Taoway

What are the chances of a conspiracy of an America shut down

hey, when people still cant accept the reality of some buildings demolitioned right in front of their eyes and are given a completely nonphysical description by the government, and realize that the only folks with the ability to make NORAD stand down are at the highest levels of government...

...somehow you're a conspiracy theorist if you dont believe a nonphysical description.

Or if you see all the data pointing the the deliberate suppression of certain metals by the existence of a massive paper market treated indistinguishably from the real stuff, banks are shown to be the culprits.....yet there's still folks out there who will call you a conspiracy theorist if you point out this fact.

Or the fact that things keep getting codified into law that are completely against the constitution....

To me it seems that people try REALLY hard to keep their eyes shut and cling to the illusion they have been presented with over the years, using the hell out of the logical fallacy called Alief to justify it all, because "that couldnt possibly be true"

• Like 2

I thought it was ironic, pathetic, disturbing -- any number of things -- rather than "idiotic," but it's also, shockingly enough, pretty accurate. I came across this article when looking for something else, something I'd seen before -- to wit, studies that show that people who are depressed make much more accurate predictions about the future -- by a wide margin, something like 90% more accurate. Tells you something about the world we're currently inhabiting, and tells you something about optimists who inhabit the same world as pessimists yet either fail or refuse to see it with the kind of clarity that allows their less bright eyed bushy tailed peers to actually make sense of it (and therefore successfully notice and accurately extrapolate into the future its developmental trends) instead of living in the la-la land of positive make-believe.

Oh, and I don't believe the story about the vinegar tasters. Taoists see things for what they are. We are not in denial. Anyone who read a non-compromised translation of Laozi mindfully, not reading into TTC their own agenda, conditioning, or wishful thinking, would notice that he was not only a "conspiracy theorist" -- he was a conspirator. He was trying to conspire with the ruler to convince him to rule wisely. He was not trying to convince the ruler that however he rules is wise by default. He was not a "whatever," "it's all good" dude. Seriously. Things mattered to him. He was no new ager.

And the greatest conspiracy theorist and conspirator was of course Sun Tzu. And all he talks about is, basically, know your vinegar!! Don't fool yourself into believing it's sweet -- this is perilous to the country, the general, the army, the ruler, the people. Know it's sour when it's sour. If you don't, if you operate on the assumption that your positivity is enough to make it sweet, you're done for -- and so is your country.

I agree.

In response to your article you shared.. I just said it was idiotic because it just kind of makes me more depressed about the fear I had when I started this post.

But of course the negative anxious person with some logic may see things that the optimist cant. But it still ruins their life.

I like what you say about the real nature of Lao tzu. So would you say the new age idea of taoism is wrong? Often I hear people explainin taoist as do what ever you feel right or what ever you're doing in the moment is within Tao or something.

Obviously that is off because what we do today and what is really in harmony with the Tao are two different things. Our culture has gotten far away from the nature of Tao right?

But what do we do when we can hardly change anything in the corrupt enviornment. Should we become the change in our selves like Lao tzu was. So wide that it can't be ignored anymore?

Because that's my goal in mind haha.

• Like 1

:-o gobsmacked. A is A and you can know it. I thought you were anti-reason/logic Taomeow ? That sounds objectivist on first reading.

There's no reason/logic in making this about me, but since you're catering to my oh so human "it's all about me" design flaws,

I don't mind telling you that I'm a scientifically verified whole-brainer, not a left-brainer, not a right-brainer, and not someone who alternates between left-brain and right-brain dominance, but someone who uses linear and nonlinear venues of cognition simultaneously.  I can sing and dance an equation of quantum mechanics with such feeling that it will break your heart. 

• Like 2

In response to your article you shared.. I just said it was idiotic because it just kind of makes me more depressed about the fear I had when I started this post.

But of course the negative anxious person with some logic may see things that the optimist cant. But it still ruins their life.

I like what you say about the real nature of Lao tzu. So would you say the new age idea of taoism is wrong? Often I hear people explainin taoist as do what ever you feel right or what ever you're doing in the moment is within Tao or something.

Obviously that is off because what we do today and what is really in harmony with the Tao are two different things. Our culture has gotten far away from the nature of Tao right?

But what do we do when we can hardly change anything in the corrupt enviornment. Should we become the change in our selves like Lao tzu was. So wide that it can't be ignored anymore?

Because that's my goal in mind haha.

Good questions. :)

Whatever the authors of the studies that arrived at these conclusion peddle, I'm not selling, of course -- I don't think being depressed and fearful is the only possible, let alone the best, response to even the most depressing, fear-instilling developments in society -- only that it is far more accurate than a head in the sand and a happy happy joy joy behind exposed to whatever may come and bite it.   I believe the best approach, always and for all purposes, to adversities one can't control is honesty and courage.  This is worth cultivating and using as weapons of self-defense -- skillfully and wisely, this is a kind of gong fu that grows with practice. 

Yes, Laozi'z political pamphlet, alchemical secret code, a brilliant foray into paleopsychology (sic) and a set of koan-like tools for activating and de-programming a stale complacent mind -- all these and more -- never contained any of the ideation invented and disseminated in the course of new age psy-ops.  

And all taoist classics to assert that "in the human world, tao has been destroyed."   The Wenzi (Wen Tzu), attributed to Laozi and supposedly containing his oral transmissions to his student, is in particular very explicit on this count and far more politically charged -- you may want to give it a read.  Yet the conclusions are not defeatist.  It's just that you can't put up a fight against a force that is faceless behind faces -- but you don't have to just pretend it's not there and you don't have to allow it to swallow you.  We fight...  If we can't fight in the material realm, it's not because we give up.  It's because we only fight the battles we win, and win them before we begin.  Well, that's already Sun Tzu, obviously. :)

So...  been reading John Blofeld's "My Journey in Mystic China" and came across this passage:

"The demonic souls who invented the atom bomb, poison gas, and germ warfare cannot be controlled by the wisdom of sages.  Sages rely on the human conscience in order to influence and improve the human condition, but demons have no conscience."

Useful to remember...  They don't.  But we do.  The solution IMO is in non-emulating the demons.  Emulating the sages instead.  How?  Many ways.  Monkey see, monkey do.  E.g. I try to practice Chapter 15 of TTC every day...  the taiji chapter. :) 

• Like 1

There's no reason/logic in making this about me, but since you're catering to my oh so human "it's all about me" design flaws,

I don't mind telling you that I'm a scientifically verified whole-brainer, not a left-brainer, not a right-brainer, and not someone who alternates between left-brain and right-brain dominance, but someone who uses linear and nonlinear venues of cognition simultaneously.  I can sing and dance an equation of quantum mechanics with such feeling that it will break your heart. 

I'm just glad you hold that opinion. As relationships and alliances are built on shared values that seems valid. I just haven't seen you respond in that way before.

As for right and left brains-it's a myth.

me, I'm not quite sure how realism is necessarily pessimistic.  just because certain straightforward observations might not trend in the direction of optimism, that does not make one a pessimistic person.  I marvel at simple beauties just as I abhor human enslavement mechanisms, one man's god is another man's demon is another man's ally, relationally speaking its important to consider wider context. *shrugs*

• Like 1

I'm just glad you hold that opinion. As relationships and alliances are built on shared values that seems valid. I just haven't seen you respond in that way before. As for right and left brains-it's a myth.

It's a shorthand, no more mythical than any term (terms are not processes they label -- none of them) for two distinct types of specialization of human brains that are actually divided into six rather than two major areas of specialization, twice horizontally and once vertically.  "Left-right," a crude (as terms go) code for "neocortex-midbrain-lower brain, two hemispheres, nonsymmetrical in function any of it," is the reality of cognitive neuroscience, not a myth.  It stands for dominance of some areas of the brain over others -- which, e.g., manifests in hand dominance...  of the obvious things. 

A whole-brainer is ambidextrous -- six ways.  A left-brainer may actually be using only 1/6 rather than 1/2 of his brain with any efficiency,  and 70% of this 1/6th is busy suppressing the remaining 5/6th at all times, so he actually uses only 30% of 1/6th of his brain...   

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

Good questions. :)

Whatever the authors of the studies that arrived at these conclusion peddle, I'm not selling, of course -- I don't think being depressed and fearful is the only possible, let alone the best, response to even the most depressing, fear-instilling developments in society -- only that it is far more accurate than a head in the sand and a happy happy joy joy behind exposed to whatever may come and bite it. I believe the best approach, always and for all purposes, to adversities one can't control is honesty and courage. This is worth cultivating and using as weapons of self-defense -- skillfully and wisely, this is a kind of gong fu that grows with practice.

Yes, Laozi'z political pamphlet, alchemical secret code, a brilliant foray into paleopsychology (sic) and a set of koan-like tools for activating and de-programming a stale complacent mind -- all these and more -- never contained any of the ideation invented and disseminated in the course of new age psy-ops.

And all taoist classics to assert that "in the human world, tao has been destroyed." The Wenzi (Wen Tzu), attributed to Laozi and supposedly containing his oral transmissions to his student, is in particular very explicit on this count and far more politically charged -- you may want to give it a read. Yet the conclusions are not defeatist. It's just that you can't put up a fight against a force that is faceless behind faces -- but you don't have to just pretend it's not there and you don't have to allow it to swallow you. We fight... If we can't fight in the material realm, it's not because we give up. It's because we only fight the battles we win, and win them before we begin. Well, that's already Sun Tzu, obviously. :)

So... been reading John Blofeld's "My Journey in Mystic China" and came across this passage:

"The demonic souls who invented the atom bomb, poison gas, and germ warfare cannot be controlled by the wisdom of sages. Sages rely on the human conscience in order to influence and improve the human condition, but demons have no conscience."

Useful to remember... They don't. But we do. The solution IMO is in non-emulating the demons. Emulating the sages instead. How? Many ways. Monkey see, monkey do. E.g. I try to practice Chapter 15 of TTC every day... the taiji chapter. :)

Ah very interesting points :)

Chapter 15 sums up my questions perfectly. But ironically chapter 16 goes right along with it I believe and has always been a very clear light for me every time I read it.

Empty your mind of all thoughts.

Let your heart be at peace.

Watch the turmoil of beings,

but contemplate their return.

Each separate being in the universe

returns to the common source.

Returning to the source is serenity.

If you don't realize the source,

you stumble in confusion and sorrow.

When you realize where you come from,

you naturally become tolerant,

disinterested, amused,

kindhearted as a grandmother,

dignified as a king.

Immersed in the wonder of the Tao,

you can deal with whatever life brings you,

and when death comes, you are ready.

• Like 1

me, I'm not quite sure how realism is necessarily pessimistic.  just because certain straightforward observations might not trend in the direction of optimism, that does not make one a pessimistic person.  I marvel at simple beauties just as I abhor human enslavement mechanisms, one man's god is another man's demon is another man's ally, relationally speaking its important to consider wider context. *shrugs*

Yup.  There's a taoist exorcist practice of eating demons.   If you don't see demons, you are more likely to be eaten by them.  If you see them, you can get depressed, scared, or...   or feisty, as the case may be.  You can try to run and hide.  You can freeze in one spot.  Or you can get hungry and hunt them down and trap them and cook them in a stew.  Or eat them raw.  

Some people can't stomach raw oysters, e.g..  I'm a big fan though.   

• Like 4

It stands for dominance of some areas of the brain over others -- which, e.g., manifests in hand dominance... of the obvious things.

I've read about the benefits of switching things up with your hands.

Would this be a good way to access a balance? The point about how we suppress the parts we don't use is really interesting because that is a whole lot of wasted energy. Suprressing all the time

• Like 2

Taomeow you've got a whole lot of helpful wisdom. I wish I could study under you lol

• Like 3

It's a shorthand, no more mythical than any term (terms are not processes they label -- none of them) for two distinct types of specialization of human brains that are actually divided into six rather than two major areas of specialization, twice horizontally and once vertically. "Left-right," a crude (as terms go) code for "neocortex-midbrain-lower brain, two hemispheres, nonsymmetrical in function any of it," is the reality of cognitive neuroscience, not a myth. It stands for dominance of some areas of the brain over others -- which, e.g., manifests in hand dominance... of the obvious things.

A whole-brainer is ambidextrous -- six ways. A left-brainer may actually be using only 1/6 rather than 1/2 of his brain with any efficiency, and 70% of this 1/6th is busy suppressing the remaining 5/6th at all times, so he actually uses only 30% of 1/6th of his brain...

I took that test as well. Balanced 50/50. I'm a drummer so it goes with the territory. It means very little, same as IQ testing. It's not the size of the brain but how you use it. :-)

Edited by Karl

Thank you, Bodhidharma. :)

To switch hands can theoretically be useful (for an adult engaged in a conscious practice and prepared for the psychological "side effects" -- this should never be done with a child though), but I'm not aware of a complete system using this method and so would go with balancing ones that are more predictable in their long-term effects.  How about taiji?  Or a good classical qigong routine like Eight Pieces of Brocade or the Five Animal Frolics? 

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that of all professional groups, the longest-lived and healthiest are music conductors.  (Not rock stars, as everyone has probably noticed lately...)   I surmise the reason is threefold:

1. a position in control.  The single worst enemy of the human (and animal) physical and mental well-being is a sense of helplessness, of having lost or surrendered control to someone else.  (Incidentally, cancer patients who argue, disagree, research, and otherwise actively participate in their treatment strategies are three times as likely to survive as those who just "do what the doctor thinks is best.")  

2. esthetic immersion -- what they do is about beauty.

3.  physical engagement in fairly active motion harmonious with this beauty, the body is actively "doing" it rather than passively receiving it.

Not saying you ought to become a conductor (too late for most of us for that I suspect) but the pointers toward bodymind-balancing activities may be considered.  Oh, and one more thing about conductors.  They are notoriously emotional and they express their emotions.  Many are known to have broken their baton to pieces in anger while yelling out curses and insults -- Giuseppe Verdi terrified his musicians with the name he called them when they were faltering: "Pharmacists!!"       

• Like 2

Ah I remember a band teacher who conducted elsewhere too. He showed lots of anger but also had a heart attack. Altho I agree they are in a position of such beauty not far off from the movements of dance or taiji.

With taiji tho I do a yang form and part of it is the pung li shi on (can't really spell it) but it involves doing one part of the form over and over in a circle alternating the right side then left and so on.

I would add intent to that pattern of motion.  Every move.   Taiji is a martial art (which sadly many teachers today don't seem to know and some have the gall to deny), but you don't need to do it toward defeating an external enemy.  You can designate your own feelings and thoughts, the ones you don't particularly care to maintain, as opponents.  And every move must defeat them.  You don't do taiji aimlessly, you have it serve you.  Taiji, like the mind, is a rather pointless master but an amazingly competent servant.  Whatever your intent, taiji is at its service...  but this has to be consciously applied to every move.  

Not easy, but very fruitful.   

• Like 2

I would add intent to that pattern of motion. Every move. Taiji is a martial art (which sadly many teachers today don't seem to know and some have the gall to deny), but you don't need to do it toward defeating an external enemy. You can designate your own feelings and thoughts, the ones you don't particularly care to maintain, as opponents. And every move must defeat them. You don't do taiji aimlessly, you have it serve you. Taiji, like the mind, is a rather pointless master but an amazingly competent servant. Whatever your intent, taiji is at its service... but this has to be consciously applied to every move.

Not easy, but very fruitful.

My taiji teacher only saw it as a martial art. He knew the health benefits but he mainly taught us the martial aspects. Sometimes I wished he knew more about the internal practice of taiji. Yhe more philosophical side of it. But he was still a great teacher.

But damn I love that mindset of taiji being used to fight those internal enemies or patterns if that's what you have meant. Makes me want to practice for hours.

Do you practice and form?

• Like 1

My taiji teacher only saw it as a martial art. He knew the health benefits but he mainly taught us the martial aspects. Sometimes I wished he knew more about the internal practice of taiji. Yhe more philosophical side of it. But he was still a great teacher.

But damn I love that mindset of taiji being used to fight those internal enemies or patterns if that's what you have meant. Makes me want to practice for hours.

Do you practice and form?

You mean "any form?"  Yes, mainly Chen Laojia, Chen sword, a bit of Xinjia, a bit of taiji fan... 

The moves aimed to fight off "internal foes" are particularly efficient if you match them to the organs and feelings associated with them.  E.g. Anger resides in the Liver, and you can move it out with moves away from the body on the right side originating in that area.  Fajin can throw out whatever you want to discard.  The inward bound (toward the body) moves can be used to bring in fresh healthy qi from the environment if you intend to replace whatever you release.   And so on.

You mean "any form?" Yes, mainly Chen Laojia, Chen sword, a bit of Xinjia, a bit of taiji fan...

The moves aimed to fight off "internal foes" are particularly efficient if you match them to the organs and feelings associated with them. E.g. Anger resides in the Liver, and you can move it out with moves away from the body on the right side originating in that area. Fajin can throw out whatever you want to discard. The inward bound (toward the body) moves can be used to bring in fresh healthy qi from the environment if you intend to replace whatever you release. And so on.

Very interesting. I can think of some moves in the slow form that do that.

I often feel an emotional state that fades away halfway through the form and I can a different more clear perspective come about.

Chen has always been a form I wanted to learn. It looks so cool! I moved out of town before I could learn the whole fast step form of yang or any sword stuff.

Can you tell me anymore about how to visualize or use the form to fight inward resistance

I'd study Taiji Classics for starters. You can find some valuable material here:

http://www.scheele.org/lee/classics.html

Oh wow! I can tell I'm going to read this often :) Thank you. It's intriguing to read about taiji in depth like this.

And a lot of it goes along with what my teacher said and then some !

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:54 AM, Taoway said:

What are the chances of this happening? I put it in the back of my mind years ago. But over the years it seems more and more real. Especially with this joke of an election.

The whole fema camp round up is what I'm talking about. It bugs me out

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, Taoway said:

How would a follower of Tao handle this? It seems to get over that fear I have to face death head on and develop a strong warrior mentality.

From my personal experience and view, these things don't worry me. They did for a time, ironically before I really immersed in Taoism, and then they didn't. I won't give away all the reasons why but I can say some things. For one, I don't let myself get wrapped into the dialectic, I let the dialectic work for me. I don't waste my energies picking sides or expose myself to situations that make me targeted. In the event I do get targeted or monitored, I control what information of me is accessible as well as the circumstances in which I may be approached. Furthermore I create the circumstance where it would be ridiculous to consider me worthwhile for any further action, or make the possibility of further action unfeasible. Meanwhile I look out for loved ones and my locality, making them all impossible to breach, while I watch the rest of the world just to make sure it won't go all to shit in a moments notice. I watched for foreign threats, check foreign adversaries, and keep a clear view of what's around the corner and ahead. After so much watching, things are not surprising anymore, for a long time things just to came to me naturally so that I wasn't caught off guard by events as they happened. I look into history to see how things came to be how they are now, and I use that and my foresight to plan ahead for years or decades to come. I am in a very comfortable position, I do fine.