Lost in Translation

Do nothing, leave nothing undone

I was watching a movie about a police officer. Every day he goes out onto the streets to keep the peace. He never knows what the day might bring. Each day might be his last. Every time he captures a criminal, a new one invariably takes the old one's place.

It's never ending, yet this officer is at peace. He's not trying to save the world. He's not even trying to change it. He knows that's impossible. He does his job, and will continue to do his job until he can't.

I think that is a brilliant way to approach life.

• Like 6

Agree.  A great way to view our everyday life.  The processes of Nature is are what they are.  The nature of the human animal is what it is.

Chop wood, carry water.  However, make sure new trees are planted and make sure the source of your water remains clean.

• Like 5

On 10/21/2017 at 10:03 AM, Lost in Translation said:

I think that is a brilliant way to approach life.

Hi Lost in Translation,

Do nothing, leave nothing undone = Wu wei?

- LimA

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lost in Translation said:

Sure, wei not?

Hi Lost in Translation,

Yes, why not? So do nothing and be a nobody en-route to the VOID.

Do nothing and everything is done. 

Be a nobody and no one is gunned.

So do not do everything, anything and something.

And everybody, anybody and somebody can sing

Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, Nobody

- LimA

Edited by Limahong
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Lost in Translation,

Yes, why not? So do nothing and be a nobody en-route to the VOID.

Do nothing and everything is done. 

Be a nobody and no one is gunned.

So do not do everything, anything and something.

And everybody, anybody and somebody can sing

Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, Nobody

- LimA

I enjoyed that. Thank you.

Imagine if the sun got bored of rising every morning. Tired of providing light and heat for people it didn't want to. One day, decided to quit.

I constantly remind myself about this every morning and every night before I work, or before I clean the house that I only cleaned a week ago.

Thanks for the post!

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rara said:

Imagine if the sun got bored of rising every morning. Tired of providing light and heat for people it didn't want to. One day, decided to quit.

That would be... odd.

On a related note, I had an epiphany of sorts. Imagine that a human, his dog, and his cat all died and went to heaven. God's there and he tells them (imagine this in the voice of Ricardo Montalban from Fantasy Island) "Welcome to Heaven. You may live here for all Eternity (tm). You will never age, get sick, or injured. You will never need to work, or want for any comfort of any kind. Please, enjoy!".

What would likely happen?

The dog and cat would go off and do what they always do. Eat, pee, sleep, bark, climb, lick, etc. The human would be overjoyed with happiness and relief.

Fast forward 10,000,000,000 years...

The dog and cat would go off and do what they always do. Eat, pee, sleep, bark, climb, lick, etc. The human would be in hell. Every day he would pray to be released from this torture.

That, dear friends, is why death and forgetfulness are a blessing in disguise.

40 minutes ago, Lost in Translation said:

The dog and cat would go off and do what they always do. Eat, pee, sleep, bark, climb, lick, etc. The human would be in hell. Every day he would pray to be released from this torture.

That, dear friends, is why death and forgetfulness are a blessing in disguise.

Hi Lost in Translation,

In the wuwei realm, he should be 'dog-less' and 'cat-less'. He does not need to pray. Just give his dog and cat to the society of prevention of cruelty to animals. Then be 'wuwei-ful' and embrace the TAO.

That, dear friend, is why wuwei is a blessing in the TAO.

Good night.

- LimA

• Like 1