adept

What Happened To Gerard ?

People's karmic propensity with this forum will dissipate over time, like clouds vanishing into space ~ yet when clouds form, the space gains nothing, and when gone, space does not lose anything. Be spacious and generous, open and yielding, then there is no need to leave one place to seek another. Ultimately, its where the mind is, and the realization of its nature that counts most. Stillness means more than just being unmoving or steadfast, or empty mind free of all thoughts... it means being natural to what arises and ceases without grasping/aversion.... when the habit of responding with complete openness like the sky-space is formed, stillness penetrates easefully. One does not need to withdraw physically in order to access this mode of being.

Given due consideration, it can be said that the cultivation of spirit can be swiftly engaged when there are more perceived hindrances. If the environment is completely stress-free, there could also be complications... laziness, stupor, apathy, arrogance, irritability when space is encroached upon, impatience at the seeming curiosity of occasional visitors... these are some of the possible reactions when conditions become temporarily very ideal in one's life.

You are right, Mal. People shouldn't rely too much on written sources even if the writer is the Buddha. :) But even Buddhist had trouble understanding his mental perfection, hence Mahayana was developed.

When I first read Opening the Dragon Gate it literally changed my life, I knew this was my lifelong path and main goal, everything else was secondary...but little I knew about the depth of the teachings imparted to Wang Liping until I started to experience them personally. Then I realised the importance of DEDICATED PRACTICE. And dedicated means cutting off or seriously limiting sensory stimuli (relationships, sex, full-time work, etc.).

When I first read (Opening the Dragon Gate):

"As long as the human mind is not still and quiet, there will be thoughts of desire remaining, which creates tremendous obstacles to the cultivation of refinement." (p.20)

Ah, OK well this is very important, but I still had a lot of desire in me (was dating women back then and enjoyed going to clubs and buying clothes and material things), so this words didn't remain with me for too long because I DIDN'T EXPERIENCE THEM AS A RESULT OF PERSONAL CULTIVATION.

"Inner and external exercises, at their most advanced, both make an issue of subtlety and refinement." (p. 32).

This is probably one of the single most important attainments for any spiritual seeker.

But when I first read that sentence I had no idea about its meaning.

In 2011 is when I first understood (as a result of Bagua practice) the meaning of subtlety and refinement after seeing this lady in front of me...how messed up was her entire wood energetic structure (wood as in five element theory) and her strong craving for material desire (she was stuck in the low chakras).

Seeing things as they really are as a result of the "luminous mind." This is very powerful stuff and I believe is the main trait of someone who has attained or is close to attaining stream entry/sotapanna. Buddhists talk about the ego, removing doubt and clinging to rites and rituals...IMO this is too simplistic, except the ego part, which is more realistic though (but not easily attainable either).

But there is more to that and when I first experience it I thought I was going mad...seeing faces in trees, seeing various spiritual beings in broad daylight during practice, seeing the true faces (karmic evolution) of ordinary humans which is displayed on everyone's face like a map, being able to see the karma of any beings, etc. I also believe this is why some seekers can't handle living in society any longer, as the experience can be traumatic...you develop a very strong sense of compassion as a result and it can be daunting...I nearly got into trouble with children because of it (preparing a note to parents offering TCM advice as I could clearly see the child's health condition crystal clear and a a result the parents called alarmed to the school enquiring about that teacher that was providing medical advice, that school never called me again for work and I got a warning from the deputy principal).

Life in society becomes increasingly difficult once you reach the first of the four stages of enligthenment.

But again if you read all these words I am writing here can be amusing and fascinating to read...unless you experience them and when that happens it will change your life forever, trust me. :)

"Everything in the triple world of heaven, earth, humanity is a partner in cultivation in the process of realizing the Way -sun, moon, stars, and plants; mountains and rivers, flowers, plants and trees; birds and beasts; wind, rain, thunder, and lightning; heat and cold; spring, summer, fall, and winter; east, west, south, and north. Everything contains creation and evolution; everything conceals subtleties."

No idea about these wise and deep words when I first read p. 40 of that book. Today, I practice according to this principle and seek the best times and places in order to maximise results. I have seen the Bagua arrangement in spider webs, I have even seen the yin and yang and also the bagua engraved on a temple floor in one of the God realms and then approached by Ganesha and Hanuman the Monkey God who stated: so you are practicing the Dharma, very good, keep going, we are aware of the state of delusion humanity is facing currently facing. Yes these divine beings and very wise and magnificent and each of us have access to those realms as they are located in the upper chakras, once your third eye is opened and bubbling vigorously. It was one of the most fascinating visions I have experienced in meditation so far because I didn't know those realms were also in possesion of this knowledge...but as the Vedas state As above, so below, so no longer surprised.

How can an adept live normally in society once he opens up the entire Universe we all have within...how about enlightenment? Going back to a 9-5 job? Did the last Buddha do that?

You simply can't.

Keep practicising hard as Wang Liping did in the book...no one can take the fruits of your practice away from you: a car, a job, money and a wife come and go easily, they are all impermanent. IMO, it is better striving for higher and more noble goals.

Wowzas!! :o That is amazing...!!

And by "first of the four stages of enlightenment," do you mean the I AM unity conciousness?

I can very much relate to Gerard's experiences and sentiments here.

But there is more to that and when I first experience it I thought I was going mad...seeing faces in trees, seeing various spiritual beings in broad daylight during practice, seeing the true faces (karmic evolution) of ordinary humans which is displayed on everyone's face like a map, being able to see the karma of any beings, etc. I also believe this is why some seekers can't handle living in society any longer, as the experience can be traumatic...you develop a very strong sense of compassion as a result and it can be daunting.

That reminds me strongly of some of the experiences I had after my event.

Except I didn't think I was going mad.

It's just that everyone else did.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell

Life in society becomes increasingly difficult once you reach the first of the four stages of enligthenment.

But again if you read all these words I am writing here can be amusing and fascinating to read...unless you experience them and when that happens it will change your life forever, trust me. :)

At which stage of "enlightenment" does spell checking kick in? :P

Anyways, the renunciate vs householder debate is incredibly ancient, and does not have any absolute or universal resolution. People are different, ways are different. Some people do not have the strength to sustain gnosis while living within society. Some do. In between, there are many who are up for the challenge and will have to work at it.

Ive had experiences of telekinesis, telepathy, control of the weather and wind patterns, waking astral projection, direct perception of energy fields, have watched the origin of existence itself becoming manifest, and have had wordless conversations with a fair number of highly evolved non-human entities. This is not "special" - and ideas like that are the last direction you want to go when stuff like that starts happening. If I were you, I wouldnt get caught up with ideas about the "four stages of enlightenment" as some kind of prize medal or status symbol - but perhaps this is exactly the reason you wish to to leave society to begin with.

In many ways, working within society is like weight training for the path. It is an added resistance - it can be used to beneficial effect, or it can be used to break you in half. You start slowly and build it up. It is the only way to gain facility with certain capabilities, and also ensures that continuity can be maintained. If you cannot sustain your practice when surrounded by the distractions of society, what use is your practice to begin with? Isolation is an artificial contrivance - not a living reality.

In the larger picture, there is no escape from communion (and community) - even and especially in more "advanced" realms.

IMO, it is better striving for higher and more noble goals.

This kind of view is a distinct hindrance, but a very common burden for many on the path. It is best overcome as quickly as possible, as it tends to cause petrifaction. Good luck with your journey.

I can very much relate to Gerard's experiences and sentiments here.

That reminds me strongly of some of the experiences I had after my event.

Except I didn't think I was going mad.

It's just that everyone else did.

Madness is closely related to non-ordinary functions of the mind, because it is one - although it generally tends towards limitations of capabilities rather than expansion of them. However, sometimes there is overlap, and sometimes its impossible to define the boundaries to begin with due to the extent of suffusion in the unknown.

• Like 2