Brian

They'll have to rewrite the textbooks

Thank you Brian!

Cranial-sacral practitioners have been saying all along that the olfactory nerves are accompanied by lymphatic vessels that carry toxins and metabolic waste out of the brain. And I think they also said INTO the brain. What I read was that what we smell has immediate access into the brain, bypassing the blood brain barrier. This is a huge deal. That means chemicals we smell, unlike chemicals that we eat or on our skin, can go directly into the brain: no protection. The good news was that natural smells can increase brain detox through the same pathways, if I remember, eucalyptus and rosemary being two substances that do this especially well. So the discovery of the brain lymphatics is not at all surprising to CS therapists. (Sorry I don't have links… :( )

That means… car fresheners, fabric softeners, cleaning agents, detergent "fragrances", and a gazillion other things, all those manufactured smells we have gotten used to in modern life…. are best avoided, in favor of the natural smells of flowers, herbs, pine trees, and essential oils. Really no surprise here.

Veering a little off thread topic… another thing that allows stuff to broach the blood brain barrier is EMF. Cell phones, wifi, all of it. Arghh!

• Like 6

I always get the feeling that there is something faintly sinister about the materialist neuroscientists.

i'm sure i'm not alone.

They chop apart the brain trying to find the mind.

I don't think they've found it yet.

The truth is, it's not in there.

Rewriting of textbooks is naturally a regularly occurring event, of course.

Folk fall into error when they cannot imagine that rewriting.

For you see, everything that is now real was once imagined.

on edit: Changed "a little" to "faintly" in line one, to change imperfect word to perfect one.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 4

Thanks for this Brian, but:

"Now we can approach this mechanistically" (They'll Have to Rewrite the Textbooks)

Naturally of course, they read it back into the old paradigm, a paradigm first introduced in modern times for animals by Descartes and then extended to humans by La Mettrie, both of which were purely speculations at the time, unsupported by any sound experimental evidence, nor did any evidence exist, nor was there any satisfactory way to investigate this at the time, but the dogma remains at the core of Western medical thought.  The best that could be said then, as now, is that organic life forms are organisms that have parts that harness mechanical properties to achieve certain ends, and yes I am aware of the implied teleology of that statement and have left it open on purpose, but anyone who wants to can go ahead and tack onto it "such as survival" and move it back into a more traditional biological framework is free to do so.  Granted, survival is a rather brutal editor of the book of life, life's apparent creativity needs explanation.

So, some progress yes, but a long way to go.

• Like 4

I´d be interested in the upshot of this for cultivators as well as those who simply want to safegaurd their health.  Are these pathways kept clean and tidy bouncing on a rebounder or doing various shaking practices?  Is this something that can be tuned into in meditation?

Edited by liminal_luke

You'll find more on this if you search "glymphatics".

Don't know about cultivation and energy techniques… but what I 

remember is that brain cells shrink, lose water, when you are in deep sleep, and that water carries toxins out of the cells. Then the cells need to rehydrate with clean fluid.  So required for good brain housecleaning are good hydration and deep sleep. Along with all the other good stuff of course.  ^_^ 

• Like 4