s1va

Kundalini book - explained from Lalitha Sahasranama

I was browsing kindle and on suggested reading, found this book "Kundalini - An Untold Story" by Om Swami. I had some pressing questions on Kundalini based on experiences I was going through.  The book was given free with Kindle Unlimited.  I thought, why not check this book out real quick?

I started reading and surprisingly I could not put the book down.  I put down after completing the book.  I haven't done such reading from cover to cover (single sitting) in a long time.  The narration is simply brilliant, capturing the attention of the reader.

My initial thought, this must be another book on Kundalini with pictures on chakras that talk about raising this sleeping snake.  The stars on chakras, their colors, the visions, the siddhis, the whole nine yards....

To my surprise the book was completely different. The title is apt, it is an 'Untold Story'.  Not only is Swami's experience enthralling.  Swami explains the entire process of Kundalini in a new light, starting with the story of Daksha Prajapati, the great yajna he conducted.  How, he chose to insult Shiva.  How Sati choses to leave her body.  The metaphorical meaning of the entire story explained is simply beautiful.  This story seems to happen in all of us.  Due to the ignorance of Daksha in all of us, the shakti goes dormant in muladhara in each one of us.  Then she takes the birth as Himavati (Parvati).  From a human body, she had to raise up, transcend the human body, climb up with bhakti and dedication, to reach and become one with Shiva again.  This story seems to play out in all of us.  Those who had read parts of Shiva Purana or Skanda Purana must be familiar with the story of Daksha.  One can be familiar with the story from reading comics also  :)

The book starts with this story of Daksha, continues narrating, how this knowledge of tantra, was first taught by Lord Shiva to sage Agasthya. How by a series of steps, it comes to Sri Veda Vyasa.  Then it tells the story of how Lalitha Sahasranama was revealed by Sri Hayagriva.  

Those who have chanted Lalitha Sahasranama will know, that it talks about all the Chakras.  It talks about Brahma Granthi, Vishnu Granthi and Rudra Granthi.  All of these are the names of divine mother.  The book goes on to expound Kundalini purely from the perspective of Lalitha Sahasranama.  It is a very interesting read.

514bYaE5fhL.jpg

Edited by Cauvery
  • Like 6

I was browsing kindle and on suggested reading, found this book "Kundalini - An Untold Story" by Om Swami. I had some pressing questions on Kundalini based on experiences I was going through.  The book was given free with Kindle Unlimited.  I thought, why not check this book out real quick?

I started reading and surprisingly I could not put the book down.  I put down after completing the book.  I haven't done such reading from cover to cover (single sitting) in a long time.  The narration is simply brilliant, capturing the attention of the reader.

My initial thought, this must be another book on Kundalini with pictures on chakras that talk about raising this sleeping snake.  The stars on chakras, their colors, the visions, the siddhis, the whole nine yards....

To my surprise the book was completely different. The title is apt, it is an 'Untold Story'.  Not only is Swami's experience enthralling.  Swami explains the entire process of Kundalini in a new light, starting with the story of Daksha Prajapati, the great yajna he conducted.  How, he chose to insult Shiva.  How Sati choses to leave her body.  The metaphorical meaning of the entire story explained is simply beautiful.  This story seems to happen in all of us.  Due to the ignorance of Daksha in all of us, the shakti goes dormant in muladhara in each one of us.  Then she takes the birth as Himavati (Parvati).  From a human body, she had to raise up, transcend the human body, climb up with bhakti and dedication, to reach and become one with Shiva again.  This story seems to play out in all of us.  Those who had read parts of Shiva Purana or Skanda Purana must be familiar with the story of Daksha.  One can be familiar with the story from reading comics also  :)

The book starts with this story of Daksha, continues narrating, how this knowledge of tantra, was first taught by Lord Shiva to sage Agasthya. How by a series of steps, it comes to Sri Veda Vyasa.  Then it tells the story of how Lalitha Sahasranama was revealed by Sri Hayagriva.  

Those who have chanted Lalitha Sahasranama will know, that it talks about all the Chakras.  It talks about Brahma Granthi, Vishnu Granthi and Rudra Granthi.  All of these are the names of divine mother.  The book goes on to expound Kundalini purely from the perspective of Lalitha Sahasranama.  It is a very interesting read.

514bYaE5fhL.jpg

Yes it is a very good read. I own a copy as well..

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.  This passage leapt out at me for its clarity when skimming through the preview:

"Awakening the kundalini is reaching your innermost state of bliss and joy. The state is covered with ten layers - desire, anger, greed, attachment, ego, passion, jealously, hatred, fear and self-concern. As you elevate spiritually, you start shedding these layers. These avarana, layers, veil the true you."

• Like 4

I am now reading another title by the same author.  This one is also available free as part of Kindle Unlimited.

The Wellness Sense: A practical guide to your physical and emotional health based on Ayurvedic and yogic wisdom

I have read many books on Ayurveda.  Here the author writes it from his experiential knowledge on the subject.  Once again, the narration, the structure of the book, are brilliant.  A common man with no knowledge of Ayurveda, can read the book and get a very good understanding on the subject.

More than knowing Ayurveda, this book is about "wellness", as the title states.  To get away from physical, mental and emotional diseases, just by following some simple and practical steps.  Steps, anyone living anywhere, can easily integrate into their lives.  I would strongly suggest this book to anyone suffering from physical or mental health issues.  Also, to those with interest in Ayurveda.  Understand the process of disease, prevent them before they manifest.

• Like 3

The way the Swami narrates his struggles, how he persisted, this story can bring forth great inspiration.  Anyone that thinks that they are facing huge challenges, odds are against them, they are down, they can't succeed.  Just read some of these passages.  This could bring the inspiration needed at times of desperation.

After meditating for thousands of hours and performing austerities, in seclusion, in Himalayas, in conditions that most people can't imagine staying for a single day, Swami sees no results.  None at all!  Read some of it in his own words....  How he persisted and overcame.... 

I want to mention that the Swami's experiences are only few pages on the entire book.  The book is not about that.  It is about Kundalini as explained above.

The extraordinary struggles and hardships that Swami undergoes without any results:

Iremember it was snowing outside, very heavily. No birds were chirping, no boars were snorting around my hut, no deers were bleating. Trees were not swaying and winds were not blowing. It was utterly quiet as snowflakes would land softly on the roof of my hut and on the ground outside..............................................................................................

Several months had passed and even after meditating of a few thousand hours, I had not felt any persistent sensations on my chakras. There was no sign of any kundalini awakening. All I had gained till date was excruciating aches and pains arising from sitting still for extremely long periods, and a constant company of the wild animals.
I sat still while tears continued to trickle down my eyes. The first many drops would simply disappear in my growing beard but eventually as the flow continued, they began landing on my chest...................................................................

These were not tears of devotion or bliss though. I was crying because I was extremely tired and exhausted. The exhaustion that I had once experienced from running my own business and working in five different time zones was miniscule compared to what I was going through now............................................................................................

Ever since I had gone to the Himalayas, I had followed a strict routine of meditation with utmost discipline; never faltering even once. I ate a frugal meal once in twenty-four hours to avoid lethargy. Living in sub-zero temperature for the most part, I bathed every day in icy water. I took only short naps so I could devote all my time to intense meditation. I slept and sat on the floor, devoid of any comfortable mattresses, to maintain a state of constant alertnessI had even forgotten what it was like to sit in a chair.   Months had passed and I had not eaten a square meal or slept on a bed. My hut was rundown, tucked away in the woods, far from civilization. The chilly winds would run through my bones like water through a sponge. There was no electricity, no flushing toilet and no running water. It was an ancient environment, the kind that the great rishis lived in once.

Completely disconnected from the outside world, with no human contact, I observed strict silence and solitude. I had given up on everything I possibly could, except just my own life, and yet there was no light. I didn’t think that the forces of nature were testing me. Instead, I felt they were humiliating me. Yes, I felt humiliated because foregoing all reason and sense, I had left everything behind to pursue my calling. Maybe, I had dialled the wrong number or maybe my calling was a hoax.

And, I didn’t know what was more humiliating – to give up my years of pursuit with an admission that I had blindly devoted and wasted my life for a cause that amounted to nothing or to continue my sadhana without knowing if there was any truth to it at all......................................................................................................................................

“What are you trying to do? What are you hoping to accomplish? Do you really think you can awaken kundalini in this day and age? Do you think that God will show up in person? You crack me up, you do. I can’t believe you, with all your education and exposure, you believe in this nonsense.” My mind often barged into my sadhana with such questions and statements. It would try to shake my faith and demean me. It even succeeded, but only temporarily and occasionally..............................................................

Spring had arrived. Yet my own heart was barren like a winter garden covered with snow – cold and white. There was no harmony, no melody and no rhythm in my existence. I was still a struggling meditator. Clinging to my exhausting routine, I was still meditating with all the fervour and courage I could muster.............................................................

Everything in nature had either grown, evolved or moved on. Everything and everyone, except me. I was still where I had begun – clueless. There were occasional experiences and visions but nothing that was consistent and persistent.......................................................

Unwavering dedication and persistence while facing such huge obstacles & challenges:  

I did know one thing: if I had any chance at discovering my own truth, it would not come by quitting.

With a view to persist, once again, I would wipe my tears and renew my resolve and resume my meditation with great determination and faith. That does not mean though that my path somehow became easier just because by vowing to not give up. On the contrary, the firmer I resolved, the louder became the voice of the inner critic. I had faith alright, but I also had a sceptical mind that was ever eager to reason.

My questioning mind wasn’t a challenge, my doubting mind was. Each one of us has two minds, you know. Our positive mind is like the beautiful musk deer. It runs through the jungle of emotions and thoughts spreading fragrance. It is swift, agile, and confident and it doesn’t collide. It carves its own path. So is our negative mind, unfortunately, which is like an ugly cockroach with two irritating antennas of self-doubt and negativity. It walks through our delicious food of hope, our clean home of dreams. It breeds rapidly. It reminds you constantly that you don’t have it in you or that you don’t deserve it.

You build castles of hope and dreams, but one wave of self-doubt or one pounding of guilt and it turns into a dike of dune, almost indistinguishable from the rest of the beach. And you start to see yourself as just a tiny particle of sand, of dust, like everyone else in the world, on the beach. You begin to think that you have nothing special in you, that you can’t possibly be the castle or live in one. The path of sadhana for me was not much dissimilar. On some days I would feel that I was progressing but just the next day it would all feel pointless..................................................

I learned to not battle my scepticism but to ignore it. By shifting my attention, I figured a way to keep my consciousness yoked to my object of meditation. I chose faith over self-doubt. I picked discipline over procrastination. I settled for hope over despair. I kept meditating like the Ganges – ceaseless and flowing. Meanwhile, monsoons had come and gone.......................................................

Swami, Om. Kundalini — An Untold Story: A Himalayan Mystic's Insight into the Power of Kundalini and Chakra Sadhana (Kindle Locations 911-914). Black Lotus. Kindle Edition. 

Until, Finally he starts seeing results:

Other than the fleeting experiences and intermittent sensations, although very deep, there was nothing else to bank on.

Until one day...........................................................

It would be unfair, if I describe his resulting experiences here.  It is for the interested readers to find out from the book.  There has to be some suspense  :)

Truly inspiring story.  The Swami says, we all can do it, the way he did it, if we chose to.

Read the book and enjoy!

• Like 4