000), Monastic Life in Medieval Daoism (2003), Cosmos and Community (2004), Daoist Body Cultivation (2006), Meditation Works (2008), Sitting in Oblivion (2010), Daoist Dietetics (2010), A Source Book in Chinese Longevity (2012), Zhuangzi: Text and Context (2014), and—most recently—Pristine Affluence: Daoist Roots in the Stone Age (2017).

In terms of self-cultivation, she began practicing Taiji quan in the 1970s and dedicated herself to Vipassana Meditation for 20 years, beginning in 1981. She is also a certified instructor of Kripalu Yoga, Qigong, and Scottish Country Dancing. Most recently, she is a leading facilitator of Core Health and co-author of Core Health: The Quantum Way to Inner Power (2012) (www.corehealth.us).

Edited by Yueya
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this