nine tailed fox

weight lifting

Yeah. I got too cocky. I think my form was OK, but I just would not let myself fail the rep, and...pushed too hard. Could barely walk out of the gym that day! Snap City, as they say..

Thinking about it, it was about 18 months ago. Something went wrong with the piriformis/sciatic nerve area. Took about 6 months to heal fully. I could've been back in a gym within a few weeks doing other stuff, but I was leaving the area anyway and instead of finding another gym just decided to take a break.

And I've since discovered that calisthenics, yoga etc is just as effective. I never lifted more than 30kg/side on shoulder press at any gym, but now I can do a few handstand pushups (and I weigh around 82kg so that is an improvement, right?). And I'm getting closer to my first one-arm pull-up. The only thing missing is heavy squats & deadlift.... I will get back into it one day.

How are you progressing with it?

Edited by dustybeijing
  • Like 1

Yeah. I got too cocky. I think my form was OK, but I just would not let myself fail the rep, and...pushed too hard. Could barely walk out of the gym that day! Snap City, as they say..

Thinking about it, it was about 18 months ago. Something went wrong with the piriformis/sciatic nerve area. Took about 6 months to heal fully. I could've been back in a gym within a few weeks doing other stuff, but I was leaving the area anyway and instead of finding another gym just decided to take a break.

And I've since discovered that calisthenics, yoga etc is just as effective. I never lifted more than 30kg/side on shoulder press at any gym, but now I can do a few handstand pushups (and I weigh around 82kg so that is an improvement, right?). And I'm getting closer to my first one-arm pull-up. The only thing missing is heavy squats & deadlift.... I will get back into it one day.

How are you progressing with it?

Doing well...rebuilding because I left it a couple of years and just did kung fu and bidy strength so started from scratch with empty bar. On week 8 now...my only plateau so far is overhead press. My nemesis.

But yes, the yoga and bodyweight stuff is all good. Remind me what calisthenics are again? I think I've heard Elliot talk about them but can't remember...

Well, there's probably a more technical definition of calisthenics, but I think it's just a term for when you're using your body and minimal equipment to work out..?

So (hatha) yoga would be included, I guess. Pushups pullups etc, many military drills & martial arts exercises, aerobics, blahblah...

One thing I definitely prefer is pull-ups, chin-ups, and other climbing type stuff, as opposed to using weight machines for the back. I'll never bother with lat pulldowns again!

• Like 1

Well, there's probably a more technical definition of calisthenics, but I think it's just a term for when you're using your body and minimal equipment to work out..?

So (hatha) yoga would be included, I guess. Pushups pullups etc, many military drills & martial arts exercises, aerobics, blahblah...

One thing I definitely prefer is pull-ups, chin-ups, and other climbing type stuff, as opposed to using weight machines for the back. I'll never bother with lat pulldowns again!

Yeah, machines suck! I always say, if I doesn't look practical for real life, what is the point?

• Like 1

Everything in balance. It all depends on your intent.

For health and spiritual development, all exercise is great with good form.

Bad form can cause injury.

John

• Like 1

I increased up to 225 bench by 5 x 5 starting 100 pounds lighter.

But I lift now based on emotional energy. When I suck in someone's anger then my pineal gland registers that as "extra" energy. Instead of getting angry back at them I just go bench press the anger to turn it into muscle. It's amazing how much more strength you have from anger which is really just a liver blockage of too much liver energy.

But Chunyi says that after 45 years old a person can too easily burn out their liver energy from lifting.

So I would say eat 6 eggs a day - organic - since genetic engineered feed will be deadly I think.

But then again - without the emotional motivation I think it gets old fast.

Like the kung fu movies are almost all based on revenge - or righteous anger of some sort.

Warrior becomes a monk but the monastery is trying to train his mind to not be controlled by anger.

Yan Xin details in his book how he charged up a weight lifter and suddenly the dude could lift like 10 times as much - some huge change.

Just look at his master Haidan - this old little dude and he can bust through thick cowhide leather bags with just his fingers and he does one finger head stands.

The power of qi is so way beyond muscle - qigong master Jim Nance told me how he moved a whole van with his hand just using qi - no muscle - pushed the van up a hill.

But yeah bench pressing is a very quick Quick Fire method - fast deep diaphragm breathing for purification - what Arnold called the orgasmic Pump - it turns the generative fluid back into "yin jing" energy - as is known the testosterone levels increase, albeit temporarily.

So in just a minute of 5 reps you can exorcise a lower emotional blockage. That is a very impressive turn around of energy.

• Like 1

why do I feel more of a workout with bodyweight exercises then free weights, even they are heavier?

Nature of the type of exercise...free weight exercises tend to be very compound in nature, so more of your body is being used to do a simple thing. Take squatting for instance. Do 5 of those at 75% of your max. Then do 5 of them bodyweight...it's nothing to do that. Or lets compare bench press with a pushup. With a bench press your back isn't doing much work (despite your entire body being active during the lift from feet to the bar), but with a pushup your back works hard to maintain alignment and to keep your lumbar from extending while your arms doing also doing the work...it's almost an entirely different exercise in terms of what your body has to do, and is more challenging. But then again...do 5 reps at 75% of your max bench, then do 5 pushups, and the pushups will be easier.