Everything

How do you most often feel?

I definitely have positive and negative feelings and I do feel that I'm able to differentiate them.

I think I'm saying a few things -

1. When we are faced with a situation that elicits a response, that response is an accurate indication of how we are conditioned to respond based on our perception of the stimulus, based on a whole host of variables (cultural, psychological, spiritual, generational, ancestral...)

"How we are conditioned" jumps out at me. We have all been conditioned in so many ways that we aren't even aware of...

• Like 1

It is the warmth in my heart and the simple joy of being made manifest.

Yeah.. and not quite at the same time. I smile. I don't know why. I smile at friends. I smile at strangers. I just smile. People have thought I must have had the perfect life to smile soo much, and that isn't it. It is a moment, and the smile can fall away. It has always returned. At the moment I'm not smiling. In the next I may...

• Like 1

Wow scary video. I emmediatly thought of my forrest here. Imagine if they removed it and put up a parking lot instead. I would be mad furious. Well not scary video, I mean my thought was scary.

And yes, you are right. Your happiness comes from your thoughts. You found the secret alright. I found the secret to living in fear. Our thoughts are also responsible for depression, despair and fear. Our thoughts are responsible for everything that matters. Infact, some say thought becomes form.

1. To obtain Magical Power, learn to control thought; admit only those ideas that are in harmony with the end desired, and not every stray and contradictory Idea that presents itself.
  2. Fixed thought is a means to an end. Therefore pay attention to the power of silent thought and meditation. The material act is but the outward expression of thy thought, and therefore hath it been said that “the thought of foolishness is sin.” Thought is the commencement of action, and if a chance thought can produce much effect, what cannot fixed thought do?

http://hermetic.com/crowley/libers/lib30.html

The question is how do you change a negative thought causing negative emotion to a positive thought causing positive emotion? Cause if we knew that we would have the key to happeniss. And ofcourse the answer is emotion. We have to feel our way there. But I struggle there and even wonder if it is possible. Because I cannot come up with any thoughts that would cause me to feel good.

What I used to do was this ;     it could always be worse .  And I have seen worse ... much worse.  And that spread; a bad weather day pouring with rain ?  Well, I have been alone isolated in the wilderness, sick and in a flood .... I just think; I have a roof over my head and food in the cupboard, thats pretty good.  My last GF had moments of ....  ( I better not say !  :D ) ... but at other times ... WOW ! She dumped me  ... oh well, dont have to put up with that no more.  I am in pain every day and have been for over a year ... but I can still walk and crawl around in the garden to  do the gardening .....  get it ? 

I was lying smashed up on the road once after a motorcycle stack, country road, blind corner, if a car comes its gonna run right over me as I couldnt move . I looked around ... well, this isnt too bad a place to die - it could be worse.

Now this is really annoying when others constantly go on about it  .... 

d37ccca710b9ab8940e86fedf69453a2.jpg

... but I learnt to use it for myself ,   I guess that is not the only dynamic . I appear to have great serotonin levels  .

Got a problem ?   Take a trip to Calcutta.

So really. There is no choice. It's not up to us how we feel.

No .... it is !   Unless your brain chemical mix is off.  

I can only direct my thoughts a little hit. Distract from this focus on that. Doesn't really do much for me. I find equal boring thoughts as thoughts of contentment.

I'm stuck in this in between state of emotion.

.... at least you are not manic depressive    ;)

• Like 1

I wonder if we can separate thought from emotion so completely?

I think the two are inter-related at a fairly deep level such that they arise together.

In that sense, perhaps emotion can be inaccurate as well.

I don't see it as black and white as you but that doesn't meant that I am correct.

Can there be thought without language? Does the child experience emotions before learning the words to speak of said emotion? Or do we label their smiles and cries something other than emotion?

• Like 2

Can there be thought without language? Does the child experience emotions before learning the words to speak of said emotion? Or do we label their smiles and cries something other than emotion?

I love the way you phrased those questions.

I think emotions are usually layered, and most people feel a whole lot more than they are aware of feeling at a given moment. At least that´s the way it is for me. If I do something expressive that elicits emotions -- writing, some forms of spiritual practice, just sitting quietly -- feelings I wasn´t previously aware of bubble up.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

I think emotions are usually layered, and most people feel a whole lot more than they are aware of feeling at a given moment. At least that´s the way it is for me. If I do something expressive that elicits emotions -- writing, some forms of spiritual practice, just sitting quietly -- feelings I wasn´t previously aware of bubble up.Liminal

I think you're right. I recently realized that I was all tied up in knots of anxiety and maniacally watchful - buried under a veneer of happy smiles when things were going well and quiet calmness when they weren't. I clung to now with all the tenacity of someone floating on a little tiny piece of a wrecked ship, as I was tossed about by the ocean of life - grateful to be alive, but incapable of really feeling alive.

• Like 2