Sign in to follow this  
DeadDragon

Communal living

I was growing food for sustenance at one point a few years ago, but was also growing cannabis for personal use, and to make a little money for a water tank, a beater truck, just some simple tools to survive.

Anyway I remember looking at the cannabis amongst everything else I was growing and realized that it would have pulled the whole thing togeather if it were legal to grow, not as a cash crop but as a sustenance crop.

The issue with growing food for sustenance is that it can be difficult to figure out what to grow to be healthy and survive, like all the basics. Its a lot easier if you have live stock, a few chickens make a few eggs everyday and can be used as a meat source obviously, but growing the right plants for a surplus of complete/balanced meals without meat takes some thinking.

Most farmers buy all if not most of their animal feed.

Thats when it dawned on me about the caannabis. Looking at plants that were going to produce upto 2lbs of dried and trimmed sensimillia, I realized that each of these plants would produce 5lbs of some of them most nutritious grain on the planet, in what ammounts to about 5square feet of growing area. It takes about 100squarefeet to produce 10lbs of rice, and rice is an inferior grain.

Basicly off 20 full size ganja plants, you could have 100 lbs of highly nutritious organic grain. Thats alot of nutrition. 40 plants and you have enough food for a family and all the homegrown animal feed you would need for quite a few chickens.

This was years ago, around the time I started learning about Korean natural farming. So I wasn't even thinking of it in those terms, but in those terms it would make a massive ammount of animal feed, because with NF animal husbandry, wild plants/chopped grass make up 20 percent of the animal feed, plus you could grow worms and grubs for chickens and pigsto supplement their grain feed in the same grow space you could plant rice in between the pot plants, along with flax or a legume, so in the same exact grow space you've got a multigrained patch that produces all the complete protien you could use plus more.

I agree with you deaddragon about not approaching it from the Tao angle. Although I do consider myself a self styled Taoist, I would be suprised if my philosophy lined up to the actual religions to which the title is attributed.

I live in Norther California already but am moving to Siskiyou county up at the Oregon border in a few days. Im meeting up with the person who I've been talking about this stuff with for about 3 years now and her and i are going to try to start something. This will be the begining, almost like an antichamber before we really enter into it which will probably be a couple of years.

The thing were going to do now, is basicly start farming on this bit of land we trying to procure that has some structures on it and is ON grid...Various things about the property make me think its not the right space, for one thing its owned by a landlord who we will have to be working for to pay rent, the other thing is that although it is in the country in an already sparsely populated region, its a part of a community with neighbors etc. Im sure they are fine people but for my vision it needs to be off grid, surrounded or backed by wilderness and the rental entagnglement can not be an issue, so it either needs to be owned or subsidized some how.

Siskiyou county or Del Norte is where I see my vision unfolding so this is a step towards it. We can make some money build a surplus of essential supplies, possably meet others to become involved and also build up an arsenol of live plants and livestock that are suitable for the climate there, so as soon as we set up we have plants, two year old fruit trees etc to get right at it.

Last night I watched TV wich I dont normally do and watched the news which I do even less and all the sudden there was a blurb about a Nor Cal county that was planning on suceeding from the state of california to form the state of Jefferson.

It was Siskiyou county they were talking about. Appearently all the county heads are sick of getting ignored by sacramento and having to do with water rights and surely some other stuff too.

I shut the TV off right after that. I found it encouraging and practical, not at all selfesh, its just that if all you are is used by the sytem and it doesnt provide what it offers, only takes and takes, then it is wise to breakaway so that you can be the best you can be, to offer what you have and to fullfill the needs of your people.

If your potential is supressed, and you want to give your greatness, not just be used for this or that what elde do you do.

Its the Amercian spirit to say you are not a tool of an oppressive machine, to break away and start something great. That is literally the foundation of this country, its how we became a nation.

Edited by ion

For anyone in North America who is serious about this idea, I would recommend getting a complete set of The Foxfire Books and reading them cover to cover. That would be a good starting point...

;)

• Like 1

That does seem pretty interesting, the new earth project. You're right, all sorts of people with their own ideas on how things should be done. I don't know if I agree with their methods. They claim they wish to end voluntary servitude...yet their supplies for building such a community are created through voluntary servitude. If we were to come an end to this servitude worldwide, who exactly would choose to work in mines? It is very dangerous and I find it hard to believe that anybody finds it "fulfilling", at best "tolerable". Many people in poor countries do so because they have no other choice if they wish to survive, or in America "because the reward / money is good". Also, who actually "wants" to work on an assembly line?

They wish to end war, but yet they still choose to rely on materials that are difficult to procure or are in limited supply. This is the direct cause of war (besides religious wars).

Whenever trying to solve a problem one must go to the root of the problem. Which is how eastern medicine works. Money is not the cause of all the problems, big controlling government is also not the cause of all the problems. That if you try and solve those issues, new problems will still continuously be created. These are just symptoms / manifestations of an even deeper underlying issue.

The way I see it, one must eliminate everything that keeps us in the "animal realm". That keeps us living as physical beings separate from each other and our surroundings. That this is what "creates all of the problems", the strong sense of individual self.

To be free of fear, greed, selfishness, concern for the future, physical pain, hierarchy, etc. I'm still working on the best way to accomplish that, or the best way of life to minimize or eliminate all of these things...

Ion - Eat hemp seeds instead of meat...there you go no thinking involved. If you want. Not that you have to but I'm just saying it's an easy way to be a vegetarian.

Edited by DeadDragon

Sign in to follow this