Michael Sternbach

Tarot as a System of Metaphysical Philosophy

That is interesting!

I need my securities in 'home' and dont care about financial securities.  

I wildly threw that to the wind , but I managed to manifest a fantastic home on large land and beautiful surrounding nature (another thing I crave).

Accordingly I have space and freedom,  pretty much do what I want in my 'magical' pursuits; I was even able to build a largish outdoor 'temple' building, large outdoor circle with elemental altars  ,  grow plants and medicinal and magical herbs ( and food ) , and have access to 'bush tucker' and natural medicines.

Also, I managed to have access to one of our oldest extant spiritual  cultures.

Nowadays , I  dont even have to remember to have gratitude , its constantly springing from me, back into nature. 

Some might want to know how I got those things without the money first ?

Why, magic of course      ;)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I wildly threw that to the wind , but I managed to manifest a fantastic home on large land and beautiful surrounding nature (another thing I crave).

Accordingly I have space and freedom,  pretty much do what I want in my 'magical' pursuits; I was even able to build a largish outdoor 'temple' building, large outdoor circle with elemental altars  ,  grow plants and medicinal and magical herbs ( and food ) , and have access to 'bush tucker' and natural medicines.

Also, I managed to have access to one of our oldest extant spiritual  cultures.I wildly threw that to the wind , but I managed to manifest a fantastic home on large land and beautiful surrounding nature (another thing I crave).

Also, I managed to have access to one of our oldest extant spiritual  cultures.

That sounds pretty perfect, Nungali. :-)

UFA

Frater UFA:

Would you care to expand? Becoming wealthy isn't easy. What in employing Tarot changes the situation?

All my best,

Mandrake

spiritual wealth is how i see it

M10-small-image.gif

The Wheel of Fortune turns:

Diminished, I descend;

Another is lifted, And raised too high;

A king sits at the summit - Beware thy ruin!

For under the axle we read

That Hecuba was Queen!

Carmina Burana

The wheel represents the inexorable rise and fall of fortune. In her right hand Fortuna holds the tiller by which she steers the course of events, and in her left she holds the cornucopia, the fruits of respecting her laws.

At Fortuna's right a young and nimble youth ascends with the wheel; his rising station and power sow the seeds of his inevitable decline, but his sprouting ass's ears show us that he cannot see beyond his immanent triumph. His power reaches its maturity and he is the king of all he surveys, yet this very power leads to rigidity, which will topple him with the wheel's revolution. Still the ass, he cannot give up his rigidity although his power falls precipitously. Only when his fortune bottoms out, does he begin to loosen up, and regain the flexibility that will allow another, hopefully wiser, ascent. So it is with kings and corporations, societies and schools, fortunes and philosophies.

The alchemist knows Fortuna's law, and can use it beneficially, harnessing the descent as a means of disintegration to achieve a higher integration. Then the rotation of the elements becomes an ascending spiral. He also knows that, although the wheel's rim always moves, hidden behind Fortuna's captivating form is the stationary axis, the unmoving hub, the fixed point immune to changing fortune. This is where he stations himself when he has had enough of riding Fortune's Wheel.

X.Fortune has no corresponding trigram because she is the Lady of Chance, the yin force opposite to I.Magician, the Lord of Chance, the yang force; together they govern the First Ogdoad, the Personal Triumphs, comprising trumps II-IX. X.Fortune separates the Personal Triumphs, which represent the descent of spirit into matter, manifesting as success in the world, from the Universal Triumphs (trumps XI-XX), representing the re-ascent of the spirit from matter, manifesting as a turn inward and as spiritual accomplishments; the Wheel is the "turning point" from "involution and generation" to "evolution and regeneration." (Nichols 190-1).

It is significant that Fortune is trump 10, for the Pythagoreans say that the decad is a higher-order unity, since the decad circles back on itself and encompasses all the elementary numbers. This is symbolized by Greek and Roman numerals, since the Greek numeral for 10 is I, which is also the Roman numeral for 1. The Pythagoreans also call the decad "Fate" and the "All-fulfiller," since it brings all things to their natural ends. It represents the wheel, for it comprises the monad (1) and the ennead (9), which are the hub and the rim. Indeed, it is the outermost rim of the heavens, which turns all the inner spheres.

X.Fortune heralds a new epoch of integration. (Cooper s.v. numbers; Jung, Aion 134; Nichols 199; Schimmel 182 ; TA 79, 81-3, 86; see also my commentary on the 10s in the Minor Arcana)

Thus, the Wheel has both the perfection of the decad (Greek I), but the excess of the hendecad, which marks the first step (Roman I) beyond that perfection to another level, for the Wheel separates the personal triumphs (I-IX) from the universal triumphs (XI-XX). According to Rene Guinon the hendecad represents the Hieros Gamos (Sacred Marriage), which both joins the bodies (2+3) and unites the souls (243) of the female (2) and male (3). (Schimmel 189, 191)
  • Like 4

spiritual wealth is how i see it

No occult apologism here. I do not mean anything as abstract as "spiritual wealth". I mean actual currency, millions of dollars.

UFA

No occult apologism here. I do not mean anything as abstract as "spiritual wealth". I mean actual currency, millions of dollars.

UFA

Inner peace is not abstract.

UFA

It's probably not what you are talking about either, but I once heard from a reliable source of a lady who was making millions by stock marketing in connection with Tarot readings.

It's probably not what you are talking about either, but I once heard from a reliable source of a lady who was making millions by stock marketing in connection with Tarot readings.

She was probably selling stock tips over the phone :-)

UFA

• Like 1

i was speaking for myself.

That's fine, but you quoted my reply to someone else so you tacitly accepted the burden of our context :-)

UFA

oh my.

Keep calm and carry on. I know the burden of this terrible revelation weighs heavily on your soul, but if it is any consolation, ramen with an egg is also not abstract.

UFA

Keep calm and carry on. I know the burden of this terrible revelation weighs heavily on your soul, but if it is any consolation, ramen with an egg is also not abstract.

UFA

burden of what revelation?

that the skills learned through tarot and the occult can be applied to the real world, for organizational and psychological advantages towards making headway in business and making real money? I was aware of that friend, you're not the only sailor on the boat, ya know. ^_^

Edited by noonespecial

M10-small-image.gif

The Wheel of Fortune turns:

Diminished, I descend;

Another is lifted, And raised too high;

A king sits at the summit - Beware thy ruin!

For under the axle we read

That Hecuba was Queen!

Carmina Burana

The wheel represents the inexorable rise and fall of fortune. In her right hand Fortuna holds the tiller by which she steers the course of events, and in her left she holds the cornucopia, the fruits of respecting her laws.

At Fortuna's right a young and nimble youth ascends with the wheel; his rising station and power sow the seeds of his inevitable decline, but his sprouting ass's ears show us that he cannot see beyond his immanent triumph. His power reaches its maturity and he is the king of all he surveys, yet this very power leads to rigidity, which will topple him with the wheel's revolution. Still the ass, he cannot give up his rigidity although his power falls precipitously. Only when his fortune bottoms out, does he begin to loosen up, and regain the flexibility that will allow another, hopefully wiser, ascent. So it is with kings and corporations, societies and schools, fortunes and philosophies.

The alchemist knows Fortuna's law, and can use it beneficially, harnessing the descent as a means of disintegration to achieve a higher integration. Then the rotation of the elements becomes an ascending spiral. He also knows that, although the wheel's rim always moves, hidden behind Fortuna's captivating form is the stationary axis, the unmoving hub, the fixed point immune to changing fortune. This is where he stations himself when he has had enough of riding Fortune's Wheel.

X.Fortune has no corresponding trigram because she is the Lady of Chance, the yin force opposite to I.Magician, the Lord of Chance, the yang force; together they govern the First Ogdoad, the Personal Triumphs, comprising trumps II-IX. X.Fortune separates the Personal Triumphs, which represent the descent of spirit into matter, manifesting as success in the world, from the Universal Triumphs (trumps XI-XX), representing the re-ascent of the spirit from matter, manifesting as a turn inward and as spiritual accomplishments; the Wheel is the "turning point" from "involution and generation" to "evolution and regeneration." (Nichols 190-1).

It is significant that Fortune is trump 10, for the Pythagoreans say that the decad is a higher-order unity, since the decad circles back on itself and encompasses all the elementary numbers. This is symbolized by Greek and Roman numerals, since the Greek numeral for 10 is I, which is also the Roman numeral for 1. The Pythagoreans also call the decad "Fate" and the "All-fulfiller," since it brings all things to their natural ends. It represents the wheel, for it comprises the monad (1) and the ennead (9), which are the hub and the rim. Indeed, it is the outermost rim of the heavens, which turns all the inner spheres.

X.Fortune heralds a new epoch of integration. (Cooper s.v. numbers; Jung, Aion 134; Nichols 199; Schimmel 182 ; TA 79, 81-3, 86; see also my commentary on the 10s in the Minor Arcana)

Thus, the Wheel has both the perfection of the decad (Greek I), but the excess of the hendecad, which marks the first step (Roman I) beyond that perfection to another level, for the Wheel separates the personal triumphs (I-IX) from the universal triumphs (XI-XX). According to Rene Guinon the hendecad represents the Hieros Gamos (Sacred Marriage), which both joins the bodies (2+3) and unites the souls (243) of the female (2) and male (3). (Schimmel 189, 191)

Some very interesting things in there .....   but that is the first time I have seen that card with 4 figures on the rim of the Wheel.  It seems to have manifested latter (?)  as 3 figures on the Wheel and four 'about' the Wheel (or at the corners of the card ).

She was probably selling stock tips over the phone :-)

UFA

Ha!  Just after reading 9th's  'deep'  view on what the Wheel can symbolise, I was thrown to the opposite side of tarot after reading that comment ......

.... like those weird times that I , for whatever perverted reason, sometimes late at night, happen upon the tv psychic /  tarot reading show and watch it for a minute or two ( that's about the limit ) ......     ohhhh  my  ....  !        :blink:

Some very interesting things in there .....   but that is the first time I have seen that card with 4 figures on the rim of the Wheel.  It seems to have manifested latter (?)  as 3 figures on the Wheel and four 'about' the Wheel (or at the corners of the card ).

4 at the cardinal points is more in keeping with the medieval symbology.. its earlier, not later

CarminaBurana_wheel.jpg

Here are some images that seem to suggest the development of another card;

1384529108HADReliefofMithrasbeingbornfro

A form of Mithras within the belt of the Zodiac. At the base seem 'serpentined signs'   Capricorn and Aquarius .

p020_1_01.jpg

A more developed image;  the ring or egg of the zodiac is more defined.  The Serpentine image entwines the figure. The 4 images appear in the corners. Note the staff and scroll.  Also, other symbols - wings / fire near feet and back and a solar head dress ( a common motif  that seems earlier than the 'usual Phrygian Cap ) seem to suggest Mercurial qualities

9961-004-9DD22BCA.jpg

Here, in the more classical bull sacrifice image the zodiac appears to form an arch .

solinvictus.jpg

Now the arch seems a type of wreath.

21.jpg

Here the wreath seems in place as the zodiac.  in place of a snake is a scarf, the central image is female and holds two batons to replace the baton and staff. 

world-tarot-card.jpg

thuniverse.JPG

In the Thoth deck the woman and snake (now a snake again) are connected  and 'entwined' but in a different manner. The circle of the Zodiac has become the Universe.

Is the classic  World tarot card  based on iconography of Mithras ?

Edited by Nungali

4 at the cardinal points is more in keeping with the medieval symbology.. its earlier, not later

Yes, I said the card with 3 figures on the wheel seems to have manifested later. 

Now I am wondering how the 3 got into the image and the 4 at the extremities ? 

Interesting narrative, Nungali.

My story is a bit different. In my younger years, I was (like many) a person who eschewed money and assumed that the quest for spiritual truth was mutually exclusive with more mundane pursuits. But as the years progressed, I learned to use Tarot as a psychological mirror and it taught me a number of things. One of those things was financial responsibility. Money is a powerful force which can have good and bad outcomes (such as the one Nungali described). But it is neutral of itself. So how could one seriously seek out more powerful forces if they can't demonstrate a mastery of such a basic one as that?

Another was that before the serious pursuit of esotericism can commence, one must seek to satisfy one's worldly desires. I had not the slightest inkling in those early days of how deeply buried the need for financial security was in my psyche. Tarot and astrology helped me to identify that urge and later, taught me what I needed to do to satisfy it.

So as a direct result, I became wealthy. Not only in the sense that I live far below my means, but also in the sense that my means are far above the average. 

UFA

UFA:

Thank you for a good post. Indeed, I meant wealth in its obvious sense (financial) and not as a metaphor.

"Another was that before the serious pursuit of esotericism can commence, one must seek to satisfy one's worldly desires. I had not the slightest inkling in those early days of how deeply buried the need for financial security was in my psyche. Tarot and astrology helped me to identify that urge and later, taught me what I needed to do to satisfy it."

Great! I've seen a lot of denial, and burial in people who are spiritual aspirants. And I think the tricky aspect is that one can repress desires and then convince oneself that one doesn't have them, or that one has conquered them. In fact, one may have been succesful in pushing them into one's basement of the mind, so to speak.

There is a tendency to explain away and defend an inability, and at least in the Western paths there is no excuse for not having mastery over life.

Thank you for your input; much appreciated.

M

In fact, one may have been succesful in pushing them into one's basement of the mind, so to speak.

You speak in a very straightforward manner there. Good choice of words :-)

UFA

Yes, I said the card with 3 figures on the wheel seems to have manifested later. 

Now I am wondering how the 3 got into the image and the 4 at the extremities ? 

Supposedly the Tarot may have derived from some Sufi teaching tools and/or a confluence of traditions between practicing aristocrats in Venice.  It did not spring up from nowhere, but rather arose through efforts which systematized and codified many correlations of esoteric thought, brought about from the synthesis of cultures in the renaissance period.

So the 3 around the wheel may be an addition from a non-european source, as a further clarification of the concept.

I would have thought 'Christian trinitarianism '  'trumped'  any 'Islamic dualism' in tarot. 

Edited by Nungali

I think Tarot is great for two things.

1) Unlocking the subconscious/unconscious -The cards can be read in so many ways that the reader sees what his subconscious sees. I have done this on various people and told them the various meaning of each card presented to them. They only see ONE answer though whereas I see there are many interpretations. Sometimes people like the answer and sometimes they don't ... it gives them a better idea of what they really think of the matter they bring to question either way.

2) Writing - Amazing for building characters and plots. Just do three random selections for make believe characters and flesh them out. If you have a character you are writing about just do a reading and it will bring up various ideas for you to use and help make the character more accessible.

Does anyone here know how to play the original game the cards were made for? I've heard its pretty good.