Marblehead

Sorry Folks

My Compaq Presario could go from 0 to 60 in under three seconds ... but only cos I threw it out the window in frustration.

• Like 4

I have never owned a Compacq. Never heard enough good things about them to want one.

The brand is long gone. Dell bought them years ago.

• Like 1

My Compaq Presario could go from 0 to 60 in under three seconds ... but only cos I threw it out the window in frustration.

a car window, I assume

a car window, I assume

upper storey acceleration due to gravity 9.81 ms-2 or whatever.

• Like 1

If talking about the floor directly above the ground-level floor (terminology varies here), we are talking roughly 15 feet, which means about 20 miles per hour (neglecting wind resistance...)

• Like 1

If talking about the floor directly above the ground-level floor (terminology varies here), we are talking roughly 15 feet, which means about 20 miles per hour (neglecting wind resistance...)

upper storey means anything above first floor (which means the one above ground) ... I could have been in a high rise you don't know ... also I could have forcibly thrown it down so you need to add an initial velocity. .... this was the real world not schoolboy physics.

LOL

Give me the boundary conditions and I'll tell you that your laptop broke...

;)

Talking about that reminded me of way back when I first joined the Army and was at school learning a profession.

We were required to be able to copy morse code at 15 words per minute by hand and 25 words per minute with the mill (typewriter with only upper case keys).

At one point the training for this was 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, with headphones on our head. One guy couldn't handle it, tore off his headphones, picked up the mill, rushed to the window and threw the mill out the closed window. Needless to say, he became a bush beater (infantryman).

• Like 1

The brand is long gone. Dell bought them years ago.

Actually HP bought them and used the name in their business machines for a few years until the brand was no longer recognizable. At least it wasn't an eMachines...

Actually HP bought them and used the name in their business machines for a few years until the brand was no longer recognizable. At least it wasn't an eMachines...

Sheesh! I knew that! I had just typed the word "Dell" about a dozen times in a work-related e-mail and it just slipped out.

I used to oversee about a hundred ProLiant servers and nearly 2000 PCs & laptops -- you'd think I would have gotten it straight! Where I am now is a Dell shop.

• Like 1

It happens to the best of us. I give my own first name as another that is also monosyllabic and starts with 'M' at times.

• Like 2

It happens to the best of us. I give my own first name as another that is also monosyllabic and starts with 'M' at times.

Mork?

Sorry, couldn't resist. RIP Robin Williams

• Like 1

Well, I am finished with setting up the new computer. I got the old one working again but a lot of stuff was lost and I am trying to recover as much as I can now. It's late and I need to get to bed.

Yeah... I'd rather use Linux than anything Windows 8.x at the moment. I haven't buggered with the new BIOS shite but it doesn't look too complicated. Can't be as bad as the old floppy diskette BIOS updates turning one's whole motherboard into a paperweight.

I'm still working to get programs recovered or if I can't just reinstall them. I do have the install disks for most of the programs I use and others came from the internet.

Ha! on me. I tried down-loading one freeware program on this new computer and ended up with a bunch of pop-ups that took almost an your to find and remove.

Oh! BTW. I had to stop working with the computers to unplug the A/C drain as I was getting water all over the floor. Still not finished with that but I had to take a break.

I have Win 8.1 on laptop. No touchscreen and 64-bit is a memory eater!

So I'm going to recover my Win 7.

I have Win 8.1 on laptop. No touchscreen and 64-bit is a memory eater!

So I'm going to recover my Win 7.

So far I've not run into that problem. Of course, I don't have many programs installed on this new computer yet and I'm not a "Gamer" so it might be fine for me.

So far I've not run into that problem. Of course, I don't have many programs installed on this new computer yet and I'm not a "Gamer" so it might be fine for me.

If it's a desktop then you'll be fine. They are beasty and yours came designed for Win 8...

Mine's a laptop built for Win7 with "free upgrade" for Win8 (I bought it 2 months prior to release)

Lao Tzu say:

"Why you put big Windows inside small frame? Idiot" :)

If it's a desktop then you'll be fine. They are beasty and yours came designed for Win 8...

Mine's a laptop built for Win7 with "free upgrade" for Win8 (I bought it 2 months prior to release)

Lao Tzu say:

"Why you put big Windows inside small frame? Idiot" :)

Mine is a medium sized tower. I may have to buy some programs that are compatible with Win 8 but I'm not ready to consider that yet. I'll first figure out what I can get installed on it and then consider if I need buy anything else. (And then, if I can get the old computer completely restored I won't have to buy any because I had everything I wanted on the old computer. I'll set it up and just switch chairs when I want to do something that this new one can't.)