Sign in to follow this  
becomethepath

Evaluate my financial plan/ future

looks like a good life to me.

who's going to pay you 30 - 40 k a year?

what will you have to be working at to get that kind of money?

...you better find that girlfriend or your rent is going to be double. Even if you do find her, your going to be spending money on her...haha.

And you have no money budgeted for food....the most important part of this lifestyle that you want to live.

And you have no payments on your car or motorcycle so I'm assuming you already own them and have them paid in full...

Listen man, if your living in America you need to be making at least 40,000 a year to be able to travel twice a year and spend 5,000 on it. Vacations suck when you have no money. They suck even more when you have a giant credit card bill to come home to.

Good Luck.

...you better find that girlfriend or your rent is going to be double. Even if you do find her, your going to be spending money on her...haha.

i thought about that but he may be from india

where the girlfriend hands everything over

And you have no money budgeted for food....the most important part of this lifestyle that you want to live.

i thought about that too but he may be from india

where the girlfriend hands everything over and cooks the food

And you have no payments on your car or motorcycle so I'm assuming you already own them and have them paid in full...

i also thought about that

but too much reality would spoil the spirituality in this thread

Listen man, if your living in America you need to be making at least 40,000 a year to be able to travel twice a year and spend 5,000 on it. Vacations suck when you have no money. They suck even more when you have a giant credit card bill to come home to.

you sound like a sane guy who accepts gravity as a fact of life

so, what are you doing here?

Good Luck.

thanks, I hope i survive hahaha,

looks like a good life to me.

who's going to pay you 30 - 40 k a year?

what will you have to be working at to get that kind of money?

i'm not from india, im from california, i'll be working in the restaurant/ food/ entertainment industry

i'm not from india, im from california, i'll be working in the restaurant/ food/ entertainment industry

the great thing about our great country

is that you can still be in india in california

and jackson heights, new york, is no different from mumbai

i have been to chinatowns here in the usa

and could swear i was in hongkong

restaurant/food industry?

front end or back?

sounds like a fun career

you could be the chef

and your girlfriend a maitre'd?

that'd work even for buddhists

there are always miscellaneous costs. You can save money on travel by renting houses from locals, or even staying with locals - that is always fun...the question is where are you going to put your savings? The trick with making savings work is beating the yearly inflation % increase. If where you keep your $$ doesnt at least beat it by a few points, its not so useful.

good points, songtsan.

very sane and down-to-earth

i think the salient point of this thread

is how does one live a good life

in this world

how does one follow the path

in the "hood".

if we could discuss this realistically

in full cognizance of harsh realities

it would be helpful (for your book)

I like minimalism. Not owning anything not needed. Make stuff yourself if possible - find smart ways to create art to decorate the house. Don't be attached to brand names/designer labels...buy quality over quantity, stuff that lasts vs. stuff that breaks. Eat only food needed, dont spend bunches of extra money gorging on snacks and stuff..Drink water vs. juice/soda...I can probably come up with a huge list of how to live cheaply - I am doing it now because I am unemployed

i am unemployed too

by choice, two years ago

to tread the path.

i am looking for liberation

but not of the spiritual kind

i want to be free, completely

from conventional life

the need for money to live in necessary

even at the basic level

without personal relationships of any kind

no partners to care for, no kids to raise

it is this need for money, no matter how little,

that binds one to a conventional life

even living in the forest to forage does not bring liberation

for it is still a conventional existence

therefore, it is not money that binds

it is the need for money that enslaves

it is the need to stay alive that is the problem

what do you say?

How do you know that's the industry you'll be working in? It sounds very broad and vague.

Do you already have a job lined up?

If you're in college now, and are about to graduate, (this fall? Next spring?) I would go down to career services and speak to professors and other students your age and network your ass off. It makes finding a job infinitely easier.

30-40K starting salary? I think that's doable... depending on your major and what you are willing to do for a job.

What is your major? What is your ideal job? Restaurant/entertainment, so... what? Are you a stage performer? Stage manager? Waiter? Maitre'd? Chef? Stripper?

Seriously, what are you going to do, and how do you know?

This is really the linchpin in determining how viable your financial plan is. You can budget around whatever your income is/is going to be. But if you have no income, all of your planning is just theoretical.

Your budget does look pretty good, aside from food. I'm not too careful about what I spend on food, but I probably spend around $300 a month.

If you don't take on any "projects" that suck you dry of all your money (my biggest issue), you can do pretty well.

I make what you're looking to make. I'm in a fairly cheap western state, where the culture is outdoors. Once you buy some gear, you only pay for the gas money to get places. Can be a pretty inexpensive life.

You will be surprised what other avenues your money finds to spend itself...but if you are careful, that amount of money can really allow you to be pretty comfortable. It's all up to you. I was living quite comfortably, until I picked up a project...now I'm living paycheck to paycheck, having to take a little out of savings here and there when I overspend. I've never been much for budgets.... :) I should change that!

I will say, if you're good about saving money, and you end up making the upper range of what you're going for (before taxes), your take-home money, what shows up in your checking account to go to all those expenses, will be more like $1,600 a month. Without stating exactly what I make cause this is weird...

But since I've been making what you want to make for around 8 years, starting at the low end and slowly moving to the high end, I have a pretty realistic view of how much money it is.

I'm single and my money is my own. I'm responsible and don't own much, but you'd be amazed where you can spend all your money if you don't stick to a strict budget.

If you made $40,000 pre tax, got paid twice a month and put a couple hundred in savings each paycheck, you're really looking at $1,600ish a month. You better be willing to get a roommate if you don't get a girlfriend. Add in repairs to stuff, medical visits every now and then, don't get a pet, add in food because that's a major expense. You mention going out drinking, which even in my comparably (to Cali) very cheap state, is EXPENSIVE. Especially when if its right after work, which usually leads to grabbing dinner out.

You will NOT have the money you're expecting. But if you can be disciplined and stick to a strict budget, you can have plenty of money, and travel.

In my work, I can only take the amount of time international travel really requires, once every two years. Because I like camping trips and other stuff where I'm taking a day off here and there, sometimes a week off for a long desert trip or something. Unless you're job allows more flexibility, or you're willing to give up on/turn down all little cabin weekend camping weekend extended weekend trips with friends, twice a year real traveling isn't going to happen, money wise or time off wise.

So...the real deal is that any amount of money over $30,000 a year is plenty of money, DEPENDING ON YOUR LIFESTYLE. Some can do well on 10k a year. Most will never feel they have money no matter how much they make, and many of those really truly are hard up and on the edge because they blow all their money all the time and end up coming up short on important things every month.

So it's up to you.

I think you're on the right track, but are being over optimistic about the amount of money you'll have to play around with.

A year or two in the real world making a "living wage" will teach you what the truth is, and you'll be able to figure it out from there.

Those who know what's important to them, keep focused on it, keep to budgets and are disciplined, do really quite well in life as long as no major health problems or anything like that plague them.

Mot of us are too willing to cave and spend money going out with friends, buying stuff etc.

Edited by i am
  • Like 1

Haha! Just because I accept facts of life doesn't mean I despair over them or attempt to change my own.

I'm here because I love Taoism. From what I understand Taoism was created as the sciences of life so that we may all live long happy healthy and wise. What else is of value in this life?....

You pay for your credit card? What's $50 for credit card mean?

Be very careful with those things...

Better than a debit card because you have better fraud protection, but you can use a debit card for anything you'd need a credit card for, and they don't allow you to spend money you don't have. But credit cards have all sorts of bonuses, so if you're disciplined, they're the better option.

I can't get Internet for cheaper than $50/month...downside of living in the mountains.

Edited by i am

Oh and I noticed motorcycle and car. Cars are EXPENSIVE. Figure in oil changes, tuneups, plus things like new tires and other major expenses now and then. My projects are always vehicles (sometimes musical instruments)...they'll easily suck up all your money and time, unless you're smart on what vehicle you own, and become your own mechanic.

But a car will cost you around $60 every couple months for oil changes, and unless you can somehow avoid all maintenance (which just causes more expensive problems down the road), figure a couple hundred bucks (or even several hundred to a thousand) twice a year on random stuff going wrong.

i am unemployed too

by choice, two years ago

to tread the path.

i am looking for liberation

but not of the spiritual kind

i want to be free, completely

from conventional life

the need for money to live in necessary

even at the basic level

without personal relationships of any kind

no partners to care for, no kids to raise

it is this need for money, no matter how little,

that binds one to a conventional life

even living in the forest to forage does not bring liberation

for it is still a conventional existence

therefore, it is not money that binds

it is the need for money that enslaves

it is the need to stay alive that is the problem

what do you say?

Having money gives one a sense of security. Not having money is stressful to many. I don't like that - I feel that the movement away from hunter/gatherer to this organized system of inter-commerce is somewhat stifling to nature's way, yet also more secure in other fashions. Its not like a person will starve in this society, yet there are now these ego-demands on one to fit in. Its plus and minuses. Thats why I like being minimalist. I can live on ~$600-800 a month easily. Yet a person could live on no income - collect bottles, eat food out of garbage, sleep in cardboard boxes, etc. and still survive - many do! I dont fear that I couldnt survive no matter what the situation...if others can do it so can I, but its the ego-thing that gives me anxiety now. Imagine yourself with a guaranteed income that is enough to keep you in good shape regardless of what you do, and if you visualize it properly, you can see all that psychic tension melt away (at least it works for me). I find this interesting.

Haha! Just because I accept facts of life doesn't mean I despair over them or attempt to change my own.

I'm here because I love Taoism. From what I understand Taoism was created as the sciences of life so that we may all live long happy healthy and wise. What else is of value in this life?....

i like your attitude.

have you any idea what is the point to living your life?

Oh and I noticed motorcycle and car. Cars are EXPENSIVE. Figure in oil changes, tuneups, plus things like new tires and other major expenses now and then. My projects are always vehicles (sometimes musical instruments)...they'll easily suck up all your money and time, unless you're smart on what vehicle you own, and become your own mechanic. But a car will cost you around $60 every couple months for oil changes, and unless you can somehow avoid all maintenance (which just causes more expensive problems down the road), figure a couple hundred bucks (or even several hundred to a thousand) twice a year on random stuff going wrong.

what about a bicycle?

that should cut a lot of expenses on transportation.

Having money gives one a sense of security.

ok, i will cut to the chase.

is it possible to get that security

through a spiritual awakening?
i am not talking about being a spiritual hack
or mesmerizing a flock of human sheep and living off of them

Not having money is stressful to many. I don't like that - I feel that the movement away from hunter/gatherer to this organized system of inter-commerce is somewhat stifling to nature's way, yet also more secure in other fashions. Its not like a person will starve in this society, yet there are now these ego-demands on one to fit in. Its plus and minuses. Thats why I like being minimalist. I can live on ~$600-800 a month easily. Yet a person could live on no income - collect bottles, eat food out of garbage, sleep in cardboard boxes, etc. and still survive - many do! I dont fear that I couldnt survive no matter what the situation...if others can do it so can I, but its the ego-thing that gives me anxiety now.

this is plan b

if the path one tread leads to perdition

this is why it is important to get it right.

Imagine yourself with a guaranteed income that is enough to keep you in good shape regardless of what you do, and if you visualize it properly, you can see all that psychic tension melt away (at least it works for me). I find this interesting.

yes,

i believe that the right way protects

the income is there without the guarantee

but you feel protected

and the money is there

no cheating, no stealing, not even having to lose one's dignity

if this is not so

then the path is pointless.

Edited by narveen

what about a bicycle?

that should cut a lot of expenses on transportation.

Yes. I wasn't giving advice on what to do, just what to be aware of. A lot of expenses associated with cars, so that should be figured into the budget if he's going to have one. Bikes can be much cheaper, if where you live and work is conducive to it. But I know people who can spen a LOT of money on a bike...

ok, i will cut to the chase.

is it possible to get that security

through a spiritual awakening?
i am not talking about being a spiritual hack
or mesmerizing a flock of human sheep and living off of them
yes - nonattachment, equanimity, and fearlessness - all very hard to attain and somewhat interrelated

I notice you don't want kids. I am going to say something and everyone is going to think gee... More_Pie_Guy is a misogynistic ***hole. What I am about to say however is absolutely, t-totally, 100%, true.

When or if you get to have kids, is not your call to make, UNLESS you have a vasectomy before you start having a sexual relationship with a person.

When or if you have kids is something the woman decides, and when she hits age 30-35 you will virtually be able to hear her biological clock tick.

If she wants a child at this point, she will make that call, not you. She may or may not discuss this with you before hand.

This isn't to hate on women. This is just a statement of fact and observation about how reality works.

So I highly suggest if you are certain 100% certain you don't want kids, that you get a vasectomy before you get into a relationship.

Hello, I've been thinking a lot of my future, I remember before when I had dreams of having a nice house, nice luxury car, traveling the world, winning the lottery, and etc. I'm awake now.

What are my goals?

• Healthy
  • Beautiful Girlfriend
  • Practice Buddhism
  • Live, Laugh, Love
  • Compassion for people who I meet and who come into my life
  • No kids & No marriage
  • Travel the world
The important part of living is to have enough money to put food on the table. That's basically it. I don't need a lot of stuff, I don't need fancy luxury watches or expensive smartphones.

I'm still in college, however I will be graduating soon. I plan to work this job that pays 30,000 to 40,000 after taxes. It's a 9 to 5 job, once the day is over, I can do whatever I want, go out to drink, hang out with friends, practice buddhism, meditate, etc, there is no "homework", no late night phone calls about business, nothing I need to study for. It's a job that I don't mind doing either.

One of the things I don't want to aim high is because, when I aim high, I feel like I'm suffering and stressing out all the time. I have to live up to "expectations" and I don't like it. I don't care what my parents want, as long as I'm happy, that's all that matters. Plus, let's say I do aim high, I have a nice house, nice car, and this attracts girls who are materialistic or attracted to me BECAUSE I have a nice HOUSE and nice CAR. Let's take out the nice house and nice car, I just want a girl that likes me for me. Plus more money, more problems, more stuff, more problems.

I want a girlfriend that I'm able to "struggle" with together, instead of being already well-established already. I feel like the bond between us will be stronger and deeper.

Income: 30-40,000, monthly take home income is $2800 (rough estimate)

Apartment: $600 after splitting (I plan to split rent with my future girlfriend)

Cellphone: $40

credit card: $50

Internet: $30

gas: $250

motorcycle insurance: $100

car insurance: $150

miscellaneous: $300

$1300 left per month after expenses

Traveling budget, twice per year, $5000 (air expense, hotels, etc)

Roughly $12,000 saved up each year for whatever.

I'm not a spender, nor am I saver, I'm in between.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Another thing is be more concerned with a smart, down to earth, frugal, practical girlfriend. Usually the prettier they are on the outside the uglier they are on the inside. You do not want a girl with a princess complex. You want a simple, humble, frugal, pragmatic, and practical girl. If you manage to find one of these who is also pretty (good luck) so be it.

Most of the relationships I've had in the past have been good at first, but once they get to know how far they can push you they will quit their job and "look" for another one. Supporting another person is no easy task, and you really want someone else who will pull their own weight financially, not blow all their money on crazy stuff like 400,000 pairs of shoes and 20,000 varieties of herbal essence (can't even get into the shower without knocking over some *** **** bottle of some expensive shampoo or body wash) or have a room dedicated to makeup and expensive clothes.

Imagine constantly fighting over who gets to spend the money you earn and on what, it isn't fun and I don't recommend it.

Make sure the person you find is pretty on the inside too, not just the outside. The inside is wayyyyy more important as they all wind up looking like Yoda eventually anyway.

Hello, I've been thinking a lot of my future, I remember before when I had dreams of having a nice house, nice luxury car, traveling the world, winning the lottery, and etc. I'm awake now.

What are my goals?

• Healthy
  • Beautiful Girlfriend
  • Practice Buddhism
  • Live, Laugh, Love
  • Compassion for people who I meet and who come into my life
  • No kids & No marriage
  • Travel the world

The important part of living is to have enough money to put food on the table. That's basically it. I don't need a lot of stuff, I don't need fancy luxury watches or expensive smartphones.

I'm still in college, however I will be graduating soon. I plan to work this job that pays 30,000 to 40,000 after taxes. It's a 9 to 5 job, once the day is over, I can do whatever I want, go out to drink, hang out with friends, practice buddhism, meditate, etc, there is no "homework", no late night phone calls about business, nothing I need to study for. It's a job that I don't mind doing either.

One of the things I don't want to aim high is because, when I aim high, I feel like I'm suffering and stressing out all the time. I have to live up to "expectations" and I don't like it. I don't care what my parents want, as long as I'm happy, that's all that matters. Plus, let's say I do aim high, I have a nice house, nice car, and this attracts girls who are materialistic or attracted to me BECAUSE I have a nice HOUSE and nice CAR. Let's take out the nice house and nice car, I just want a girl that likes me for me. Plus more money, more problems, more stuff, more problems.

I want a girlfriend that I'm able to "struggle" with together, instead of being already well-established already. I feel like the bond between us will be stronger and deeper.

Income: 30-40,000, monthly take home income is $2800 (rough estimate)

Apartment: $600 after splitting (I plan to split rent with my future girlfriend)

Cellphone: $40

credit card: $50

Internet: $30

gas: $250

motorcycle insurance: $100

car insurance: $150

miscellaneous: $300

$1300 left per month after expenses

Traveling budget, twice per year, $5000 (air expense, hotels, etc)

Roughly $12,000 saved up each year for whatever.

I'm not a spender, nor am I saver, I'm in between.

• Like 1

I sure do like "intermountain west" women...Not much of that stuff around here, pretty or otherwise.

yes - nonattachment, equanimity, and fearlessness - all very hard to attain and somewhat interrelated

if a spiritual awakening bringing security

amounts to coming to terms with one's situation,

then non-attachment, equanimity and fearlessness

imply being stuck, inner turmoil and fear.

i think being stuck is the root problem

becoming unstuck could be an impossibility

if the situation has become intractable

one can be stuck to people, places and things

i don't think getting unstuck can be thought out

if you have to figure a way to become unstuck

then it's a trap.

what do you think?

Sign in to follow this