opendao

What is Dao?

Marblehead, can you stop thinking for a while and just be content in "De"ing? :)

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was De-ing this morning out in the gardens.

• Like 1

Well, I am working on eliminating the word "Dao" altogether because really, what we talk about is not Dao but rather "The De of Dao". 

My recent thinking is more at De and Ziran (Tzujan).  These are the functions of Dao and all its manifestations.

Again, Dao is understood via Philosophical, Religious, and Alchemic.  All three are valid.  Therefore all three must be offered equal respect.

I think the word Dao is a relevant and valid term, because it describes something that is without being termed itself very inconcisely expressed. And it is usefull to use it in a descriptive sense of a tacit concept that can be experienced. I also find that talking about this experience is both intresting and rather important.

I think the word Dao is a relevant and valid term, because it describes something that is without being termed itself very inconcisely expressed. And it is usefull to use it in a descriptive sense of a tacit concept that can be experienced. I also find that talking about this experience is both intresting and rather important.

Oh, I would never (never say never) try to convince anyone of this alteration.  It is just something personal for me.  I agree with you, I mean, is there any meaning is calling one's self a Deist?  That's funny.  Calling myself something that I am 180 opposed to.

And you are right that Dao (Tao) is speaking of the totality.  Scientists talk about the universe all the time.

Time will tell if it is something I should hold to or let go of.

• Like 1

It's always worthwhile to analyse and consider usage of language, it is a great tool in understanding the mind.

• Like 1

It's always worthwhile to analyse and consider usage of language, it is a great tool in understanding the mind.

Yep.  I generally try to be selective with the words I use because there are so many words that have numerous connotations.

For me, if I can't put a thought into words which, after composing, I think I might be misunderstood, then I don't fully understand my thought yet.

Oh, I would never (never say never) try to convince anyone of this alteration.  It is just something personal for me.  I agree with you, I mean, is there any meaning is calling one's self a Deist?  That's funny.  Calling myself something that I am 180 opposed to.

That's really funny.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

And you are right that Dao (Tao) is speaking of the totality.  Scientists talk about the universe all the time.

• Like 1

Yep.  I generally try to be selective with the words I use because there are so many words that have numerous connotations.

For me, if I can't put a thought into words which, after composing, I think I might be misunderstood, then I don't fully understand my thought yet.

When we start to "regulate" or "put into order" there will be names.

But when names have indeed come into being,

We must also know that it is time to stop.

Knowing [when] to stop is the way to avoid harm

Edited by leth

Yeah, I know about "knowing when to stop".

There are time when I want to be as exacting as possible and then there are other times when the words don't really matter.

"In the Universe the most valuable are Dao and De, the most difficult to receive - human, for humans the most difficult - to receive Dao and De in own body."

Who can quote Lao Zi to prove that Dao in humans starts as Dao Tai (fetus of Dao)?

It's hard, so a hint is probably needed: daotai becomes yangshen, yangshen can do some unusual things, and Lao Zi describes them  :rolleyes:

Not Lao Zi, I'm very much a Daoist beginner and am not well read in Daoist texts, but there is this from Chou Lu-Ching.

General Instructions for the Twelve Sleep Practices of Mount Hua

From the Marrow of the Red Phoenix

http://thelaughingidiot.yolasite.com/resources/HS12Shuikung.pdf

When the two energies of yin and yang first couple and join in the Yellow Court [in the abdomen] and the three florescences of energy, essence, and spirit merge and become one in the Primal Orifice [between the eyebrows], the immortal embryo is conceived. Then the true spirit is liberated. Going beyond the realm of birth and earth, it transcends all and becomes one with the Tao.

Perhaps someone else can quote Lao Zi?

• Like 1

Perhaps someone else can quote Lao Zi?

Someone can, but he will be quoting through his hat, since LZ is a political scripture which has absolutely no contemporary connection, content or reference  to neidan (the latter coming into existence a a goodly 1000-1500 years later). Or, to any kind of bodily practice either, for that matter.

LZ got tied to neidan simply by the virtue of being the almost only non-Confucian text surviving in circulation after the tumultuous historical transition from the archaic to classical china.   Its almost complete illegibility past the superficial Quietism did not hurt either.