3bob

again, what is to be gained or lost?

Hi Aussie Trees,

I have no problem with rebirth -  as long as the I is real - all the rest is secondary.

Hi 3bob,

What is the real I,and how does it relate to rebirth?

Aussie Trees,

The Tao Teh Ching is an excellent pointer for the real I....there are many others.  I'd say rebirth is or can be a complex "if, and, or but" exercise and will take care of itself if or when the main points are taken care of.

If you are familiar with Buddhist teachings I suggest looking at the Tibetan wheel of life to see if there is a depiction of real 'I'.  I'm not a Buddhist so that would only be my attempted and comparative way to look at it.  (my interpretation is that a Buddha is not worried about the different realms as long as a Buddha is not lost in or to different realms,  - where a birth could take place)

Edited by 3bob

IMO There is apparent and relative gain from some practices. And in the big picture - not so much. But, as I live at this intersection where such accidents, and worse, have occurred I will continue my various practices. One of those practices is gardening. There was a multiple fatality accident here before I moved in. And people identified this place with death - repeating stories of where bodies were. I built up a mound of dirt, and carefully placed rocks. Then planted flowers that the birds and other wildlife enjoy. I acknowledge both the death that has occurred and life. And now people talk about the flowers...We can drive ourselves crazy with these concepts, and trying to figure what it is we're supposed to do with the understandings that we've found. My choice is acceptance - and flowers. YMMV

Maybe you will help people to slow down and look at the flowers too.

• Like 1

Maybe you will help people to slow down and look at the flowers too.

Hi Zanshin,

Yes, that has been an unexpected bonus. I thoroughly enjoy the older couples who slow down and wave, and sometimes stop to offer words of encouragement. Another bonus has been the neighbors who stop by, smile and ask questions, and sometimes share a cold drink and their own stories. Sometimes they leave with divisions from the plants, or self-seeded plant babies, and that which I cultivate spreads happiness in it's own organic fashion.

• Like 2

When a lit candle is used to light another candle, is a thing gained?

If a lit candle is snuffed out, is a thing lost?

The love in my heart is always there; it is not dependent on flowers. And yet it is still enjoyable to me when moments come when this love can be shared.

When a lit candle is used to light another candle, is a thing gained?

If a lit candle is snuffed out, is a thing lost?

Yes, one more candle power is gained, some extra joules of energy are released as are various gasses and ash. Wax, wick and oxygen are burned and converted to other things.

There is no net loss or gain, but there is certainly specific, time stamped change. A candle existed and then it did not.

• Like 1

and we could also get into the, "to be or not to be" of Hamlet,

(part removed for another thread)

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

"The process never stops"

or so it seems or is true for the process, yet if one can never be free of the process (depending on what you mean?) then the "Vanity of vanities" is the ultimate truth, which btw. I don't hold to...