Sign in to follow this  
Perceiver

Is 13 really an unlucky number?

Is the number 13 really an unlucky number - or merely a cultural phenomenon?

From a more general perspective: Are there any "real" objects or processes - physical or meta-physical - that cause "bad luck" to people? Obviously doing harm to other people and denying your true path might cause the universe to steer away from you, I presume..

What are your thoughts?

Not only in the West is this number shunned, but in many parts of Asia, especially among the majority of Chinese folks, there is a strong aversion to 13 because adding 1 and 3 = 4, which in Cantonese rhymes with 'death'. Even though on its own 13 is actually an auspicious Cantonese number, equating to an assurance of success and longevity, this is not enough to augur a preference for its usage, whether as a number on a residential address, or even as car registration number. 

From a feng shui perspective, misfortune and negativity can be averted thru the application of various means, or to put it positively, the environment and objects in it have certain beneficial albeit inert qualities. Most people have some sort of inbuilt sense of wanting to arrange things neatly, to declutter, a preference for light, clean air, pure water, etc, but not a lot of people have an eye for harmoniously blending all of these factors together in such a manner as to allow the various components to mesh in such a way so as to bestow the highest benefit to those who happen to find themselves in that environment. 

This is a subject which i am not too well-versed in, but i believe someone like Taomeow, if she would graciously share her thoughts, will have excellent insight into this topic at hand and do it great justice. 

• Like 1

I go with cultural phenomena.   As I recollect 13 is bad for a couple of historic events; one of which on a Friday the 13th the Catholic Church sprung a trap to destroy the relatively powerful Knights Templar.  It's better then being in Japan where 4 is unlucky or China where 4, 13 and 14 are considered bad luck.  Colors are similar, different colors different meanings.

Superstitions aren't all bad.  Being on the lookout for 'signs' can hone awareness but creating unnecessary states of fear is generally something to stay away from. 

• Like 1

CT,

thank you kindly for the endorsement, but don't ask me about this one -- I was born on the 13th... 

• Like 2

My house number is 420, which according to my wife is one of the worst numbers in her native Japan. I use a vaastu cd to purify the house from time to time.

CT,

thank you kindly for the endorsement, but don't ask me about this one -- I was born on the 13th... 

Lol no worries, Taomeow. 

What i actually had in mind was to seek your deep knowledge on the art and science of feng shui, but only when/if you are willing, naturally  :)

Sign in to follow this