Taomeow

The riddle of the sphinx

So ... who did the vandalism to the Lion's head ... it would have had to have been someone at least as 'outrageous' as Ramses II ... some distant ancestor perhaps?

So ... who did the vandalism to the Lion's head ... it would have had to have been someone at least as 'outrageous' as Ramses II ... some distant ancestor perhaps?

I heard Napolean's French army used it for target practice

Edited by Jetsun

Or to bind the old powers to the new ... like Christian churches on pagan grounds ... but often the old power reasserts itself in some way ... so it is not lost but perhaps hidden.

A great deal of the churches around my area of the country were built on top of Celtic places of power, you can tell because the Yew trees are still there which are usually older than the churches, so if you want to pay full respect then acknowledge the Yew tree as well as the church altar. Some of them tried to bind the old powers as they often have a carving to the Green Man inside somewhere to honour the nature spirits of the place.

• Like 3

See here: http://www.napoleon-series.org/faq/c_sphinx.html

Although popular legend blames Napoleon and his troops during the French campaign in Egypt (1798-1801) for having shot the nose off the Great Sphinx, in fact this story just isn't true.

A great deal of the churches around my area of the country were built on top of Celtic places of power, you can tell because the Yew trees are still there which are usually older than the churches, so if you want to pay full respect then acknowledge the Yew tree as well as the church altar. Some of them tried to bind the old powers as they often have a carving to the Green Man inside somewhere to honour the nature spirits of the place.

and sheelah-na-gig over the doorway.

tq9h.jpg

biy5.jpg

my34.jpg

• Like 2

tq9h.jpg

biy5.jpg

my34.jpg

That's strange, I was thinking about posting about that exact green man and doing post on Rosslyn Chapel just now :blink: :ph34r:

, it is such a fascinating place with so much to talk about . The thing about that Green man there is that it is so prominent and looks positively vicious and dangerous whereas in a lot of other churches they seem to have hidden it away a bit more and made it look a lot friendlier. The story about that pillar is fascinating too, but probably for another thread.

And I heard that was rubbish ... they had a team of savant recorders with them searching for and respecting ancient knowledge. In any case I don't mean the 'blowing of (off) the nose, I mean shaping the lion (?) head down to an out of proportion pin head.

And as I said before ; out of proportion ? ... in Old Kingdom ?????

so, whats the latest on under the Sphinx ... if I remember Zahwi was cranky and di not want to allow further exploration ... why the F not ???

Then, I guess the s hit the fan in Egypt and has been splattering ever since ?