TheExaltedRonin

What are daoists supposed to do with thoughts according to Lao Tzu?

:) Thank you, Steve (and MH too)... true gentlemen, both.

What you said is the ultimate/ultimate fruition ;) ... when i wrote the above, i was approaching more from the angle of relative/ultimate, i think you know where i'm coming from with this afterthought.

Most certainly… I knew you knew… as it were…

:)

A teacher (who wrote quite a few books i like) mentioned more than once that we do not really have to direct attention to the ultimate realizations; take good care of all the relative aspects of practice, he asserted, and the ultimate will manifest naturally, in due course ~ this, im thinking, is also another helpful approach in the uncovering process of Wu Wei, in addition to the excellent point you mentioned earlier.

Wonderful advice… when the little demon that lives behind my eyes begins to sew doubts and aspirations and I'm present enough to notice, the simple reminder above - "take good care of all the relative aspects of practice" is all one can ever do while patiently awaiting "the ultimate [to] manifest naturally, in due course~" Very nicely put. Something like that is slowly becoming my daily mantra….

:D

• Like 1

Great analyzation by the way. :)

But when crossing a frozen stream that still doesn't indicate mindfulness. that is simply acting-being cautious.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what mindfulness would be in that situation.

Please excuse my late response

I've added the following additional comments and interpretation to my translation:

06 Careful, calm (豫, at ease) like, in winter, crossing a stream

When crossing a frozen stream, one is fully aware of the slightest changes that could indicate a change. Listening to the ice, feeling the wind which might push one in the wrong direction, watching the ice, smelling for dampness. All the while, in the midst of this chaos of sense activity, one remains calm so as not to disturb the balance, and to remain aware of the slightest perceptible changes.

07 Similarly (!) like fearing neighbours from four directions

Again, always prepared for change, and aware of changes around them.

08 Courteous! They are like welcomed travellers

Mindfulness towards others, not imposing will, putting others first. As mentioned, mindfulness is also internal. Observing the arising, presence, declining, and cessation of emotions. What causes these emotions to happen more than the interactions we have with others?

09 Similarly! Like ice about to disperse

Like ice about to disperse, still yet perpetually in the midst of change. To flow in the changes requires acute, subtle awareness

10 Candid and sincere! plain as wood!

Unpredictable [chaotic like water], ha ha! Plain as wood!

They are courteous and mindful of others, but they are utterly sincere and real. Knowledge of self is an essential by-product of mindfulness.

11 open! – are they like a valley,

[Extensive, wide, broad, empty.. Open…]

Open, accepting. The smell of spring wafts up in their face and they inhale it. The healing energy of the mountain envelopes them and they welcome it to join them on their travels. The mountain water lights up their electrodes and they indulge in it.

There are many other connotations of this saying, but the above is one part of them.

12mixing, blending, mingling, disorderly, random! like clouded water

Lively, vitality, joyful, youthfulness of Spring, they are like clouded water

They are not simply dead wood sliding over the frozen water. Their energy is stirring. Awake!

13 Who can [be like this] muddy [water], while also calm, pure, and dignified?

Dignified, stately ! He is like washing muddiness of the water, thereby peaceful, calm and composed, dignified, clear and pure[like blue-green water under the moon light/life].

Mindful internally and outwardly, they are aware of the slightest change (like fearing neighbors all around them), responsive to the slightest change, constantly flowing (dispersing like ice), they are lively! awake!, yet peaceful, calm, composed, dignified, clear, and pure.

14 Who can be peaceful, persisting in actions with calm dignity and life/vitality?

Who can be amidst tumultuous change, maintaining the presence of mind of one calmly walking over frozen streams, fully aware, fully alive, fully vital, courteous, and dignified?

15 Protect the Way by not seeking fullness

葆 Preserve this Dao (missing text□□ 者不) which does not 欲need to be full

This speaks to desire. Not being aware of ones' desires is like a sleeping democratic populace allowing their leaders to become dictators.

16 It is by not trying to be full

It is by observing desires before they take over one's will

17 Therefore (one) can 蔽conceal (power) and not 新begin to 成end

是Indeed, 以this way (one) can be 敝worn out and yet not 成finished

that one can have full power over ones' self and not be led to the disposal of their power, acting out of weakness under their desires.

• Like 1

:) Thank you, Steve (and MH too)... true gentlemen, both.

Yea!!! Steve and I have been placed into the same basket. I'll bet Steve will be the first to jump out. Hehehe.

• Like 1

Think them.

What else can you do with thoughts?

with respect to Lao Tzu, this is my answer, not necessarily his.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1