Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Creating a Modern Atlantis

So far we have the 'wonderful and enlightened'  Atlantis - which was actually a tyrannical state 

Utopia  -  OU ( not )  topus  (place )    - no place ,  nowhere / not possible 

... any more ?

Funny how that works, ain't it?

Oh! BTW, ya'll wouldn't like the highlands of the Southern Appalachians. Snakes and chiggers and... umm... banjo players and such. In fact, a completely different continent would probably work better for you.

:)

• Like 2

Funny how that works, ain't it?

Oh! BTW, ya'll wouldn't like the highlands of the Southern Appalachians. Snakes and chiggers and... umm... banjo players and such. In fact, a completely different continent would probably work better for you.

and those blood sucking ticks

if a bear, wild pack of dogs or rabid wolf dont get ya a mountain lion probably will

i will have to admit that front porch music has its own charm

no atlantis to be found in my region of appalachia either

• Like 2

and those blood sucking ticks

if a bear, wild pack of dogs or rabid wolf dont get ya a mountain lion probably will

i will have to admit that front porch music has its own charm

no atlantis to be found in my region of appalachia either

Don't forget about the occasional wild hogs and mud puppies. Atlanteans and Utopians need not apply.

Have we considered climate change ? The above suggestions may not be viable in light of that .

If we do consider climate change into the future and do want to find a location for 'New Atlantis'   I suggest this island:

Main Island, lakes mountains, small islands, a channel / harbor right through the middle .... away from the rest of the world ... heaps of resources ... fishing ....  

antarcticawithoutice.jpg

• Like 3

the guy from down under suggests to place New Atlantis even farther down under,,

it has its merits

Don't forget about the occasional wild hogs and mud puppies. Atlanteans and Utopians need not apply.

And beware the Mountain Oysters.

And beware the Mountain Oysters.

Totally forgot about mountain oysters! You don't want 'em. I'd take that whole utopia idea somewhere else. Makes me sad 'cause it sounds delightful but, for the good of the cause, I guess it'll have to be an island in the South Pacific.

• Like 2

having ruled out appalachia, 

and nungali's idea of having an entire unspoiled continent to use

with great fishing potential

my first question is how does that hole in the ozone directly overhead antarctica  affect (or not) the idea?

penguins seem cool

having ruled out appalachia, 

and nungali's idea of having an entire unspoiled continent to use

with great fishing potential

my first question is how does that hole in the ozone directly overhead antarctica  affect (or not) the idea?

penguins seem cool

Two possibilities

1.  We evolve .... maybe fur and flippers     :)       

Galápagos is the story of a small band of mismatched humans who are shipwrecked on the fictional island of Santa Rosalia in theGalápagos Islands after a global financial crisis cripples the world's economy. Shortly thereafter, a disease renders all humans on Earth infertile, with the exception of the people on Santa Rosalia, making them the last specimens of humankind. Over the next million years, their descendants, the only fertile humans left on the planet, eventually evolve into a furry species resembling sea lions: though possibly still able to walk upright (it is not explicitly mentioned, but it is stated that they occasionally catch land animals), they have a snout with teeth adapted for catching fish, a streamlined skull and flipper-like hands with rudimentary fingers (described as "nubbins").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gal%C3%A1pagos_(novel)

Also, our 'swollen organ' (the brain) that caused all the trouble in the first place, has now returned to its normal size and relationship to the rest of the body - just like the other animals - and we fin ally find peace and 'utopia' . 

2.  The environment changes .   Already that hole is decreasing  

http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles/9992/20141031/ozone-hole-still-shrinking-nasa.htm

It could get warmer too .  In the future ... maybe it will be the only 'comfortable ' continent  -  'future Atlantis' ? 

I tracked my location , over time backwards , very fascinating !    It was, at one time, a few hundred kilometers from the coast, on the sea floor.  The nearest part of the coast then , in  ancient 'Australia'  was pretty much over the South Pole  -  Gondwanaland.

from that era we still have remnant vegetation - the 'Antarctic beech' , we have forests of it here, and there are fossils of the same tree found in Antarctica . 

IMG_4063_edited-1.jpg

part of 'Gondwanaland National Parks'  , just down the road a bit . 

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Penguins don't spend that much time on land.  We would.  Lots of melanoma cases.

They spend time on land worshiping their secret human leader

10-007.jpg  

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this