idiot_stimpy

Whats in a name?

He butchers families?

You'd think so.

They sold meat and sausages mostly.

Maybe the family slaughtering was a sideline but I suspect the locals might have objected.

Usual thing happened, a supermarket opened up on the bypass so all the small local shops in the town centre eventually shut down for want of customers.

It's all tat and charity shops now.

• Like 1

Whats in a name? A Label?

I have had a few people advise it is better to change this forum name to something different.

So my question is, what is in a name?

When you label yourself as something, do you become that something?

But what were you before you had labelled yourself as such?

Labels are annoying me at the mo. If anything, they make others more judgemental of you.

Not that it should matter, but if one labels themselves Taoist, or anything, it can easily lead other people into thinking you are XYZ...making a generalization before even getting to know you.

Someone asked me the other day "What are your spiritual beliefs? The sound interesting"

I told them I have none. That's the closest thing to the truth I've ever said.

• Like 3

" In my religion we believe that people who give us money will have great good fortune and enjoy a long and very healthy life."

OK that might not be true but it could be profitable.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Maybe we just need to be more precise in our speech/ labels to avoid misunderstandings

To say I am a Taoist really isn't say much.

Kinda like me saying I live in Australia. Good luck finding me :) (generally speaking)

Labels are like a map perhaps, giving an indication of where but itself not the destination?

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

Maybe we just need to be more precise in our speech/ labels to avoid misunderstandings

To say I am a Taoist really isn't say much.

Kinda like me saying I live in Australia. Good luck finding me :) (generally speaking)

Labels are like a map perhaps, giving an indication of where but itself not the destination?

Be precise or as vague as you like,

odds are that no one who doesnt already know isnt going to understand even the general ideas of Tao ,

and a name certainly is not enough to describe what it means to you.

You can save them some discomfort if you just say youre something they think they recognize ( humanist , atheist , Buddhist christian , etc ) :)

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 3

Those Taoist dudes we see in clips on here now and again, usually Taiwanese.

The ones in silly hats and parti-coloured art silk robes banging on gongs whilst standing around in groups and " singing".

Very few on here are that 'sort' of Taoist I'd wager.

There's 'Hat Lad' of course but he's not been on here for ages.

Any westerner who feels the need to dress up like a chorus member from a low rent production of The Mikado as an essential component for their 'spiritual path' .....

IMO, those dudes are fooling nobody but them self.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

What if you're not your name?

Your name was picked up along the way and was given to you which stuck for the time being.

Are people entangled with their own name? Not realizing they existed before their name was given to them.

Interesting post!

Legally, our names are just "characters" belonging to us.

If you never give your name, police can never arrest you hehe.

• Like 1

About changing the forum name, naaaah.

"Tao" and page 1 of google is still useful for people needing a hookup!

• Like 1