Sign in to follow this  
Jim D.

Why I can't rely on Philosophy

Let me say this Apeiron&Perion and luminal_luke, I am 70 years old. Done a lot, Know a lot...in defending myself Legally. If I feel I am being harrassed or made fun I will do what is necessary to bring the issue to administration's attention.

This topic is my Post. I am only asking for respect, a person's attention to my comments, and staying on topic. Believe me, my comments are reasonable and fact based. Some of the comments given back appear to be less than kind and considerate of my intentions to build a bridge between me and the reader.

I have sent a clear message two ways: (1) By using assertive communication and (2) By using Metaphorical communication. If young dudes want to run up against a wall with me they need to find a pillow to run into.

Here's what I expect. Stay on topic and don't make it personal.

Look up TheSunTheMoonTheStars. He's already gotten an administration warning since he started in May 2016. Who do you think brought this guy to the attention of Administration?

Yes, we are all egual on or off the site. But I won't be talked down to. Your feigned warning is an example of your attempt to suppress me. Do you think that this was a wise move. Capise?

Let me give you an example that may further drive my point home. In undergrade, I took an Anatomy and Physiology Class. I paid for the class. The guy teaching the class got paid from the tuition the students who paid to take that class. Well, one day I was late for class. The Prof. let me in saying that I was never to come late to his class again. When he let me into his class, I wanted to sit where I wanted to sit. The Prof. saw it otherwise. He wanted his class down front and squared off in one group. I resented being told what to do and where to do it. But you know what, it was his class.

If you guys want education, for nothing, on the whys and wherefors regarding Theory and Pratice of Psychological Methodology than these are the rules. I am the expert and you are my students. If you don't,

then go to your nearest Junior College and sign up...or do the research and come back to me and present your comment in an organize, resonable, and fact base way...

or stay on stopic, offer your comment on "Why I can't rely on Philosophy," or go to another part of The DaoBums and create your own Post and thread and argue with yourself ad finitum. Reasonable? BTW our posts are audited I am sure. It is public domain, even for administration.

Edited by Jim D.

Well, Taoist Philosophy has served me well and I haven't had to go see a Shrink since I first read the TTC.

• Like 2

Read my post MH. The young dudes are getting out of hand. I am going to have to put them in the corner for a while :-)

Edited by Jim D.
  • Like 1

Read my post MH. The young dudes are getting out of hand. I am going to have to put them in the corner for a while :-)

Or maybe you are just taking them too seriously?

• Like 2

DaoBums security folk are pragmatic....they might slap a fine on the person who called without a good reason....

I don't think this guy was trying to be funny! If he was he should have chosen other words to express himself like I feel thus and so...but I don't remember an exchange between him and I. My impression was he just jumping in to the gang bang.

Josama, Jetsun, and Silent Thunder are supporting their opinions with what verifiable and reliable data???????????!!!!!!!!!

If you want every point backed up with a reputable reference then you are at the wrong place, this is a forum not an academic discussion. Here you may have to put up with a respect a persons subjective opinions (shock: horror)

• Like 2

Throw away the seeds, cut the roots and admire the flower that soon turns to dust. Taoist philosophy may observe what is seen but the seed is a bit more interested in what is not seen the source of ten thousand things.

if one gets stuck in thoughts attached to things temporary there is no end and no method to recover from this mental dis ease.

Philosophy will settle the dust, still the water, problems arise when we lose sight of what is important and allow a  life or circumstance of life to define who we are. In Taoist philosophy that is called an error.

• Like 2

Yes, we are all egual on or off the site. But I won't be talked down to. 

Nobody likes to be talked down to, Jim.  Including me. That´s kind of my point.  Regardless of your age, former occupation, or wisdom, the fact is you are not the teacher here.  Not officially.  If someone wants to regard you as their teacher than that´s between you guys, but like I say -- on DaoBums we are all equals.

If you´d like to have more control over threads you post (say to keep things on topic) there are options for that.  You could start threads in your personal practice area and also in Wei Wu Wei.  There you can delete any posts you choose from any member.  

We´ve gotten off the subject, but since you addressed me specifically in your comment I wanted to respond.  But I for one wouldn´t complain if all these off-topic posts --including mine -- were pitted and we got back to the topic of philosophy and it´s usefulness (or lack therof).

Edited by liminal_luke

I study Classical Wu Tai Chi, and my Master has made Forums avaiable to his distant students. He is an expert in his field, as am I. We don't tell him how he should do this or that. We respect him. We are mindul as how we come off. Me, I just listen.

I never intended for my Post to go off into my field of expertise until someone decided to talk about Pyschology. If it was me, than I apologize and take responsibility for this diversion.

Comments about what you think are acceptable, as long as you do not act or speak as though you're the expert in my field.  If you do, than back it up. Otherwise, I will need to take the wind out of your sails.

If you have had a bad experience in counseling, well then tell us about it. If you have a suggestion as how it is that therapy can be improved, than share that to.

Please stay on topic. I know this is a Forum. Have you noticed that other Posts bring in references and citations. And others just talk to here themselves talk.

Let's repair the bridge. :)

Hi Jim,

Sounds good.  I in no way intended to imply that you don´t have a wealth of knowledge and expertise to share here.  That´s the thing about this forum: so many of us have done amazing things, gone amazing places, practiced and learned a lot. I just want us to meet each other as equals, in an atmosphere of mutual respect.

You might be surprised to learn some things about me.  I too have a masters degree in counseling psychology (although I never got licensed or worked in the field, and therefore don´t claim your level of expertise).

Ok, back (I hope), to philosophy.

Liminal 

• Like 1

DaoBums security folk are pragmatic....they might slap a fine on the person who called without a good reason....

Liminal_luke,

I did not mean to come at you hard. It was the other guy who seemed to try to scare me into submission. Some how you got lumped in with the rest of them. I just wanted to send a clear blanket message...that's all.

You have been very gracious in your last post to me. Thank you.

It's too bad that you did not go on to get licensed and get your own practice going. I still work part time in my own practice. I can earn anywhere from $30.00 per hour to $150.00 (if it is self pay). Since I have been private practice I have never been fired, or called into somebody's office because they wanted to talk with me "about something."

I get all of my referrals from Insurance Companies. My average rate paid by Manage Care is $85.00 per hour.

I don't want my ego stroked. I just wanted one of the commentors, to accept that there is nothing logical about Psychoanalysis. That was my mistake. I should have let it go. But that day I didn't. I thought he was messing with me which started the ball rolling. And then I changed up on my strategy, and it went no where...just more frustration.

I am new to all this. I am getting the idea that folks just want to talk, not bring an argument to a conclusion.

I don't hold myself above anyone because I am 70. In fact, I look 50. I hate people that pull the age card on me. I sounds condesending and patronizing when they do. So, I just get away from them. That is probably how I was received. Not being able to see the other guy, makes it easier to let it all hang out. I have never been one to back down from a fight or a threat.

Talk with you later. Got a client at 3 PM...then get done at & * PM CST.

:)

• Like 1

I´m with you about psychoanalysis -- not logical at all.  Where I live in Mexico it´s oddly popular, not sure why.  We´re also agreed that it´s the relationship that´s curative, so maybe it could be effective if a particular psychoanalyst had sufficiently worked through his own issues and could establish a solid therapeutic alliance?  In any case, psychoanalysis wouldn´t be my  choice as a client.

You´re right that a lot of folks here just want to talk.  They´ll put out their opinion and banter back and forth about it, but aren´t necessarily willing or able to back up that opinion with hard evidence.  Just the way it is.  I think you´ll find that there´s a lot of intelligent people here though.  I´ve certainly learned a lot here over the years.

• Like 1

Short break and an apple before the next victim, I mean client. I think that MarbleHead is smart and witty. I think that Karl is super smart and objective. I had a go around with him before we got to know eachother better. I used the same technique with him. But then one day, I looked up this Ann Ryand and I understood where he was coming from. I also shared with him that my Philosophy is Psychologically based, client centered, Existential, and Behavioral. But the bottom line, the client drives the bus...not me.

I was trying to get Karl to show his feeling side of himself. He eventually did which is good. I identiyed his as Spock on

I absolutely agree with you that it is the relationship that is the curative factor. I normalize everything that the client thinks is abnormal because that is their normal. If they cannot reach their goals than we take a look at that.  I see myself as carrying a tool box of "life skills" that I share with the client or anybody. It is up to them to use it. I am not responsible for the outcome.

My intent on getting involved with the Dao Bums was to find a like minded "pen pal."  My other intent was to be of service and give it away.  This is how it is that I am so wordy and fact base. I see some folks as ill informed and mislead. So I try and fill in the gaps where I see them.

Keeping my mind busy and occupied will probably help in the long run as I age.

I have been through New Mexico on my way to Lake Havasu, Arizona. This was in the 70's. I was surprised to see English Sparrows there. It was an up and coming develop. Temperatures were very warm...over 100 during the day, and 90's at night. Workers would start work at sun up and quit around noon.

Too look at the Lake Havasu City now is like looking at a place I have never been too.

Well, my 4 didn't show, and I just had a cancellation for 5. I don't depend on my private practice altogether because I am now on Social Security, and a small teaching pension, plus my wife works part time...and we live within our means. It's a comfortable life for me.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see English Sparrows there.

They were likely Spanish Sparrows.  It's really hard to tell the difference.

• Like 1

I also shared with him that my Philosophy is Psychologically based, client centered, Existential, and Behavioral. 

You mentioned Yalom earlier.  I´ve read some of his stuff and really like it.  My favorite anecdote is the one about the lady that always brought a gigantic purse to their sessions.  One time he spent the whole hour having her show him the contents of her purse and talking about it.  For some reason, I found that really touching.

My other intent was to be of service and give it away.  

I liked what you had to say to Taoway awhile back in the Off Topic section.  What´s more, he wrote back saying he actually felt better.  Didn´t see that coming.

well Jim D. I would like to say that I have read some of your words/sharing and I can see that now that my addition of the inserted dragonfly is completely off based.

I know you seem to be serious and I am too a bit but maybe on this occasion you can overlook my landing on your post previously.

• Like 1

I went back to page one of my starting this Post and found the Dragon Fly insertion. There was nothing wrong or offensive about your comment.

Edited by Jim D.

Sign in to follow this