Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

Independence Day

.but I would speculate that the world would have continued on as it had at that time. Much different than today!

I disagree. The western industrial revolution began with the Brits and expanded to the continent and the former colonies.

ok, of course it'd be "different" in a few ways. Geopolitically, North America would be sliced up differently, but technologically and economically, the same basic situation we have today would have evolved with or without the US.

Seems to me also that the English today are hell-bent on reunification for some reason.

I disagree. The western industrial revolution began with the Brits and expanded to the continent and the former colonies.

ok, of course it'd be "different" in a few ways. Geopolitically, North America would be sliced up differently, but technologically and economically, the same basic situation we have today would have evolved with or without the US.

Seems to me also that the English today are hell-bent on reunification for some reason.

Reunification of what???

• Like 1

you know.

post-3061-0-42780300-1404756935_thumb.jpg

... my husband and I, would be very pleased to accept back our North American Colonies ... even though the rebels seem to have made a bit of a pig's ear of them.

• Like 2

That's assuming the monarchy was a silk purse to begin with...

They are all in-bred Germans basically.

• Like 1

I find it implausible for any 'thing' to be independent...

But that's a different story. We will read that one tomorrow.

Well, Great Germany reunified, why can't Great Btitian?

• Like 1

Technologically we'd have the same basic situation? Not saying the British or others are incapable of inventions...far from that idea...but the rapid increase in technology we've seen happened long after America's independence. It's hard to say truthfully that we'd be in the same or a similar situation...for all we know, things could have continued on basically as they were at that time.

Technologically we'd have the same basic situation? Not saying the British or others are incapable of inventions...far from that idea...but the rapid increase in technology we've seen happened long after America's independence. It's hard to say truthfully that we'd be in the same or a similar situation...for all we know, things could have continued on basically as they were at that time.

America's technology is all European in origin.

• Like 2

Why?

We have done things differently from the Europeans since the beginning. I mean, what european would think of having a tea party in the Boston Harbor?

And when the Red Coats tried to force themselves on us we hid behind trees and had some really stand-out kind of targets to shoot at.

Europe was all about tradition. The colonists thought European tradition sucked.

We have done things differently from the Europeans since the beginning. I mean, what european would think of having a tea party in the Boston Harbor?

And when the Red Coats tried to force themselves on us we hid behind trees and had some really stand-out kind of targets to shoot at.

Europe was all about tradition. The colonists thought European tradition sucked.

So that's your technology ... hiding behind trees ... well done. Even the ideas behind the Declaration of Independence came from Locke, Rousseau and Voltaire. Come on admit it ... all the americans have invented is the hamburger and the frisbee.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this