Sign in to follow this  
ralis

Stefan Molyneux Exposed.

On 6/12/2017 at 1:53 AM, ralis said:

His duplicitous apologetic statement in which he claims to be a racist and not a bigot is insulting and possibly dangerously misleading to vulnerable persons seeking answers.

That seems injust to me. He said, as you quoted, but some of which you didn't:

Like the word anarchy, I believe the sophists have corrupted the words racism, and sexism. They have lumped numerous definitions into this one word, and have weighed it down. They use racism to mean supremacist, negatively prejudice, stereotype driven, hateful, and misogynistic.

There are very real differences between race, and sex. Do you agree with my analysis of the words racism, and sexism? If so, do you believe the words can, or even should be rehabilitated? If not, I am curious to where you think I have miss-stepped?

Why is it insulting that he is saying he believes in 'race' and 'sex' and that these things differ between us, but that he is not 'prejudiced' - a meaning added to the word which he is questioning?

And since there are people including those considered expert in the field of study who believe in IQ differences between races, even if this is totally wrong, why would believing in such research stats (there is more than just that study) make him so bad? Maybe he's wrong on that point, but that doesn't make him a bad person for believing it.

I might add that if we talk about research, one thing about stereotypes (or similar paradigms) is that they are generally displaced the moment someone becomes an individual for interaction. They are the labeling all our brains do for many good reasons naturally. They usually exist (not always, but usually) for a fairly good reason, but they exist only because some basic mapping definitions must if there is no other information to displace it. Even people having them -- and I posit everyone does in some fashion -- doesn't make them prejudiced "in practice" -- they may have an expectation (e.g. that asians are often smart or hard-working or both) but it's going to vanish or be set aside when comes an individual they interact with. An opinion has to be a really power "pathology" to NOT be displaced by "more information" that interaction brings.

I think our culture is suffering that we do not have a better language or use of the language. We do tend to glom many meanings together and pollute words with that, which then have so much 'baggage' their lexicon meaning is buried under the weight of it. Stereotypes are not bad, they just are, UNLESS held "rigidly" enough to mess up, say, who you call for an interview, or how you interpret someone asking you for the time. And that isn't about the stereotype, it's about the extreme psychology that individual has attached to it. On their own, stereotypes are just "placeholders for lack of more/better information."

RC

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 8:10 AM, Stosh said:

Why is anyone saying anything after I posted the final truth of the matter? 

ROFL

That may be the single funniest post I have read on the internet in months at least.

I suspect people often THINK this but most aren't plaintive enough to actually SAY it. :-)

RC

• Like 2

Google can't wrap their head around men being more inclined to programming than woman, afraid of being labeled as "sexist" they completely dismiss the possibility and fire employees who voice their opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/10/im-not-a-sexist-fired-google-engineer-stands-behind-controversial-memo/?utm_term=.e899cd92eb39

Google's democratic demeanor is actually dumbing them down.

On 8/10/2017 at 10:03 AM, MooNiNite said:

Google can't wrap their head around men being more inclined to programming than woman, afraid of being labeled as "sexist" they completely dismiss the possibility and fire employees who voice their opinion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/10/im-not-a-sexist-fired-google-engineer-stands-behind-controversial-memo/?utm_term=.e899cd92eb39

Google's democratic demeanor is actually dumbing them down.

That is a very sexist/bigoted statement. 

20841776_2024965997517263_18610344090472

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ralis said:

That is a very sexist/bigoted statement. 

20841776_2024965997517263_18610344090472

No, it is actually a perfectly accurate statement.  He didn't say men are better at programming than women or that women shouldn't be allowed to be programmers or that women are never programmers -- he said that men are more inclined to programming than women.  This is true.  The educational system has been working hard for a couple decades now to convince females, starting at a very early age, that STEM programs are things they should give a chance and explore because they might find they enjoy them.  Males are significantly over-represented in programming, in the broader IT field, and in the STEM disciplines in general -- NOT because female are being excluded from them but because they are self-selecting not to pursue them.

That Margaret Hamilton is as germane to the discussion as this one:

Spoiler

Annex%20-%20Hamilton,%20Margaret%20(Wiza

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this