morning dew

Is Alfred Huang a reliable translator?

Now we are cooking using the right ingredients, transmuting or cooking, not too hot, not too cool.

The recipe with ingredients are all listed in the alchemy text, even more so in the scriptures used by Taoist priest.. The true ingredients are formless. physical  lead sinks, True lead  is the original spirit. The acquired spirit floats called true merqury, physical mercury tends to fly off and be volatile. The  meaning is that the wrong spirit is in charge when actually it is only a guest. sooo cause what sinks to float and that which floats to sink.. 

If people really wish to begin cooking an apprenticeship with a master chef is a great way to go. When using non physical ingredients we become more familiar with the eternal aspects of our true selves. maybe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harmen said:

The Secret of the Golden Flower does not teach me how to make moussaka. 

when the cook is ready, the moussaka will appear

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Taoist Texts said:

when the cook is ready, the moussaka will appear

If that were true the ingredients would not be important anymore. Likewise knowing what Yang Fire is does not tell me how to advance it (nor how to retreat it).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harmen said:

Likewise knowing what Yang Fire is does not tell me how to advance it (nor how to retreat it).

Its because you dont know it)

Its because you dont know it)

Ah, but I do know it because Liu told me how to recognize it and use it.

• Like 1

Great. What is Yang Fire ?

That's a topic that does not fit in this thread so I suggest you start a new one at the appropriate place.

I am not fluent in Chinese, but have Chinese language references and understand the approach to grammar somewhat. I wouldn't expect Master Huang's translation to be necessarily "the best" just because he is Chinese. He is also pretty Confucian in approach. That's OK but it is just one aspect of the jewel. But reading and responding with the heart-mind to the Yi and surviving by it as he did in hard imprisonment for a number years, certainly gives him some cred imo. If we think encountering the Yi is very dependent on an "accurate" translation I don't thinks so, because Chinese is  such a many- nuanced lingo there are many opinions. I read Master Huang's work for the info re the original characters and some inputs from Chinese culture that do help. I, like others, have two or three references to get a more complete 'taste' of a gua. Wilhelm's is always valuable but necessarily dated in some aspects. Also very Confucian in stress. My final measure is how the particular version confronts me and challenges. My primary one, with the characters laid out with expanded meanings is the word by word one by Bradford Hatcher. "The Book of Changes" Vol. 2. Meeting with the Yi is not just an academic exercise, but somewhat also of a meditative kind, for me.  

Edited by Anzhi
  • Like 1

I met master Huang and have a sighed copy of the I ching he published. He told us about the prison time for being a Taoist during the revolution. 

Master huang also explained how to read the symbols, the trigrams and hexagram arrangements with no words. Before literacy was a thing most did not read so the symbolic language was used.

• Like 2