eye_of_the_storm

Living Family Permaculture Vs Dead Cities

the1gza has a good point

awakening has to come in steps. meat-eating is not only about diet, it is an offset of another bigger problem in the world. it is a compensation to feed the negative side that is constantly being pumped into the psyche of people.

just diet alone will not make you healthy, it can help you be healthy. vegan diet will help you, animal will deteriorate you. but it is not a magic pill it is only a step you can take

speaking about pills:

red-pill-or-blue-pill.jpg
  • Like 1

i also want to warn people when someone see on the internet or open some mainstream vegan article there is an image of a bowl of bland vegetables with a tomato inside image of the sort. this certainly doesnt help. it is not the correct way to eat a healty diet. certain vegetables may be high in nutrition but it is not caloric, and it is not a staple food that should be eaten as a substitute for the main dish. grains/legumes, breads (other than wheat) is the food you need for energy to function

thanks for listening hope this helps the trend about the unhealthy vegans :P

these things arn't to convert anyone.. people are what they are... some just a reminder

for me it was walking down the main mall in the city coming home from uni and somebody handed me some paper with text and images of what was happening... from that moment I changed based on the information I received and was previously unaware of. I am grateful to that person for opening my eyes to the reality of things...and me no longer being part of that torturous system.

Edited by eye_of_the_storm

The sad thing to me is that people on the, lets all go back to the vegan homestead side lose support of those who'd be natural alies because going part way isn't good enough.  Anyone who doesn't fall completely into there camp is brain washed.   <I've also found many of the most radical believers are hypocrites who don't walk there talk.  Its what other people should do, but they don't>

Mention 100's of miles of corn are being used inefficiently for enthanol could used for better purpose and you get angry replies about Nafta and corn farmers in Mexico.  Are they for ethanol, against it, or the mere mention of corns sets them off?? 

Many people do well, others do poorly on veganism. Most important of all, unless your hoping for a Maoist revolution where elite and educated are forced into tiny farms (to survive or not) you ain't gonna get your land distribution.  You'll get 10's of millions of dead, just like Mao. 

The dream is a good one.  It just has to be done family by family.  Hopefully with as little government help or hindrance as possible. 

New doc exposing China's very serious smog pollution in the cities.

Even the qigong master said it took him a while to recover from this smog after he visited China for a couple weeks.

Think about it - tens of millions - hundreds of millions starved in China so that the industrialized cities could be fed.

The same thing happened for the rapid industrialization of Russia - Lenin and Stalin literally starved the farmers in order to feed the cities.

Cities are parasites and Western monocultural farming destroys the land - in the U.S. we have drought increasing, a huge dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico from all the phosphorus and nitrates washing off the farms into the Mississippi, and then we export the grain to "dump" on other countries which wipes out their small sustainable farms and makes those countries dependent on the huge oil-based synthetic farming.

That "Green Revolution" idea was then spread around the world causing deep wells to use up all the water for intensive irrigation and dependence on high cost synthetic inputs that are poison.

It's all based on the Western "monocultures of the mind" as Vandana Shiva points out.

• Like 1

There were 10's of millions of Chinese people who actually starved (not potentially) in the late 60's and 70's.  This wasn't maybe starving this was real people dying painfully.  It happened because Mao forced millions to the country side to become simple farmers and they starved. 

That really happened, not a what if.  Similarly there was horrible pollution here in the States in the 60's and 70's.  Very bad, not that its great now, but we've cleaned up the worst of our smog, stopped the worst the acid rain that was destroying whole forrests.  Again we're far from perfect, but in most metrics (clean air and water) we've been moving steadily better for a long while. 

My point it is, with good policies things can be turned around.  There is impetus for China to clean up its act.  It has too.  Things change and evolve, you usually can't set the future by looking at just 2 or 3 points, because imo things move in pendulum.  The damage of pollution is vast; a generations worth, it'll take a generation, say 20 years to clean up.  

But I bet they will.  The Chinese are smart, they've seen there skies darken and people sicken due to smog.   The earth can be forgiving, it is the ultimate recycler, especially when given a breather.   

• Like 1

I'm sure people starved during the Cultural Revolution but I was referring to the Great Leap Forward:

China's Great Famine: the true story - The Guardian
www.theguardian.com › World › China
The Guardian

Jan 1, 2013 - The famine that killed up to 45 million people remains a taboo subject in ... In 1958 he sought to go further, launching the Great Leap Forward: a ...

But also the Taiping Revolution  - 60 million killed largely due to famine and plague.

How many died in the Chinese Taiping Rebellion? | All ...
www.historyanswers.co.uk/.../how-many-died-in-the-chinese-taiping-reb...

Aug 15, 2014 - Conservative estimates of the dead in the 14-year Taiping Rebellion in ... Taiping were unable to feed their massive armies and many starved.

On China's smog - I'm watching the lecture now - the lady says, sourcing scientists, China has to reduce coal to burning under 2 billion tons a year - and also needs to wash the scrap coal - and also increase the environmental filters on cars and smokestacks.

But consider also the China's main source of soy to feed their pigs is now Minnesota-based Cargill having put illegal soy elevators in the Amazon rainforest - causing deforestation.

So the world economy is completely interwoven now - and so environmental destruction can not be simplified to a nation by nation basis - like "we cleaned up." blah blah.

Consider that U.S. tobacco companies rely on exports as their main business now - so yes the U.S. "cleaned up" tobacco deaths - but in fact in Indonesia - it is the 3rd largest smoking country now after China and India - and so the U.S. actually sued other Asian countries to enforce no regulations on promoting tobacco - under the World Trade Organization which is the global fascist corporate secret government.

So there is an epidemic of children smoking in Indonesia now - starting at age 10 years old, etc. - causing a huge spike in tobacco sales and the U.S. companies are targeting the children.

So yes the "u.S." can clean up its pollution but U.S. corporate culture is global now.

The industrialization of China relying on increased meat consumption to increase the jing energy is based on USAID partnering with Cargill to destroy the Amazon rainforest and the Pantanal, the largest wetland in the world in Brazil.

Brazil is one of the world’s top producers of soybean crop. In the nine states of the Brazilian Amazon, the area under intensive mechanized agriculture grew by more than 3.6 million hectares from 2001 to 20044. Forces driving the expansion of soybean production include lower transportation cost as a result of improved local infrastructure, higher international demands for soybean prices, and rapid economic growth in China (9%per year)5 which consumes great quantities of soybean products.

While soybean offers great economic opportunities for Brazil, huge mechanized, soy monocultures destroy tropical ecosystems, accelerate climate change, and cause human rights abuses primarily to produce agrofuel and livestock feed. The soya industry wipes out biodiversity, destroys soil fertility, pollutes freshwater and displaces communities. Soybean production expands the agricultural frontier not only through fire and deforestation to clear ancient rainforests, but more importantly by pushing cattle ranches and displacing forest peoples further into natural rainforest ecosystems.

http://worldinfo.org/2012/01/food-for-thought-soybean-endangers-brazil-amazon-rainforest/

China buys 50% of Brazil's soybeans and Brazil, from Cargill, is now the largest producer in the world, beating out U.S.

The soy is the main feed source for eating pork in China.

• Like 1

Also the smog, she said, kills 500,000 people a year in China.

So - considering human population has skyrocketed - and even with these massive kills-offs - it will keep increasing.

Only if humans have one child per reproductive couple will human population begin to decrease enough for a difference.

So that is why there needs to be more qigong people who don't make babies. haha.

Population increase is exponential while food increase is arithmetic.

So now she says that China is building housing for 3.4 billion people - and coal use will grow to 6 billion tons a year in 15 years with 400 million cars.

doesn't look good.

• Like 1

boys and girls it is pointless to discuss the matrix. look see and understand that there is a problem beneath the problem. it can be supressed like it has been for so long, but it cannot be undone

i suggest everyone research The Venus Project and work of Jacque Fresco. he knows and is supported by many independent scientific communities who understand the global repercussions and who have a solution. the solution is not to "go back" the solution is to use what is best or "substantially better" that is available at this moment.

people must stop being mind controlled and understand that they are perpetuating the problem to themselves by "psychological time". it is essential to try to live in the now and not the past or the future. but hopefuly this is what people are doing with their practice here. remember that you need to clear out more crap than you take in to make progress. your cultural programming is no exception! ;)

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PizMuqZUWbY

"Part I of this three-part documentary series explores the determinants of behavior to dispel the myth of “human nature” demonstrating that environment shapes behavior. Part II illustrates how our social structures impose our values and behaviors demonstrating that our global monetary system is obsolete and increasingly insufficient to meet the needs of most people. Part III, to be released this year, will depict the vision of The Venus Project to build an entirely new world from the ground up, a “redesign of the culture” where all enjoy a high standard of living, free of servitude and debt, while also protecting the environment."

thanks,

and no victim mentality please ^_^

I believe this thread is exactly reflects exactly what I am talking about here. None of these solutions are flawless, and require changes within people that have far more to do with changing internal value structures and not simply building new things or living with nature. This is what is missed in all these global solutions; people have been ignoring the profuse amount of psychological overhaul and transmutation that is necessary to make these proposed changes. Nope, let's just go back to being farmers and stop killing animals. Let's build some nice-looking eco-building, but make sure there's a lot of trees around it because we want it to be "Green". When it gets down to it, however, we have to think about just exactly what that means... hell, even on a structural level, do you know how much work it would take to tear down these cities we got? Take that couple it with the psychological work... it's about a whole lot more than statistics and ideals. There a ridiculous amount of work at the smallest level of humanity that, like I said, requires a transformation into a human being that wouldn't even resemble what we know to be human now. If we think we are going to make a "New World" while acting and thinking like we do now, and having the priorities that we have now, then I think that would be wishful thinking at best, if not outright foolishness. 

The Venus Project is mind-control in its worst form - techno-fixes are the cause of the problem.

The best solution is to plant trees - as agroforestry or forest gardens.

The real world lives on good soil - not techno-fixes.

Ecology is way more advanced than any technology - ecology is modeled by "quantum biology" as photon entanglement - but it can't be reproduced by technology.

I donated $400 to Trees for the Future as some of the xmas presents for my family.

That got some - close to 4000 trees planted because the gift certificates cost some money. haha.

It's 10 cents a tree - since planting trees around the equator they grow much faster and so the payback is much better.

So the U.S. is 5% of global population but uses 25% of global energy.

The U.S. has over 400 military bases in other countries and the U.S. military budget is greater than the rest of the world's military budgets combined.

So the U.S. uses depleted uranium in the weapons causing a massive epidemic of toxic waste worldwide - with epidemics of congenital birth defects.

The U.S. military is the worst environmental polluter in the world.

But tree planting can counteract this problem - a global effort of agroforestry projects can transform the planet.

Return and restore the forests.

Trees create water, suck up carbon dioxide, increase oxygen, source of fuel that is renewable and building materials and fodder for animals and fruit, etc.

• Like 2

Falling water tables are already adversely affecting harvest prospects in China, which rivals the US as the world's largest grain producer. A groundwater survey released in Beijing in 2001 indicated that the water table under the North China Plain, an area that produces half of the country's wheat and a third of its corn, was falling fast. Overpumping has largely depleted the shallow aquifer, forcing well-drillers to turn to the region's deep aquifer, which is not replenishable.

The survey reported that under Hebei Province in the heart of the North China Plain, the average level of the deep aquifer was dropping nearly 10 feet per year. Around some cities in the province, it was falling twice as fast. He Qingcheng, head of the groundwater monitoring team, notes that as the deep aquifer is depleted, the region is losing its last water reserve – its only safety cushion.

In 2010, He Qingcheng reported that Beijing was drilling down 1,000 feet to reach an aquifer, five times deeper than 20 years ago. His concerns are mirrored in the unusually strong language of a World Bank report on China's water situation that foresees "catastrophic consequences for future generations" unless water use and supply can quickly be brought back into balance.

'The real threat to our future is peak water'
As population rises, overpumping means some nations have reached peak water, which threatens food supply, says Lester Brown

Funny I asked Jeremy Rifkin in 1998 when he toured about his Biotech Century book - I asked him about water crisis and he told me to talk to Lester Brown.

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2013/jul/06/water-supplies-shrinking-threat-to-food

• Like 1

The Venus Project is mind-control in its worst form - techno-fixes are the cause of the problem.

The best solution is to plant trees - as agroforestry or forest gardens.

The real world lives on good soil - not techno-fixes.

Ecology is way more advanced than any technology - ecology is modeled by "quantum biology" as photon entanglement - but it can't be reproduced by technology.

I donated $400 to Trees for the Future as some of the xmas presents for my family.

That got some - close to 4000 trees planted because the gift certificates cost some money. haha.

It's 10 cents a tree - since planting trees around the equator they grow much faster and so the payback is much better.

So the U.S. is 5% of global population but uses 25% of global energy.

The U.S. has over 400 military bases in other countries and the U.S. military budget is greater than the rest of the world's military budgets combined.

So the U.S. uses depleted uranium in the weapons causing a massive epidemic of toxic waste worldwide - with epidemics of congenital birth defects.

The U.S. military is the worst environmental polluter in the world.

But tree planting can counteract this problem - a global effort of agroforestry projects can transform the planet.

Return and restore the forests.

Trees create water, suck up carbon dioxide, increase oxygen, source of fuel that is renewable and building materials and fodder for animals and fruit, etc.

sounds like a mechanical response from you, because everything you mention + more is the Venus Project. i dont know how you plant trees but im pretty sure youl be using a few tools here and there (which is technology fyi), other than that please do a research, or watch the video i posted, because you clearly didnt.

such preconceived notions and personal truths is what is killing the planet, because it promotes ignorance, regardless of intention of the individual.

Since it takes 1,000 tonnes of water to produce one tonne of grain, importing grain is the most efficient way to import water. Thus trading in grain futures is, in a sense, trading in water futures. To the extent that there is a world water market, it is embodied in the world grain market.

The world has quietly transitioned into a situation where water, not land, has emerged as the principal constraint on expanding food supplies. There is a large area of land that could produce food if water were available.

http://inhabitat.com/nano-water-chip-could-make-desalination-affordable-for-everyone/

O.K. so consider nanotechnology for water desalinization.

That is pretty much the only feasible technofix for the fresh water crisis.

The only thing - the water crisis is interwoven with so many other factors.

Things will get interesting.

The main drive in the water crisis now is big corporations buying up water rights and then selling it back to poor people with a huge profit.

So that type of structural distribution of technology does not favor the poor farmers to use fresh water.

• Like 1

I believe this thread is exactly reflects exactly what I am talking about here. None of these solutions are flawless, and require changes within people that have far more to do with changing internal value structures and not simply building new things or living with nature. This is what is missed in all these global solutions; people have been ignoring the profuse amount of psychological overhaul and transmutation that is necessary to make these proposed changes. Nope, let's just go back to being farmers and stop killing animals. Let's build some nice-looking eco-building, but make sure there's a lot of trees around it because we want it to be "Green". When it gets down to it, however, we have to think about just exactly what that means... hell, even on a structural level, do you know how much work it would take to tear down these cities we got? Take that couple it with the psychological work... it's about a whole lot more than statistics and ideals. There a ridiculous amount of work at the smallest level of humanity that, like I said, requires a transformation into a human being that wouldn't even resemble what we know to be human now. If we think we are going to make a "New World" while acting and thinking like we do now, and having the priorities that we have now, then I think that would be wishful thinking at best, if not outright foolishness. 

no need to be pessimistic. if it stirs something in you that is completely fine, it means you are on the right track and looking for truth. the negativity has to come out.

about the people that are not ready to change, that is true, but thats why it is so important to dispel the ignorance. every day you can make a step, no matter how little, towards a better world.

its a continuos movement, not an instant quantum leap into something. when you want to change something, you have to go to the bottom of it, not just paint over an already painted object with a different colour.

also you cannot go back. its another mind trick. going backwards involves control, hence it is against the DAO. it is another form of "psychological time"

Innersound your spending alot of time trying to convince people that smog and pollution is bad.  Fine, you win, pollution bad.  If  it'll make you happier its irreversible and will kill us all. 

I'd also add people spread can be bad.  In the 1910's and 20's the government encouraged and offered free land to homesteaders.  People went, they tried to build farms on poor land, ended up scraping off countless tons of topsoil which led to the dust bowl of the late 20's and 30's.  An incredibly destructive happening, dropping a couple of atomic bombs on the area would have been kinder the destruction the home steaders wrought.

At the same time period Japan was also encouraging homesteaders to move to unpopulated areas.  Aikido founder Ueshiba was one those who took the offer and according to stories only his ceaseless hard work and unbreakable spirit kept people alive.  Eventually he had to call it quits.

My point is, its easy to see pollution is bad, its harder to see that people, especially those in hard scrabble areas can also devastate huge areas.  Might be nuclear disaster areas will end up the best cleanest sanctuaries in the long run because they don't have people.

<later addition>

I'd also add that until a country (or individual) claims responsibility for its own problems, they're up shits creek.  Much as you blame America for China's problem, they're screwed if they take the same liberal route.  The solution to there problem is painful, but easy and straight forward.  No more coal plants, and start rolling back the ones you have.  Have better environmental laws and put men and teeth into keeping them.  End the corruption that skirts them.  England did it, we did it. 

You want Chinese to smoke less, also easy.  Ban U.S cigarettes, raise taxes on them steeply, sponsor campagns on the dangers of smoking.  Painful, but hard, but that is what stop blaming the other guy and taking responsibility for yourself is all about.   For people and nations. 

Edited by thelerner

http://inhabitat.com/nano-water-chip-could-make-desalination-affordable-for-everyone/

O.K. so consider nanotechnology for water desalinization.

That is pretty much the only feasible technofix for the fresh water crisis.

The only thing - the water crisis is interwoven with so many other factors.

Things will get interesting.

The main drive in the water crisis now is big corporations buying up water rights and then selling it back to poor people with a huge profit.

So that type of structural distribution of technology does not favor the poor farmers to use fresh water.

you are missing the point. sustainable living cannot be managed with a supply demand based monetary economic system. the technology itself isnt expensive, its the principles of economics that make it so, that are based on making a profit, and not on furthering human potential

remember that how the world runs is someone's idea, to someones advantage, and anothers loss. people accept it because they dont know any better

it is a prison, FOR YOUR MIND ;)

and please dont use the word technofix, because you sound like a caveman :D

• Like 1

Western monocultural farming is the problem.

For example I visited a Berber village in Morocco that relied on humanure composting - used for thousands of years to transform desert into wheat and vegetable crops. They also herded wild sheep.

A good book on this is....400 Centuries of Farming.

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/fertilised-by-human-excrement-1.295358

Western scientists are starting to realize that future farming will have to rely on humanure.

My blogpost referenced new research by a German engineer in China - first converted 40 million farmers in China to humanure fertilizer and biogas and now focused on Beijing - 20 million people creating humanure fertilizer - and the rest of megacities - so hundreds of millions of people.

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/09/recycling-animal-and-human-dung-is-the-key-to-sustainable-farming.html

So this is now called "ecological sanitation" and is promoted by the U.N., etc. It is growing in Sweden and promoted in traditional non-Western countries.

So that combined with agroforestry is the key.

Planting trees is a must to stop soil erosion - China just initiated a huge tree planting program because the erosion killed thousands of people when it caused flooding of the Yellow River.

That is covered in the doc I just watched.

Your reference to nuclear sacrifice areas being better than humans is, of course, absurd.

The key here is to recognize just how serious the ecological crisis is - how cities are parasites on growing food.

So farmers are now selling their water to cities - in India, the U.S. and China - why? Because the water is more valuable than the food.

Things are gonna get real interesting fast - because there is so much denial about ecology.

Dr Duncan Cameron, from the University's Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, said: “We need to break the cycle that has led to many crops requiring the agricultural equivalent of spoon feeding, with chemical fertilisers and industrial irrigation. Whilst seemingly efficient, we are mollycoddling nature and this will lead to substantial yield losses due to pests and diseases.”

Death by China - 25% of particulate emissions in California are from Asia, mainly China - and so costs are cut by U.S. manufacturing in China due to low costs from no environmental regulations being enforced.

Things are changing - but all these factors reinforce each other.

population, pollution, energy use, water crisis.

Energy and population increase exponentially - food increases arithmetically.

So it makes sense that as population increases you feedback the manure into growing food.

The only problem is China is out of land to grow food and so has to rely on importing soy from Brazil and soon it will be wheat from the U.S.

http://grist.org/food/put-a-tree-on-it-can-agroforestry-help-combat-climate-change/

This is good on agroforestry - permaculture

Annuals — i.e. corn, soybeans, and many other vegetables that have to be planted and harvested every year — are labor-intensive and come with steep environmental costs such as erosion, soil degradation, and nutrient runoff. So permaculturists like Shepard see planting fruit and nut trees and other perennials — which only need to be planted once, and then, once mature, continue to produce year after year — as a key to sustainable food systems. His 106-acre farm in southwestern Wisconsin is filled with hazelnuts, chestnuts, pine nuts, currants, berries, apples, and much more.

Shepard calls his approach “restoration agriculture” (that’s also the name of his recently published book), and his hope is to mimic nature as much as possible to produce high-quality crops while restoring the health and fertility of the land.

innersoundqigong you are overworking your yang practice, more yin now ;)

EIM33_VerticalFarming_5.jpg

you are missing the point. sustainable living cannot be managed with a supply demand based monetary economic system. the technology itself isnt expensive, its the principles of economics that make it so, that are based on making a profit, and not on furthering human potential

remember that how the world runs is someone's idea, to someones advantage, and anothers loss. people accept it because they dont know any better

it is a prison, FOR YOUR MIND ;)

and please dont use the word technofix, because you sound like a caveman :D

Actually I wrote a university paper for my environmental economics class called the Incorrect Supply and Demand Model.

So I'm something of an expert on the topic. haha.

You have made a funny wrong assumption about me.

Here is something to consider - something quite radical but also true.

Technology is based on logarithmic mathematics - there is no "pure" math ever since the Greek Miracle of "alogon" for irrational magnitude from Eudoxus.

So the supply and demand model is also an economics based on a linear logarithmic math model.

You want to say - nonlinear feedback of systems theory can solve our problem - this was first promoted in Hazel Henderson's book Politics of the Solar Age.

http://www.context.org/iclib/ic25/hendrson/

Alternatives to Economics is the book's subtitle.

So that is 1990 - what is that now - 25 years ago. haha.

Technology, as based on logarithmic math for mass production, is dependent on "primitive accumulation" - which means that the environment as ecology has to be a built in "externality."

Take the Amazon rainforest - it is being replaced with monocultural soybean farms to feed China's pigs.

There is no supercomputer that can even model the Amazon rainforest - that is how complex ecology is - yet Cargill with USAID - the largest private corporation in the world has no oversight - no real controls - it just works directly with the CIA in secret - the media nor congress can really access Cargill or critique it - and so it is more economical to just replace the Amazon with soybeans.

Total craziness. I know Cargill just committed to no more deforestation for its agricultural practices - good luck on that. haha.

So high tech has no connection with ecological sanity - for example the greatest concentration of superfund sites is in Silicon Valley - high tech central!

So go have your technofix cult move to Silicon Valley and do their high tech magic there. haha.

I could go on - I got arrested protesting Alliant Tech - the largest depleted uranium manufacturer for US. weapons.

So how it works is that 50% of U.S. tax dollars goes to the military and most of that goes to private huge high tech industry.

So the "free market" is covered up and lied about - in fact it is a government corporate partnership that uses the military as a huge subsidy for high tech development. And so the public tax dollar subsidizes the research and development but then the technology is just handed over to the private corporations and then the fraud just continues on there - billions of dollars in fraud.

So what's the result? Bomb the village to save it - that's how "development" works in the U.S. - whether it is genocide in Vietnam, Indochina (Laos, Cambodia) or genocide in Central America (some 250,000 Mayan indians massacreds in the 1980s in Guatemala) or genocide in Iraq (2 million just killed by the sanctions and war) - genocide in Afghanistan (millions killed by sanctions and war).....

And then presto! Time to have "democracy" aka military contracts "develop" those countries. haha. Hilarious.

That's how high tech development works.

Another good book more recent is Environmental Endgame - on economics.

https://www.questia.com/library/120072630/the-environmental-endgame-mainstream-economics

The Environmental Endgame: Mainstream Economics, Ecological Disaster, and Human Survival

Yeah so the basic argument again is use chaos math for nonlinear feedback systems but the problem is that chaos math still relies on logarithmic-based math - aka logistic equations.

On the other hand if you use quantum math and quantum biology - what do you find?

Nature is already way more high tech than anything that can be created by humans. haha.

It's already been proven.

• Like 2