manitou

Gods created out of Fear

I see Fear as darkness, and that mankind is struggling in a cosmic sense to find the light. Ever upward, a helix. This is a dynamic we can depend on, even if we can't see the evidence at any given moment. And perhaps that stage of suspended disbelief is present in all of us until we discover the real Us.

Yep youre seeing this clearly , very nicely demonstrated ..

If a man read , the wiseman does such and such ,, well then one would only follow that path if they wanted to be 'wise' in the eyes of the author. Which also would mean that the both the author and the man are making value judgements about themselves and deeming what has merit vs what has not as if it were a thing one could dependably hang a hat on.

Regular Buddhists however are no different from Christians or other religious folks that dont readily see past their own mindset.

Yep the dude attempts to destroy his body that he has a negative image of because he isnt happy with it.

Pokes out his eye since it offends him. The other view of a reader is that he too wishes to 'poke his eye out' because he isnt happy with his body just as it is, but wants to believe that he is so neutral about it that he gets to acquire a new one , and doesnt see the conflict inherent in the idea that throwing oneself off a cliff has intent behind it rather than indifference.

Yeah ,GMP , the story is probably fabrication , but it goes part and parcel with the idea that god creations might be connected to fears and operate on a stage of suspended disbelief. :)

Stosh,

Excuse me but your delusion (value judgments, and mundane reality) is showing... in both posts you were thinking what your motivations would have been, and projecting them onto others... you said a lot about yourself... and you exposed yourself as a liar...

Metta,

Dawg

Edited by dawg

Stosh,

Excuse me but your delusion (value judgments, and mundane reality) is showing... in both posts you were thinking what your motivations would have been, and projecting them onto others... you said a lot about yourself... and you exposed yourself as a liar...

Metta,

Dawg

Go ahead and tell me how Im a liar. I really dont think I told any lies there, and If youre going to correct me about it , you might as well be specific. ( and dont call me a liar and then sign off with a metta it makes you look bad)

Any wonder why I stopped posting in this thread?

Well, except for my smart-assed comment about Jack.

Edited by Marblehead

No, no wonder , about the participation .

It would appear that you dont wish to indulge in the rough and tumble which tends to accompany the bursting of bubbles.

But the thing about Jack was lost on me.

But the thing about Jack was lost on me.

Yeah, that might have been too much of a cultural thing for many to understand.

But true, I don't intentionally go around busting bubbles. That would be a nasty thing for an Anarchist to do. (In fact, that would make me a hypocrite.)

Yeah ,GMP , the story is probably fabrication , but it goes part and parcel with the idea that god creations might be connected to fears and operate on a stage of suspended disbelief. :)

Stosh

Only a person who lies, would imply or accuse someone else of lying, even in jest, because they think that everyone lies... most of the time the truth is much stranger, and a lot more weird than fiction... with your mindset, you put yourself in danger of believing the lies because they sound credible, and dismissing the truth because it sounds incredible...

Your words tell a lot more about you than you realize...

And don't be so uptight... it clouds your mind...

Metta,

Dawg

Edited by dawg
  • Like 1

Stosh

Only a person who lies, would imply or accuse someone else of lying, even in jest, because they think that everyone lies... most of the time the truth is much stranger, and a lot more weird than fiction... with your mindset, you put yourself in danger of believing the lies because they sound credible, and dismissing the truth because it sounds incredible...

Metta,

Dawg

holy dog crap, and with love to?

• Like 1

I see Fear as darkness, and that mankind is struggling in a cosmic sense to find the light. Ever upward, a helix. This is a dynamic we can depend on, even if we can't see the evidence at any given moment. And perhaps that stage of suspended disbelief is present in all of us until we discover the real Us.

darkness is only twisted light, but the untwisting to find such light can be a long, tough row to hoe....

A related tangent if you will:

"The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light" (Luke 11:34-36).

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 2

Stosh

Metta,

Dawg

I do think lies of certain types are common , and I'll admit that there are times when Ive participated ,

but I dont habitually do it,

in part because I find it to be a personal disgrace ,to be pushed into it, or embrace it on my own ,,for a specific reason,

if I tell a lie I'd be knowing it, knowing what I was saying, was not an accurate rendering of 'how things are'

would imply that I was not OK with how things are , or what the ramifications of what IS -would be

In some way It would mean that I couldnt muster sufficient true stuff to back me up.

So the lie indicates a self-imposed verdict of failure on my part.

As far as 'reality being incredible' at times,, I agree , but since mundane , by its definition ,describes that which we really live I think its the important stuff as well as special, even difficult to accept!.

Ive posted multiple times , that Im a fan of the mundane , the esoteric stuff is the BS to me, though it provides interest , but it doesnt strengthen the bones in the way being grounded does.

So if Im no fan of the- praise of self destruction ,so as to search for a misguided pie in the sky spiritual self,, It IS related to my mundaneness.

Yes too our word say a lot about ourself, and yes again that I 'project that which my own sentiments would be onto others , How else could another be understood ? if we didnt do that? But its the alienating ourselves to the fact that we DO indeed share common motivations and habits , is what allows villification of the 'other'. Give both yourself and others a break , defend only when you really have to, but no ,,dont walk on eggshells either.

See here , Is that not mundane !

Edited by Stosh

darkness is only twisted light, but the untwisting to find such light can be a long, tough row to hoe....

A related tangent if you will:

"The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light" (Luke 11:34-36).

Damn. I just plucked my eye out as I started reading this. Unfortunately it wasn't the verse I thought you were going for..... :wacko:

As my first chore as a new Steward, I've been watching this discussion of lies and lying, thinking maybe it needed a degree of moderation of sorts. But you fellows are being so downright civil to each other.....it's wonderful to see the nice degree of respect that you have for each other!

Edited by manitou
  • Like 2

Ill be happy to leave the blessing of being first chore to someone else.

Thank you darling, lol. You're one of the good ones...

• Like 1

...but since mundane , by its definition ,describes that which we really live I think its the important stuff as well as special, even difficult to accept!.

I've posted multiple times , that I"m a fan of the mundane , the esoteric stuff is the BS to me, though it provides interest , but it doesn't strengthen the bones in the way being grounded does...

Stosh,

Beware… be careful about what you cling to… Mundane Reality is the slippery slope down into dissatisfaction and mental suffering… Mundane Reality is the box of conditioning that you are currently trapped inside of… it is how other people and society control you… it is as if you are born and raised in a prison, so that you consider a prison to be a warm and cozy place to live… that living in a prison is normal… and that the esoteric stuff about living outside a prison is BS…

That said… the esoteric stuff is BS, unless you have a high enough level of understanding so that you can understand it and “own it”… if you are serious about “spiritual development, the first thing you should do is accept yourself, just the way you are… and know that you are no better or worse than anyone else… that you are OK… and feel love for yourself, because you cannot love anyone else unless you love yourself… this will open the door to changing yourself…but know that change is not something you do, it is something you allow… the change just happens, and you allow it to happen...

Metta,

Dawg

*****************************************************************************************************

MUNDANE REALITY

Our subconscious mind is running our life!

We have two separate minds that create our conscious mind’s controlling voice. There is the conscious mind that can think freely and create new ideas “outside of the box of our conditioning”. Then there is the subconscious mind, which is basically a super computer loaded with a database of programmed behaviors, that we carried with us from a past life (karma), or that we acquired before we reached the age of six or seven (when we were most gullible and impressionable) and were taught (programmed to believe) what the adults called “reality” (how to think and act)...

The subconscious mind cannot move outside of its fixed programs… It automatically (reflex) reacts to situations with its previously “conditioned” behavior responses; it works without the knowledge or control of the conscious mind. We are usually not even aware that most of our actions are subconscious conditioned reflex responses.

Studies from as far back as the 1970’s, show that our subconscious mind begins to prepare for action just over a third of a second before we consciously decide to act. In other words, even when we ‘think’ that we are consciously deciding to act, it is our subconscious mind that is actually making the decision for us...the subconscious mind is controlling us 95% of the time! Neuroscientists have shown that the conscious mind of a normal person provides 5% or less of their cognitive (conscious) activity during the day, and 5% they say is for the more aware people, many people operate at just 1% consciousness.

It is the subconscious mind which shapes how we live our life… Note that the reason that an enlightened person is said to be “awake”, is because they are no longer in the “hypnotic trance” of conditioned behavior and sleepwalking through their life… they have awakened.

Most of our decisions, actions, emotions and behavior depend on the 95% of brain activity that is usually beyond our conscious awareness, which means that at least 95% of our life is conditioned behavior that comes from our subconscious mind. Our life reflects our subconscious conditioning, because the job of the subconscious mind is to create a “reality” out of our subconscious conditioning. If our subconscious conditioning is negative (caused by negative experiences), our subconscious mind will recreate those negative experiences in our life, again and again.

The voice of our thoughts, is not our voice… it is the voice of all the people who have conditioned us… our thoughts are all the “value judgments” and “control trips” that our family and our culture have programmed us with, to control our behavior… our awareness is clean and pure… the defilements in our mind are these conditioned “value judgment” and “control trip” thoughts that other people have filled our mind with.

Whatever thoughts that our mind keeps returning to, are unresolved issues… If we have unresolved issues, it is usually because we have been conditioned with contradictory behavior… that is to say that we have been conditioned to do something (because it’s “good”), and also conditioned to not do the same thing (because it’s “bad”)… unresolved issues are usually a result of this situation… this situation produces conflict in our mind, so that we like to do something, but we feel guilty about it, and consider ourselves a bad person because we do it… it is a conflict of two conditioned value judgments… to resolve the issue we must make a choice of one or the other… either we don’t do “it”, or we do “it” and let go of our guilt about doing “”it” (assuming that we are not hurting anyone, including ourselves). “Guilt” is nothing but a control trip that someone has put in our mind to control us… we should not be deceived into thinking that it is a “natural response” to the “badness” of our actions.

If we have negative conditioning (caused by negative experiences) in our subconscious mind, 95% of the time we will recreate those negative experiences in our life. Most of the conditioning in our subconscious mind is control trips based on negativity and fear that were put there to control and shape our behavior… we have been conditioned by our parents and other family members, school teachers, religious teachers, friends, enemies, books, newspapers, magazines, radio, television, movies, the internet, the government, etc… For example : if we are repeatedly told that we are “bad”, we are “stupid”, we are “worthless”, we are “incompetent”, we are a “failure”, or we fear what other people are thinking about us, or fear that we will not be accepted loved and respected as we are, fear that we are inferior to other people in some way, etc… these thoughts will keep popping into our mind, and this will cause us to have low self esteem, and a negative opinion of ourselves, and to believe that we are worthless. We then hate ourselves so are unable to accept and love ourselves as we are, and as a result we are unable to love others...

Our subconscious mind is conditioned by a form of hypnosis that we call “education”… we are conditioned (hypnotized) when we voluntarily agree to believe what “respected authority” (parents & family, school teachers, religious teachers, government, media, friends, etc.) “suggest” to us… they suggest to us what things are good or bad, true or false… how we should behave, how we should think, what is “normal”… what is “reality”… so that the 95% of the time that we are controlled by our subconscious mind, we are in a hypnotic trance… simply reacting to stimulus with conditioned reflex behavior… our conscious mind’s “ego” thinks that it is making all of our decisions, that it is in control of our fate, but in reality it is just a puppet of the subconscious mind…

We are taught to be greedy, and to want as much money as we can get… we are taught to chase pleasure and sex… we are taught to get angry when certain things happen to us… we are taught that what we believe is right… and anyone who disagrees with us is wrong… and so on. And as time passes we forget that we have learned these behaviors from other people, because they become automatic responses, so that we think that they are our natural and spontaneous reactions… and so that we become locked into a mundane hypnotic trance state that we consider to be “REALITY”… we are like “zombies”… THIS CONDITIONED MUNDANE REALITY IS THE IGNORANCE AND DELUSION THAT we must see through to liberate our mind… then it is as if we “awaken” from a long sleep, and see the true nature of our existence.

But be warned that Delusion (mundane reality) has one last trick… it will try to convince you that you will “go crazy” if you let go of mundane reality… don’t believe it, you will “go sane”, and you will be free… forever and ever…

Dawg

• Thanks 1

Stosh,

Beware… be careful about what you cling to… Mundane Reality is the slippery slope down into dissatisfaction and mental suffering… Mundane Reality is the box of conditioning that you are currently trapped inside of… it is how other people and society control you… it is as if you are born and raised in a prison, so that you consider a prison to be a warm and cozy place to live… that living in a prison is normal… and that the esoteric stuff about living outside a prison is BS…

That said… the esoteric stuff is BS, unless you have a high enough level of understanding so that you can understand it and “own it”… if you are serious about “spiritual development, the first thing you should do is accept yourself, just the way you are… and know that you are no better or worse than anyone else… that you are OK… and feel love for yourself, because you cannot love anyone else unless you love yourself… this will open the door to changing yourself…but know that change is not something you do, it is something you allow… the change just happens, and you allow it to happen...

Metta,

Dawg

*****************************************************************************************************

MUNDANE REALITY

Our subconscious mind is running our life!

We have two separate minds that create our conscious mind’s controlling voice. There is the conscious mind that can think freely and create new ideas “outside of the box of our conditioning”. Then there is the subconscious mind, which is basically a super computer loaded with a database of programmed behaviors, that we carried with us from a past life (karma), or that we acquired before we reached the age of six or seven (when we were most gullible and impressionable) and were taught (programmed to believe) what the adults called “reality” (how to think and act)...

The subconscious mind cannot move outside of its fixed programs… It automatically (reflex) reacts to situations with its previously “conditioned” behavior responses; it works without the knowledge or control of the conscious mind. We are usually not even aware that most of our actions are subconscious conditioned reflex responses.

Studies from as far back as the 1970’s, show that our subconscious mind begins to prepare for action just over a third of a second before we consciously decide to act. In other words, even when we ‘think’ that we are consciously deciding to act, it is our subconscious mind that is actually making the decision for us...the subconscious mind is controlling us 95% of the time! Neuroscientists have shown that the conscious mind of a normal person provides 5% or less of their cognitive (conscious) activity during the day, and 5% they say is for the more aware people, many people operate at just 1% consciousness.

It is the subconscious mind which shapes how we live our life… Note that the reason that an enlightened person is said to be “awake”, is because they are no longer in the “hypnotic trance” of conditioned behavior and sleepwalking through their life… they have awakened.

Most of our decisions, actions, emotions and behavior depend on the 95% of brain activity that is usually beyond our conscious awareness, which means that at least 95% of our life is conditioned behavior that comes from our subconscious mind. Our life reflects our subconscious conditioning, because the job of the subconscious mind is to create a “reality” out of our subconscious conditioning. If our subconscious conditioning is negative (caused by negative experiences), our subconscious mind will recreate those negative experiences in our life, again and again.

The voice of our thoughts, is not our voice… it is the voice of all the people who have conditioned us… our thoughts are all the “value judgments” and “control trips” that our family and our culture have programmed us with, to control our behavior… our awareness is clean and pure… the defilements in our mind are these conditioned “value judgment” and “control trip” thoughts that other people have filled our mind with.

Whatever thoughts that our mind keeps returning to, are unresolved issues… If we have unresolved issues, it is usually because we have been conditioned with contradictory behavior… that is to say that we have been conditioned to do something (because it’s “good”), and also conditioned to not do the same thing (because it’s “bad”)… unresolved issues are usually a result of this situation… this situation produces conflict in our mind, so that we like to do something, but we feel guilty about it, and consider ourselves a bad person because we do it… it is a conflict of two conditioned value judgments… to resolve the issue we must make a choice of one or the other… either we don’t do “it”, or we do “it” and let go of our guilt about doing “”it” (assuming that we are not hurting anyone, including ourselves). “Guilt” is nothing but a control trip that someone has put in our mind to control us… we should not be deceived into thinking that it is a “natural response” to the “badness” of our actions.

If we have negative conditioning (caused by negative experiences) in our subconscious mind, 95% of the time we will recreate those negative experiences in our life. Most of the conditioning in our subconscious mind is control trips based on negativity and fear that were put there to control and shape our behavior… we have been conditioned by our parents and other family members, school teachers, religious teachers, friends, enemies, books, newspapers, magazines, radio, television, movies, the internet, the government, etc… For example : if we are repeatedly told that we are “bad”, we are “stupid”, we are “worthless”, we are “incompetent”, we are a “failure”, or we fear what other people are thinking about us, or fear that we will not be accepted loved and respected as we are, fear that we are inferior to other people in some way, etc… these thoughts will keep popping into our mind, and this will cause us to have low self esteem, and a negative opinion of ourselves, and to believe that we are worthless. We then hate ourselves so are unable to accept and love ourselves as we are, and as a result we are unable to love others...

Our subconscious mind is conditioned by a form of hypnosis that we call “education”… we are conditioned (hypnotized) when we voluntarily agree to believe what “respected authority” (parents & family, school teachers, religious teachers, government, media, friends, etc.) “suggest” to us… they suggest to us what things are good or bad, true or false… how we should behave, how we should think, what is “normal”… what is “reality”… so that the 95% of the time that we are controlled by our subconscious mind, we are in a hypnotic trance… simply reacting to stimulus with conditioned reflex behavior… our conscious mind’s “ego” thinks that it is making all of our decisions, that it is in control of our fate, but in reality it is just a puppet of the subconscious mind…

We are taught to be greedy, and to want as much money as we can get… we are taught to chase pleasure and sex… we are taught to get angry when certain things happen to us… we are taught that what we believe is right… and anyone who disagrees with us is wrong… and so on. And as time passes we forget that we have learned these behaviors from other people, because they become automatic responses, so that we think that they are our natural and spontaneous reactions… and so that we become locked into a mundane hypnotic trance state that we consider to be “REALITY”… we are like “zombies”… THIS CONDITIONED MUNDANE REALITY IS THE IGNORANCE AND DELUSION THAT we must see through to liberate our mind… then it is as if we “awaken” from a long sleep, and see the true nature of our existence.

But be warned that Delusion (mundane reality) has one last trick… it will try to convince you that you will “go crazy” if you let go of mundane reality… don’t believe it, you will “go sane”, and you will be free… forever and ever…

Dawg

Ok Ill be careful what I cling to , .. if I cling to anything .. but theres a lot of presupposition in that post there, and THAT my friend, is also a 'clingy' thing. ( because presuppositions ,cause predispositions , and those there remove us from the present to the degree that they do affect us at all,, is that not a fact? )

Edited by Stosh

A boomerang? What ? ..something I said will come back to haunt me?

Well that wouldnt be the first time , and it aint going to be the last .

Dont sweat boomerangs, have you ever thrown one ? its hard as heck to get them to actually come back to you,

yeah they curve , but that tends to be off into the wild blue yonder.

Stosh,

Relax, the boomerang wasn't aimed at you... I saw it and it made me laugh... so I posted it...

Dawg

QUOTATIONS

For Your Entertainment

"It was the experience of mystery -- even if mixed with fear -- that engendered religion."

- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

"I do not consider it an insult, but rather a compliment to be called an agnostic. I do not pretend to know where many ignorant men are sure -- that is all that agnosticism means."

- Clarence Darrow, Scopes trial, 1925.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

- Sir Stephen Henry Roberts (1901-1971)

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."

- Voltaire (1694-1778)

"God, please save me from your followers!"

- Bumper Sticker

"I would have made a good Pope."

- Richard M. Nixon (1913-1994)

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."

- Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented."

- Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)

“Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"

- H. M. Warner (1881-1958), founder of Warner Brothers, in 1927

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."

- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."

- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."

- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

"If you were plowing a field, which would you rather use? Two strong oxen, or 1024 chickens?"

- Seymour Cray (1925-1996), father of supercomputing

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."

- Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

"Denial ain't just a river in Egypt."

- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."

- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)

"I choose a block of marble and chop off whatever I don't need."

- Francois-Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), when asked how he managed to make his remarkable statues

"His ignorance is encyclopedic"

- Abba Eban (1915-2002)

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."

- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."

- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."

- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

“Suppose you were an idiot, and also suppose you were a member of Congress… But I repeat myself”. - Mark Twain

“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” - Lao Tzu

“you are not a drop in the ocean, you are the entire ocean in a drop”. - Anon

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy is when men are afraid of the light.” - Plato

“Looking for consciousness in the brain, is like looking inside a radio for the announcer.” -Nissim Haramein

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sail. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

"Women might be able to fake orgasms. But men can fake a whole relationship."

- Sharon Stone

"God gave men both a penis and a brain, but unfortunately not enough blood supply to run both at the same time."

- Robin Williams

No clinging here. Just swinging from tree to tree picking of the fruits.

That made me chuckle for some reason . Thanks.

• Like 2