Yeah idk, I just didnt like what they were trying to make me believe. And I dont know if all that subconscious shit is true just cause someone says this or that.

However, meditation does lower brain wave activity so I still want to meditate.

I likes the anapana technique I was taught. Does anyone use anapana here?

I don't know if the subconscious stuff is true for you either, but I know it can be true. In my own experience of two retreats so far are that I had moments of complete desolation where I had to go to the woods just to cry and moments where I felt almost untouchable so strong and powerful that nothing could touch me. With more awareness later on I could see that it is all the play of the mind. 

But I know someone who did a Vipassana retreat and they said all they got out of it was pain. The retreats I did were with Adyashanti and were in a Zen style but far more modern in the sense that we got chairs to sit in, we had three decent meals a day including regular foods and caffeine and sugar etc, so isn't anywhere near as Spartan in approach, yet still incredibly difficult at times in terms of what can come up in the silence. 

Adyashanti has said in his first ever meditation retreat his mantra for the entire time was "never again, never again, never again" and he said he only clung on and stayed by his fingertips and had an absolutely awful time, yet the weeks after all sorts of realisations emerged so even though it was terrible there were things happening underneath. 

• Like 2

I don't disagree with any of the points being made.

I'd like to add that meditation does not have to be all about endurance and pain. 

It also doesn't have to be about accepting any dogmas.

In fact, it should be about connecting directly with the inner truth that makes dogma irrelevant and transparent.

On the other hand, when we have some experience of deep inner connection we see the truth hiding within dogma.

When we gain experience and confidence in our practice, we may choose to challenge ourselves with tests of endurance.

I've never experienced a Vipassana retreat but I'm not a big fan of the militaristic approach to meditation.

There are lots of other, gentler options. 

Good luck Chi Boy

• Like 1

on the other hand if you would have liked it then you would worry about if you follow the instructions correctly and then will start doing every once in a while these retreats and still never get to know why you doing these things.

I left after the 5th day. That was totally a cult. The only information you are given from any source is that this is an end all be all texhnique for reaching enlightnment and ending "misery" and to free yourself from problems in later lives. Nothing against them, it just isn't how I was raised and so I choose not to believe what they're saying.

Hi friend,

It's unfortunate you didn't find that center useful to you...but please do not dismiss Vipassana meditation.

If you can attend a temple/monastery that breaks the practice in walking and seated meditation equally divided (50/50) and that is entirely focused on the here and now rather than the what might be or become (including the trap of enlightenment) then the better. If they also include herbal medicine in order to help purge the toxins released during practice, then it would be an added bonus.

Let me recommend you a couple of centres located in Thailand with the most accomplished meditation masters:

1. Wat Chom Tong

2. Wat Trivisudhidham

And remember Phra Frank's wise words: one's hard work and effort, discipline and a willingness to go along for the ride.

Vipassana is all about:

Rising and falling, notice the change in your mind, rising and falling, notice the change in your mind, rising and falling, notice the change in your mind, .

Here now, not yesterday or tomorrow!

Best of luck! :)

you need 10 directional mind, that 360 degree awareness in order to do vipassana. You need shamanta first to do vipassana. So you should do chanting or mantra in order to empty your mind to do shamanta.

@Gerard

"here and now" doesn't work when you aren't at that particular stage. You can tell someone ad nauseam to be "here and now". There are stages before you can have present moment.