Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

for moderators

How about rather then sending insulting posts (that could be a pm) directed towards individuals to the pit, you just enforce a no insult policy and delete them...

p.s. please also move this to the pit (or delete it :)).

Threads and posts are never actually deleted on here. Once in a very rare while one might be hidden, but we don't delete stuff. I'm sure you can imagine how that might not go over well at all if people's posts started vanishing...

I'll let an actually mod reply further though :>.

How about rather then sending insulting posts (that could be a pm) directed towards individuals to the pit, you just enforce a no insult policy and delete them...

Two basic reasons:

1. As part of TTBs Foundation principles,

TTBs has an underlying ethic of valuing the communication of each person.

An underlying foundation of an open forum is that members get to speak, and that their communication is treated (to a very far extent) "as their's". Members get, to a large extent, control over their own communication. Without that, a forum couldn't exist. Now, that's not an absolute law... when it comes down to it, the board owner could throw a switch and this whole board could go *poof*. There are limits, we do delete some extreme things. If we deleted more frequently, people would (rightly) rebel; it'd be chaos and destroy the fundamental of TTBs being "a place to speak".

2. Historical, we'd lose the ability to review what we'd deleted.

• Like 1

There is a fourth option to deleting or hiding or leaving...

If people run on about a really separate issue, break those posts into a new thread. I can't imagine this board lacks that ability.

I understand what Trunk is saying about this, but there is no communication without the first thread; The original poster communicating a thought. IMO, a priority goes to the OP for this very basic reason. No OP, No threads.

And it is true that deleted threads are lost; but they can be hidden for historical review...

This issue was discussed by Concierge before, and Steve, as a result of the discussion, opened a thread in the Pit, for dumping insults and off topic nonsense. A Dross thread. Maybe it should be made a sticky for ease of reference.

The discussion and decision about this is in the concierge area.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/22448-wisdom-of-thetao-bums-sages/?hl=dross#entry320111

above is a link to the thread.. 'wisdom of the taobums sages"

I took a look... thanks.

and that seems more about splitting out to the pit... I wasn't thinking of the pit but simply splitting out to another thread in the same forum area. Let that conversation occur as those folks want.

I do understand when postings get split off to the pit but I was thinking more of the earlier stage when it is simply off-topic and not yet a pissing contest.

Sign in to follow this