Sign in to follow this  
mat black

MSG

So is this topic OK Sean?

I was wondering if i could even bring up this topic, thinking 'would it warrent taoist discussion'?

But, i think (and hope) the definitions of what is 'taoist' are broad enough to encompass this topic.

If the great masters say that the tao can't be defined, then I suppose an MSG discussion is valid?

Yeah, I think it's great here. Anything related to cultivation, health, self-help, evolution, consciousness, meditation, religion, mysticism, magick, even cool science, etc. Nutrition fits fine. One of the longest running threads in Taoist Discussion, not sure if you were part of that, was on choosing a deodorant. :lol: That might be pushing it. The only things I really move to Off Topic these days are overtly political threads I perceive as lacking a spiritual context and off topic humor stuff, like funny Youtube videos.

Sean

Sean: "One of the longest running threads in Taoist Discussion, not sure if you were part of that, was on choosing a deodorant. "

hmm maybe I should've been :unsure: sniff sniff......na it's ok.

Thanx permiting this discussion, and so, if I may, here's another VERY good article about MSG/aspartame

http://www.dr-jo-md.com/excitotoxins.html

Here's a quote from it:

"Also, some of us are more sensitive to the effects of ingested toxins than others. I call us the "canaries", since we exhibit the adverse effects of these toxins more quickly than others do. So we can warn the rest of society to avoid these poisons............ Avoid excitotoxins like the plague even if you do not feel the adverse effects immediately after ingestion. "

best, canary

Edited by mat black

I'm not into politics per se, for me, it's too emotive and based on divisive mental funtioning.

But if politics are being used to deliberately decieve the populace regarding food or other essential facets of living, then i think we at least need to be made aware of it.

Excellent point. It's like in personal relationships, it's good to become aware of any dynamics that we're playing into unconsciously, and it doesn't further consciousness to just walk away from a bad relationship without understanding.

Great book about how nutrition has become "politically correct" is Sally Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions.

Another pertinent article my news reader just brought up this morning! -

The link between MSG and obesity

-Karen

Well, it's a big issue and would take me some time to go into all the angles...In order to really explore the issue of medical journals and the validity of studies, you have to look at who's funding the studies, who's deciding what articles to accept and on what criteria, how the studies are set up, what pre-determined agenda they're trying to prove (which influences the outcome), how the statistics can be manipulated to prove whatever they're looking for... just to name a few :).

Agreed, the validity of the scientific process is a very large topic that would deserve its own seperate thread and certainly I am not an expert on it. I would like to say in response to your article (which was a good read) that peer review is not considered to be perfect by any means, but it is not the only mechanism for self-correction that science employs. Science emphasizes the ability to reproduce its results independently and consistently. A single study on a topic would not constitute consensus, although journalists seem to make this mistake all the time.

It can sometimes take a while for consensus to be achieved, and after that it can take even longer for our governing bodies to recognize it and take action. Global warming is a good example, and certainly politicians who didn't want to face the truth attempted to hand-select studies which backed their views, but eventually consensus prevailed. Now even the current administration admits there is a problem even if they don't seem to want to take any significant action on it. Don't give up on the scientific process. It is flawed, like any human endeavour, but its capacity for self-correction makes it one of the more reliable institutions we've ever invented.

Hi Tao Parrot,

I'd agree that scientific process is valuable, but who controls that process is the key. I don't think that institutionalizing science is necessary or that it produces the best results. But that's a whole 'nother discussion that could take a lot of time to construct - to define what we mean by science, for starters ;)

Cheers,

Karen

I'd agree that scientific process is valuable, but who controls that process is the key.

Karen,

Although individual studies are sometimes manipulated, I don't think science itself is under anyone's control. It's very lack of central authority makes that difficult.

I have a feeling we're going to debate the validity of various studies on other posts too, but I suspect it's not of general interest to the readers of this forum. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

There is actually an article in JAMA talking about the limitations of the peer review system.

Actually a friend of mine--who is a scientist--worked in a lab which he said could only publish in a couple of journals. One of the review committee was in a competing lab. Although they couldn't prove it was this person, their papers were nitpicked and their submissions and publishing were slowed down significantly. I think it can be more about politics than science.

One example he gave when discussing this was the guy who did pioneering research on folate. The guy had trouble getting lab time for 35 years before he was vindicated l because his findings did not square with what peer review thought should happen.

I have a feeling we're going to debate the validity of various studies on other posts too, but I suspect it's not of general interest to the readers of this forum. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

I think we're pretty safe to allow the conversations to evolve naturally :). I'm not interested in debate, because I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about anything, just responding to what's of mutual interest. Otherwise it's no fun anymore. I'm all about fun :lol:

Sean has a cool place here, so I pop in from time to time. Mostly I don't have much time between full-time school and consulting, and sometimes a quick note about MSG turns into a philosophical discussion and I have to be brief :).

Cheers,

Karen

Funny MSG is allowed to be put in our food, yet but w/ the latest policies being put into place, soon (2-3 years?) we'll have to get a prescription for Vitamin C.

Spectrum

I think we're pretty safe to allow the conversations to evolve naturally :). I'm not interested in debate, because I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about anything, just responding to what's of mutual interest. Otherwise it's no fun anymore. I'm all about fun :lol:

Whew! I'm glad to leave the debating to those who enjoy it. I just want to give and get feedback on taoism.

Funny MSG is allowed to be put in our food, yet but w/ the latest policies being put into place, soon (2-3

years?) we'll have to get a prescription for Vitamin C.

Time to start dowsing our oranges to enhance the concentration levels and potency of their vitamin C!

And dowse our bodies, too, to train them to both preserve vitamin C longer and to utilize it better. :D

Sign in to follow this