Gunther

Cutting the root of desire

15 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I don't view you as being a Nihilist.

Don't worry about what Buddha supposedly said, listen to Chuang Tzu.

For those who can take it there is nothing. Nothing.

But that nothing is aware of itself. (Awareness needs no object)I know, have seen that. Therefore I am not a nihilist

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1

A thousand clouds, ten thousand streams,

Here I live, an idle man,

Roaming green peaks by day,

Back to sleep by cliffs at night.

One by one, springs and autumns go,

Free of heat and dust, my mind.

Sweet to know there’s nothing I need,

Silent as the autumn river’s flood.

Han Shan

Cold mountain

Here is wet and windy

Sitting by the woodburner

In my rusty old van

Cheerio daobums😀😀😀

Bright water shimmers like crystal,

Translucent to the furthest depth.

Mind is free of every thought

Unmoved by the myriad things.

Since it can never be stirred

It will always stay like this.

Knowing, this way, you can see,

There is no within, no without

So what is he on about?

Any ideas?

Edited by Gunther

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

Nor do I. But it's pretty clear that our range of perception is very limited.i don't feel Chuang Tsu is materialistic, just not specific about the mystery. 

No, Chuang Tzu was not a Materialist.  He was a mystic.  He spoke about reality and asked about mystery.  Regarding mystery (Wu), those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak.  He asked us to ask ourself questions.

I asked and got no answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunther said:

So what is he on about?

Any ideas?

Seems to be satisfied with his conditions.  Both Wu and Yu (Mystery and Manifest).

Has (s)he perhaps found peace and contentment?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marblehead said:

No, Chuang Tzu was not a Materialist.  He was a mystic.  He spoke about reality and asked about mystery.  Regarding mystery (Wu), those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak.  He asked us to ask ourself questions.

I asked and got no answers.

That's called Zen

The questions dissolve, but no answers. A clear space, neither emptiness nor form. But potentially either/or/both

You said you are a materialist😀

Edited by Gunther

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

That's called Zen

The questions dissolve, but no answers. A clear space, neither emptiness nor form. But potentially either/or/both

You said you are a materialist😀

I don't speak Zen.

Yes, I am a Materialist.  After that others can put whatever labels on me they feel are fitting.  I have been questioned about that before.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marblehead said:

I don't speak Zen.

Yes, I am a Materialist.  After that others can put whatever labels on me they feel are fitting.  I have been questioned about that before.

A materialist reading mystics

That's not a label. Just fact😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gunther said:

A materialist reading mystics

That's not a label. Just fact😀

Wait till I start telling you about Nietzsche.

• Like 1

“The greatest of  woes comes from not knowing contentment; the greatest of faults comes from craving for gains.”

“Amid the exuberance of woods, a bird needs only one branch to build its nest,”

So, why do humans take more than they need?

live a simple, spontaneous way of life by freeing ourselves from greed and craving for more than we need, regardless of how we define “need” in different social and cultural contexts.

When the negative and the positive are seen as an integrated whole in harmony, life has no problem at all. All problems are created by man out of ignorance of the Way of nature. 

Learning to develop a new insight that fortune and misfortune contain each other can help us avoid mental frustrations when misfortune strikes. The same insight applies to other dualities such as success and failure, health and illness, praise and blame, desire and no desire things separate are an error like doing to much or to little both are errors

Edited by Wu Ming Jen
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Marblehead said:

I don't speak Zen.

Not sure what I am.

So far I have maximised minimalism

And gone to extremes on the middle way

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Not sure what I am.

So far I have maximised minimalism

And gone to extremes on the middle way

Yeah, labels really aren't of any importance.

Good to the maximizing minimalism.

I almost always speak against extremes.  But do speak favorably of the middle way.

(But sometimes the middle way gets boring.  Most of us need a little excitement in our life now and then.)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Wu Ming Jen said:

“The greatest of  woes comes from not knowing contentment; the greatest of faults comes from craving for gains.”

“Amid the exuberance of woods, a bird needs only one branch to build its nest,”

So, why do humans take more than they need?

live a simple, spontaneous way of life by freeing ourselves from greed and craving for more than we need, regardless of how we define “need” in different social and cultural contexts.

When the negative and the positive are seen as an integrated whole in harmony, life has no problem at all. All problems are created by man out of ignorance of the Way of nature. 

Learning to develop a new insight that fortune and misfortune contain each other can help us avoid mental frustrations when misfortune strikes. The same insight applies to other dualities such as success and failure, health and illness, praise and blame, desire and no desire things separate are an error like doing to much or to little both are errors

you are not allowed to sit on soft chairs or sofas or have a soft comfy bed, never. Also food you eat the bad parts and not take too much...

You will become triggered from very little things and interruptions, your sensitivity will skyrocket. And you will notice that when you break your discipline you lose sensitivity and it will make you feel bad and regret.

Ok, then peeps ask what is the point of that practice? Its for to get satisfaction and taste what it feels to sit on a comfy chair. Mind can form a physical taste to satisfy the need for comfort, and that is just one sensation what apply to many things.

There are much more other things discovered.

there is no violence in nirvana, there you can't get a taste of it and more, you will learn it where it is occuring by not violating.

And you need female egg. Actually the cultivation is to get females they have egg.

Edited by allinone

I agree with much of Gunther's responses. In my own humble opinion, it has come to my attention that the condition is simply part of the position, frequency, state of where you are in the energy body flow. The more "dense", the more greed, lust, self, ego is present. As you move away from this, with meditation and practices that actually create a new "dent" or a new "position" for conscious awareness to rest, these issues no longer exist. But you may create new issues, or new levels of crazy, or some other unnecessary dent as you go.

Each person will have a particular configuration of energy, and has probably "plucked" the strings of energy related to desires often enough that it has become quite a dent, and very difficult to smooth it out again or take away from.

As we have seen in literature, some of these energy strings become very permanent, personality items that are dragged across the universe, however strange or quirky.

So, in this case, the new dent becomes the place without, the place where these things do not exist "naturally" and here the awareness exists without any forcing it, or energy expenditure. It is natural, a natural shift.

I have discovered that many items are like this. Extreme joy is suddenly present, without effort, for example. Simply because that string of energy has been energized by your own awareness of it. Plucked, if you will, like a guitar string. We are none of this, we are simply witness to it all and are allowed to experience it. Touching on it, bathing in it, but not really any of it. The dent in the sphere of energy is simply that, a dent. A spot where your awareness comes to rest and assembles the world around us, and how you interact with that world. By becoming this awareness, and not what the awareness is energizing, we stay forever fluid.

I do not think it is the only possible version of "me", or the only way of being, but it is part of my energy field. I can choose to activate some strings of energy, or not, by bundling the selected "better" strings of energy. The current bundle of energy strings, if it contains lust, greed, and other things you may find undesireable, is probably just a comfort zone created by your life and circumstance up to this point. As you create new avenues for expression and creation, new levels of meditation, and relax that death grip on that bundle, you will create new bundles of energy where your awareness sits. The more you sit there, the more normal and comfortable it becomes. Yet, in my humble opinion, you can and will slide around and sometimes visit that old dent. Just remember it is fleeting, not you, just a place to rest your awareness that you learned to use.

Also remember, lust, greed, desire are not necessary for survival. The more you become the awareness itself, the floating witness, the less you "belong" to being tied down by dents in the energy sphere, the less you feel that these strings of energy define you or have any power over you.

That was my humble opinion...

Stay fluid my friends

• Like 1

★★ What Is "Treasury of True Dharma Eye"?

◆ Chan Master Yumen Wenyan, the Dharma heir of Xuefeng Yicun, expounded on the marrow of the Suddenness Chan: 

● A monk asked Yumen,“What is the Treasury of True Dharma Eye?”Yumen said,“It pervades everywhere!”
 ● A monk asked Yumen,“What is Each-and-Every-Dust Samadhi?”Yumen said,“Rice in the bowl, water in the bucket.” 
 (《Discourse Record of Chan Master Yumen Wenyan》)

▲ In his〈Song of Enlightenment〉, Chan Master Yongjia Xuanjue said,“The true nature of ignorance is Buddha-nature; The illusory empty body is itself the Dharma Body. After realizing the Dharma Body, there is not a single thing; The intrinsic self-nature is the innate buddha.” It clearly pointed out that the Treasury of True Dharma Eye is the self-nature, or true nature, or Buddha-nature, or the nature of emptiness, and it pervades everywhere ― All sentient beings in the universe have inherent great mind-capacity that“the self-nature can embrace all things, and all things are within the self-nature.” Therefore, Master Yumen used“It pervades everywhere!”to respond to the question“What is the Treasury of True Dharma Eye?”. 

In the《Avatamsaka Sutra》, Sakyamuni Buddha preached about “Each-and-Every-Dust Samadhi” as follows:“Entry into samadhi in each dust accomplishes all samadhis within every dust; yet there is no increasing in that one dust which universally manifests inconceivable worlds.”  Once upon a time, there was a monk who asked Chan Master Yumen about “What is Each-and-Every-Dust Samadhi?” While straightly responding with “Rice in the bowl, water in the bucket,” Master Yumen obviously gave a direct pointing at the marrow of Suddenness Chan that it is the Dharma Realm of the One Reality in which there is non-interference among all phenomena.   Chan practitioners, who have ultimate and complete realization in “patient rest in non-arising,” have just now directly actualized the realms of all Buddhas regarding non-arising & manifestation and effortlessness & spontaneousness, together with having penetrated into all dharmas and having ascended the rank of Buddhahood at the right moment.

▲ All Chan/Zen fellow-practitioners !
―→ ● Once directly let go of self-centered attachment and perfectly tame the habit of self-centeredness, at the very moment you are able to realize the Chan realm of“All things are not apart from self-nature; the self-nature can manifest all things.”‧― non-interference among all phenomena, or non-interference among phenomena and noumena. 

―→ ● You merely become an ordinary being, respond to the ordinary matters and live the ordinary life with straightforward mind, or ordinary mind, or mind of pure awareness of self-nature. Then, at the right moment you are the ordinary person of the Way with nothing to do, and the ordinary leisure-fellow of effortlessness.

🙏❤🙏💛🙏💜🙏

On 11/10/2017 at 6:47 PM, Gunther said:

Enlightenment is the happiness independent of outer circumstances.

Hi Gunther,

Yes it pertains to a path with an inner map.

What a laugh at the simplicity of it.

A laugh followed by an inner smile?

What could be easier than sit down, relax, entertain/pursue no desire and be happy. This is called cutting the root of desire.

Because the root chakras is connected to the crown chakras  - and the seven become One?

Let's sit down and relax to this...

- LimA