non local

A Student In The Abyss

I've gone through something similar man.  Something you've gotta remember is that as bleak as life looks now, there seem to be others out there that have found a life worth living on the spiritual path and in life in general.  Thinking of these beings may help light the fire in you to start up your practice again and find a teacher.  If these existential issues really bother the hell out of you and make it so youre unable to function I'd say that its an absolute necessity to practice daily. Pick something and stick to it.

Wordly life does seem pretty meaningless without a spiritual practice at its core.  I would simply be unable to function unless I felt like I was addressing these issues.  But I don't address them by thinking about them anymore.  The primary series of astanga yoga has been very grounding for me and its 8-limbed path is something that very much resonates with me.  I highly recommend it.  I know my practice addresses this existential anxiety.

Practice, practice, practice.  What else is there to do? I'm not too far in but it seems quite worthwhile, even in the short-term. Hope this helps man. <3

Edited by Pits&Bieces
  • Like 1

I realized that you remind me of a guy at an intersection with a "i'm hungry, please help" sign who once flipped me off for offering him a sandwich.

If you aren't willing to consider the possibility that someone, maybe within walking distance, might be willing & able to help you...

Well...

<shrug>

• Like 2

I realized that you remind me of a guy at an intersection with a "i'm hungry, please help" sign who once flipped me off for offering him a sandwich.

If you aren't willing to consider the possibility that someone, maybe within walking distance, might be willing & able to help you...

Well...

<shrug>

Sometimes when you fall down the well....despite the pain and sorrow you may feel at the bottom....it can turn into a strange and twisted bed of comfort to stay their and not try and climb back out. Been there a couple of times myself.  

Well...

<shrug>

So, I remind you of a person who you perceived to be "in need",

who didn't want your "help"- or what you perceived to be "helping"-

and that stirred a heavy emotional response within you as it seems that brief scenario has left a big enough impression on you to reference it within conversation/dialogue.

What do you consider "helping others" to be exactly?  :)

Considering my location, I know for a fact there is no one within walking distance and like I said I don't have the funds or the transportation. Yet you persist, treating possibility as certainty, so confident in what you perceive to be your community, so sure that this internet forum is so far reaching that certainly there would be a member within walking distance of my location.

A very "self righteous/do good" narrative

I've gone through something similar man.  Something you've gotta remember is that as bleak as life looks now, there seem to be others out there that have found a life worth living on the spiritual path and in life in general.  Thinking of these beings may help light the fire in you to start up your practice again and find a teacher.  If these existential issues really bother the hell out of you and make it so youre unable to function I'd say that its an absolute necessity to practice daily. Pick something and stick to it.

Wordly life does seem pretty meaningless without a spiritual practice at its core.  I would simply be unable to function unless I felt like I was addressing these issues.  But I don't address them by thinking about them anymore.  The primary series of astanga yoga has been very grounding for me and its 8-limbed path is something that very much resonates with me.  I highly recommend it.  I know my practice addresses this existential anxiety.

Practice, practice, practice.  What else is there to do? I'm not too far in but it seems quite worthwhile, even in the short-term. Hope this helps man. <3

life is meaningless regardless of what spiritual practice, or whatever other egoistic "comfort food" one favors.

I appreciate that you acknowledged yourself as a novice in matters such as these.

Sometimes when you fall down the well....despite the pain and sorrow you may feel at the bottom....it can turn into a strange and twisted bed of comfort to stay their and not try and climb back out. Been there a couple of times myself.  

The pain and sorrow of existence, the bleakness of the american experience post 2000.

I think it is better to overcome/transcend the pain, become numb to it, than to try to float out of/above it by building up these illusions to comfort you or provide a sense of stability, where there is none.

People who try to be happy all the time are just as bad as people who are depressed all the time.

Sorrow is happiness. Happiness is sorrow.

To whatever extreme the pendulum swings, it will eventually swing to the opposite side with equal force.

The "more" unbiased/"truer" nature is to be found where the pendulum is at rest, in the middle- neutrality.

The pain and sorrow of existence, the bleakness of the american experience post 2000.

I think it is better to overcome/transcend the pain, become numb to it, than to try to float out of/above it by building up these illusions to comfort you or provide a sense of stability, where there is none.

People who try to be happy all the time are just as bad as people who are depressed all the time.

Sorrow is happiness. Happiness is sorrow.

To whatever extreme the pendulum swings, it will eventually swing to the opposite side with equal force.

The "more" unbiased/"truer" nature is to be found where the pendulum is at rest, in the middle- neutrality.

Balance is key. 

Actually the 90's were no picnic either.  <kidding.. sort of>

maybe you can use this experience.  This state of blah.  Take advantage of it. 

The blessing of it is- no distractions, an unusually quiet mind. That's pretty powerful.  It'll probably pass by itself, but for now, if you can muster the will power, meditative practices might be much deeper, ie gain the equivalent of years of practice in months.  Use this space of time skillfully..  maybe