Sign in to follow this  
joeblast

For the first time ever, bees added to endangered species list

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/7-bee-species-declared-endangered/

:(

I used to watch my uncle tend to his honey bees as often as I could, back in the day.  Shit like this makes me want to get some bees.  (and then maybe a dog, that shoots bees out of its mouth when it barks :lol: )

ack in the day we had a local museum which had a ee hive where we could watch the ees come and go. Our garden contains species to encourage ees and other wildlife. Can't eat the taste of fresh honeycom spread thickly on uttered toast.

• Like 2

whatchou got against Bs, man?  :lol:

I'm getting used to the time when they might ecome extinct. The English language will miss them terri ly.

• Like 1

As per the article, wild life in Hawaii is probably always on the run from encroaching development and foreign invaders man and beast.  Conservation on an island has tougher hurdles then the mainland.  Development rarely reverses.  Whereas say in Detroit, we've seen nature reclaim areas as people and manufacturing left. 

On the brighter side, more and more gardeners and parks around Chicagoland are going 'natural'.  Replacing grass with pasture filled with natural wild flowers and native plants.  I believe Chicago and it's suburbs have decided to stop spraying pesticides to kill dandelions.  Saving quite a bit money, time and the keeping the environment a little cleaner. 

Gardeners around here are doing there part.  More are planting native perennials.  I'm seeing more flowering fruit trees, ground cover instead of grass that needs no cutting and little or no water. 

From what I read bees were being weakened a few different ways from viruses to dust mites.  Part of the problem was overall weakness.  Hopefully with less pesticides, more flowers, and bit more love and care we'll see a bounce back. 

I'm starting to see some humming birds around and I think they're an excellent harbinger.  I saw a crawfish crawling in the local water way.  Heck, a coyote just crossed my lawn yesterday at twilight, so nature is.. on the move.  It's been a very good green summer for wildlife here in the Midwest. 

• Like 4

I have not seen a honeybee in recent memory around here....not in 10 years, I havent seen one.  so weird, because when I was a kid I (accidentally while playing) stepped on so many its not even funny.  with bare feet, in the grass.

Loads of ees where I live. The lavender is loaded with them like a little factory. Got um ble ees and normal honey ees.

• Like 1

They are everywhere here in AZ. I fish them out of the pool on almost a daily basis.

Get some Lavender, Jasmine or Ruellia Brittoniana/Mexican Petunias (pic) they will attract them.

Ruellia-brittoniana-Mx-petunia-2-e141657

• Like 4

and just like that, I go out to get my mail, and there's a honeybee just chillin out on my chimney.  glad you're still around :)

• Like 1

this process our bees are undergoing is both terrifying and saddening to me on a level that is hard to describe...

I have a deep affinity and abiding amazement for the bee life...

this must change.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this