Sign in to follow this  
Marblehead

The Magic Stairs

I love this.

Talk about a paradigm buster...

It makes my inner fundamentalist/skeptic rage in a great way.

I know. I would love to walk those in real. I'd have a hard time figuring out whether I was coming or going.

• Like 1

I build scenery for a living and will definitely go check this out when I'm in the area.

Just have no idea how they pulled it off.

Even though I'd kind of hate to have the illusion broken. Curiosity wins.

Even though I'd kind of hate to have the illusion broken. Curiosity wins.

Yeah, even I enjoy a little magic in my life.

if it is so real why don't they explain how it works? >_>

also, just going by how the video itself looks, they could have easily shopped it. i wanna see someone take a long rope and do something with that, or hold a clock in front of the camera so we can watch it tick while someone else runs in circles and then we look for skips in the video

Edited by Flolfolil
  • Like 2

sorry to be a buzzkill :P

believe me, i -want- it to be real. i really do :)

i absolutely love the unexplainable world, once i got a taste of it i became quite addicted to not knowing what is going on at all.

well, if they hadda got escher to construct the stairs,,,

it'd had a good chance to work,

penrose probably coulda pulled it off too

escherian stairwell could go to the geometry thread hehehe

The series "Brain Games" is interesting. They do funny things with our brain. Nearly everything is illusion but a lot of it is based on how the brain works and they mess with its shortcomings.

I once had a lucid dream where I was trying to reconcile Escherian boxes and pillars incongruent with waking reality.

Became so disoriented in my dream state, that I woke myself up and promptly vomited. lmao.

Escher will get a big wet kiss from me for that one, when I meet him on the other side.

became so disoriented in my dream state, that I woke myself up and promptly vomited

i can get pretty dizzy when i am meditating and realize i have forgotten where i am, what room i am in, which direction i am facing, which direction is up, etc. What i do is just surrender to the disorientation and that tends to balance me out even though i still have no idea where i am. Like the difference between falling and barely being supported sitting on a cloud

i can get pretty dizzy when i am meditating and realize i have forgotten where i am, what room i am in, which direction i am facing, which direction is up, etc. What i do is just surrender to the disorientation and that tends to balance me out even though i still have no idea where i am. Like the difference between falling and barely being supported sitting on a cloud

That's got to be a wild experience! I've never experienced anything like that in seated meditation.

I used to be a stage actor and the last show I performed in as an actor was at LaMama in NYC, back in the early 90's. It was a script adapted from the poetry of Rumi and all the actors learned to whirl in the dervish tradition for the show.

I found that the only time I got dizzy while whirling was when I was trying to be in the mind and follow thoughts. If I let go and released to the process, it was very pure and there was zero nausea or disorientation, even when whirling for 40 minutes or more.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this