DannyK

Qi gong for powerlifting help request

I lift competitively in the 165 lb class. I am very tight and I started qi gong and zhan zhuang to become more flexible. By accident I felt some small amount of chi discharge down my spine and through my legs while doing squats. I can't replicate this situation. Would one of you that has enough experience with anything similar (possibly an internal martial artist,) suggest some qi gong to boost and direct chi while lifting? I would be very grateful for any help. Just as the internal martial arts are a spiritual path I feel I could turn powerlifting into an internal path if I went about it properly.

Thanks ---Dan

• Like 1

reverse breathing, awesome for squats, leg press, etc - so when I leg press, sled comes down, pulse from dantien sends the sled back. legs, along for the ride :lol:

I have no experience and hence no advice to offer regarding power lifting as an internal path. I would advise you to get into some serious flexibility work however and would recommend Pavel Tsatsoulines DVD's Beyond Stretching and Beyond Stretching The Seminar.

Pavel is a strength athlete and his exercises are geared for that arena - including powerlifting.

Jwing Ming Yang refers to weight training as a kind of hard qigong somewhere. I try simply visualizing the qi flowing through my limbs while lifting.I also like to imagine that I'm actually performing a strike when I'm lifting the weight (with some exercises). And supplement my power training with Taiji and/or Yoga exercises in the same session.