thelerner

How does your garden grow?

Anyone  need an easy to make   cheap,  dry composting toilet design ?  

Or a great method and recipe  for bio-dynamic compost ?    Last time I made it , it was  amazing , unlike any other compost I have made - I stuck my hand in, grabbed some and pulled it out and  a clump nearly as big as soccer ball came out ....  very light and fluffy and cohesive , light and moist but not wet , similar to 'coir peat ' . 

It usually looks like this, with 'clumps'  this size or  smaller 

Image result for bio dynamic compost

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

Has anyone here grown  ' Golden Shallots'  of  'French Shallots '   or something similar ?  

My winter garlic has poked through the munch with green tips ..... but the shallot bulbs   .... nt a trace, not even a new root coming out the bottom ?  :unsure:

On 07/06/2017 at 7:21 AM, Nungali said:

Has anyone here grown  ' Golden Shallots'  of  'French Shallots '   or something similar ?  

My winter garlic has poked through the munch with green tips ..... but the shallot bulbs   .... nt a trace, not even a new root coming out the bottom ?  :unsure:

Hi Nungali,

my brother in law planted a bought shallot clump,it settled into his garden very well,multiplying with new stalks,he has had growing now for many years harvesting as he chooses.

• Like 1

I meant these 

' Golden Shallots'  of  'French Shallots '  

Image result for ' Golden Shallots' of 'French Shallots '

but golden or 'normal' onion color .    Is this what you thought ?

It is confusing here , shallots can also mean   ' scallions  '    .... urrrgh !   

Image result for ' Golden Shallots' of 'French Shallots '

(no, that isnt a 'glitch in the Matrix '     :rolleyes:  )  

But what you seem to be describing is the way  'chives'  grow    ?  

Image result for chives

I grew them once, they kept growing for years ,  spread, had to dig them out and ......  massive root clump !

left a big hole in the ground  ( first attempt I just turned them upside down, roots up on the clump and  covered it, they regrew ! )

Hmmm .... I gotta get this straight  ....    the Chinese know their vegies well  - 

chive n. 香葱,细香葱;韭黄
shallot n. 葱
scallion n. 青葱,冬葱;韭葱
spring onion 葱;(英)大葱;生吃的小洋葱   : 

Chives are a herb - we only eat the part that grows above ground ie we eat the shoots not the bulbs. The part we eat looks like dark green grass with thin tubular shoots. You'd typically cut chives into small pieces and sprinkle on top of a dish just before serving to give a fresh, onion taste. Sour cream and chives is a popular topping for baked potatoes.

Spring onions and scallions are alternative names for the same thing. We tend to say spring onions in Britain and scallions in the US. They have a small white bulb and long shoots which are white at the base and dark green at the tips. You can eat them raw in salads, or cooked in Asian-style stir-fries.

Shallots are small onions, maybe 5 cm long by 3 cm wide, often reddish in colour. As with ordinary onions, we only eat the bulbs of shallots.

• Like 2

grow your own ...

Buddha fruit  ;

A company has come up with a bizarre way to make fruit and vegetables more appealing by shaping them with special moulds. Pictured is a Buddha-shaped pear made by the firm       

Custom shape designs for produce can be submitted through the firm's website

China-based Fruit Mould Co makes ingenious moulds to grow fruit into strange shapes

or a love apple 

Heart shaped apples have been produced with the word 'love' across them

• Like 4

Wow, my 'dwarf' broad beans   sooooo big !  nearly taller than me now, masses of flowers but no beans  yet   :(   

The first flowers on the chilli and capsicum .  A few ornamental flowers out .   Corriander loves the cold though, going well with the parsley. I should be eating brocollini any day now .   and    heaps of the gai lan sprouts are up and I got the bed for them ready yesterday  .  I should have garden greens happening for some time now.

The Moon  and Sun is about to turn ....  winter solstice today and new moon in a couple of days ... then things should really take off ...  if there is no frost .  

My potatoes have finally sprouted,  nearly got the beds ready ....        a plantin I shall I go !   I am going to build them up with  sugar cane straw mulch and 'active 8 '  *   ....     too wet here to dig them down into the ground

besides ....   I am a lazy  digger 

Image result for dog digging gif

*  http://www.rpmulching.com.au/growing-media/active-8

• Like 5

we shall see in summer ;

Image result for roast potato salad

( Thats my 'Danish potato salad' .....  took it to a potluck dinner once ;

" What's this ? "

" Danish potato salad ."

"Why is it  Danish  potato salad ? "

" Because if I call it Nungal potato salad and you dont like it you will say 'I do't like Nungali's cooking. But if I call it  Danish potato salad and you dont like it you will say ' Oh, I dont like that Danish potato salad . "  )

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Nungali said:

we shall see in summer ;

Image result for roast potato salad

( Thats my 'Danish potato salad' .....  took it to a potluck dinner once ;

" What's this ? "

" Danish potato salad ."

"Why is it  Danish  potato salad ? "

" Because if I call it Nungal potato salad and you dont like it you will say 'I do't like Nungali's cooking. But if I call it  Danish potato salad and you dont like it you will say ' Oh, I dont like that Danish potato salad . "  )

I see roasted potatoes, celery, and chives. Is that mint and mustard seed? I am always looking for non-mayonnaise based salads. Recipe please?

• Like 1

My recipe would be ;  Roast potatoes  ( roasted with dry coriander seed pods and mustard seed , pepper , rock salt ) ,  cool,  sprinkle with   chopped up ......  garden sprinkles - whatever -  lemon juice,   fresh ground pepper and salt - dash smoked paprika . 

< next week's recipe  -  'Venusian Oysters '     ;) > 

.....    I decided I had more room ; made a trellis and planted sugar snap peas - yum .

- and now ;  its past 3pm ...  I have to go to a 1 year old's baby birthday party ... :D  

• Like 2