This may just be a confusion of terms, but lately I keep coming across 'shen' gong. At first I thought this was a type of qi gong, but then I read that it is a dicipline strictly focused on mental/spiritual development. One of the texts I was reading stated that an initial shen gong exercise involved repeating the question "Who am I?"

I was hoping someone here might be able to provide a more expanded definition of shen gong, or clarify how it is different from qi gong. Also, is there a jing gong as well? Is that a thing?

I did a search for jing gong on google and found mostly hits for an airsoft gun company by that name. Searching that term on TTB returns mostly sexual cultivation threads. Could semen retention and sexual cultivation qigong be considered 'jing gong?'

• Like 1

If shen gone is repeating a mantra - japa -- K'oan -- that is just MIND YOGA - shen is the spirit light energy. So when we focus the mind with a japa - repeated phrase internally -- then we create MORE SHEN energy -- because shen is SYNCHRONIZED LIGHT energy.

Normally the mind is not coherent or not synchronized.

Then what happens is that by putting the tongue to the roof of the mouth this connects the two main channels and enables the electromagnetic energy to descend down to the life force jing energy.

So then we activate the life force energy.

For example desire is a spirit heart activation of the life force energy.

But this is subconscious -- so the shen electromagnetic energy descends - and then that is what activates the reproductive energy to create life.

But by turning that around and building it up - this is only by activating the energy through EMPTINESS -- so the "gong" -- the work - means to focus on the EMPTINESS and that is what the mind mantra or japa does.

So you empty out the mind of thoughts by concentrating the mind on one thought.

The shen is the light that is seen -- but then the jing energy has to be turned from negative jing or yin jing to yang jing which is yin chi energy.

So the yin chi energy is electrochemical energy -- so the lower tan tien gets hot - that is from the descent of the shen energy.

So when the yin chi energy builds up then the descent of the shen energy creates shen jing energy - the prenatal vitality within the jing energy.

So that is the mixing of yang and yin - to create more shen energy. So then you use that energy to open up the third eye.

You can study "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality" for more details -- http://www.mediafire.com/?1owotofjjzr

• Like 1

What do you think you are doing with stillness-movement? ;) Do you know it is, ultimately, shen gong? :)

Or, are you just looking around for other shen gong practices? (I started searching on TTB and the www to assist you, but found too much info.)

I was not aware of that. :) I'm not looking for new practices, just trying to clarify terms. When researching these topics I feel like a lot of chinese words get thrown at me and I'm lacking the language context to have a firm grasp of what the author is talking about.

In this case, I was starting to get the impression that shen gong was (as PFL said) a sort of mental yoga. If, as you say, s-m is a sort of shen gong (and PFL seems to corroborate this when he says the work of shen gong is "to focus on the EMPTINESS") then I think I was mistaken.

Thanks for the response, lady! :) How is your shen gong going these days? :huh:

• Like 1

Normally the mind is not coherent or not synchronized.

Ain't that the truth! ;) Thanks for the attempted clarification. :)

For those who are not familiar with the Chinese language.

FYI 神功(shen gong) is not a special method of practice. It is only an exaggerated description of a very effective method(功).

神功(shen gong) is an exaggeration of a superb and magnificent practice as a "divine method". Thus 神功(shen gong) means a divine method.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

For those who are not familiar with the Chinese language.

FYI 神功(shen gong) is not a special method of practice. It is only an exaggerated description of a very effective method(功).

神功(shen gong) is an exaggeration of a superb and magnificent practice as a "divine method". Thus 神功(shen gong) means a divine method.

Those characters look really similar. So 神 is 'shen' and 功 is 'method?'

Those characters look really similar. So 神 is 'shen' and 功 is 'method?'

Yes, that is correct.

I did a search for jing gong on google and found mostly hits for an airsoft gun company by that name. Searching that term on TTB returns mostly sexual cultivation threads. Could semen retention and sexual cultivation qigong be considered 'jing gong?'

Jing Gong is not the semen retention nor sexual cultivation.

精工(jing gong) means perfect craftsmanship.

There is the Shen Gong of being possessed by spirits, ghosts, demons, gods.

Then there is the Shen Gong of cultivating to realize inherent wisdom, utilizing methods to learn from cultivated beings for wholesome practices. Also, this Shen Gong cultivates for the putting down of false thinking, and ending discriminations in the mind. Thus, allowing for the energy of the body to refine, the mind to refine, and wisdom to blossom. This method, when practiced with specific instructions, will allow the cultivator to listen without listening, so as to allow the body to free up stagnation through movement and standing, sometimes sitting, if applied that way. Lying methods are practiced as well.

It is a high method of practice in that it focuses on putting down the internal dialogue, ending discriminating thinking. With this, attainment is "faster", than most other methods, but a foundation of practice is necessary to get anywhere with this method. Its all dependent on the cultivator, whether or not they "attain" anything quicker than most. The speed in which one attains is up to their mind, and nothing else.

*** Added:

I liken this method of practice to Chan Meditation.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 6

Shen Gong is something one would find it in a fictional story. Shen Gong is suppose to be give the practitioner some supernatural strength or power.

Shen Gong is something one would find it in a fictional story. Shen Gong is suppose to be give the practitioner some supernatural strength or power.

Unfortunately, that is what is displayed in movies. That kind of practice is spirit possession, and not the kind I teach/practice.

Shen, meaning spirit, is directly pointing to a more refined manner, meaning wisdom. Gong meaning practice.

Thus, pointing to a manner of practice which results in the realization of one's inherent wisdom. Methods are the same as the application of the mind in Chan and the practices of Zhan Zhuang and intuitive movement. Intuitive movement is allowing the mind to stop the discriminating thinking, thus allowing the body to move in ways which result in healing, and strengthening. The mind, in turn, becomes more refined, meaning stronger in concentration, and less day dreaming, false thinking.

This results in the realization of wisdom, and even the state of asking and receiving. Thus, what one wishes to know, they only need to get into that deep state of concentration, Samadhi, and investigate, contemplate, realize.

• Like 5

the methods in Taoist Yoga, parts correspond to jing gong, shen gong. fill the generative force and focus on the cavity of vitality, that is jing gong; the forming of the precious cauldron, shen gong - "the cultivation of immortality does not go beyond spirit and vitality."

• Like 1

林愛偉 ,

sounds alot like the shen gong i practice.

Call it anything if you like. Actually, the final result leads back to the mind cultivation. It is one of the cultivations in Chi Kung. The practice of Chi Kung involves the cultivation of the body, breathing and mind.

Call it anything if you like. Actually, the final result leads back to the mind cultivation. It is one of the cultivations in Chi Kung. The practice of Chi Kung involves the cultivation of the body, breathing and mind.

i call it marvellous :)

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 3

the tao that can be named is not the true tao

...and the underwear that is worn is not the cleanest afterwards. :P:D

• Like 3

i continue to realize that it is difficult for any of us to have an understanding of some-thing without experiencing that thing.

so, it is a challenge for us to explain about qigong to anyone who hasnt practiced it yet.

many of us here have heard and read that the Taoist concept of cultivation is referring to Jing Qi Shen.

i usually refer to Jing as our life essence, our vitality.

healthy people have a strong 'jing'

qigong can be translated as 'energy power'

and qigong is divided into 3 parts;

1.Martial art qigong and there is neigong (internal power) and waigong (external power)

2.Healing qigong

3. Spiritual qigong

qigong is an exercise to develop our energy power.

energy is the middle dimension that is between the physical dimension and the spirit dimension.

but qigong is closer to the physical dimension

some think that shen gong is an advanced level of qigong

shen gong is an exercise that refines and transforms our energy from the physical into the spirit dimension.

so, both qigong and shen gong develop our energy

the qigong energy is close to the physical dimension

the shen gong is close to the spirit dimension

the shen gong i practice is the foundation to the next level in spirit cultivation (immortality)

in this process, the shen gong refines the energy and then it is cultivated by meditation that is based on Zi Ran and Wu Wei

i have been practicing shen gong a year now, one year

and in august 2013 there will be Taoist training to share this art

if anyone wants to know more, feel free to PM me

• Like 6

... When researching these topics I feel like a lot of chinese words get thrown at me and I'm lacking the language context to have a firm grasp of what the author is talking about...

Yes, a lot of Chinese words and concepts do get thrown around, many times with whoever is doing the throwing having no clear concept of what is being referred to.

One reason for this is that any particular author has to experience and refer in context to any particular thing being described, and the quote below addresses this:

And this quote is by Zerostao, "i continue to realize that it is difficult for any of us to have an understanding of some-thing without experiencing that thing."

I prefer now to not utilize most of the Chinese terminology instead I attempt to put it into terms that can be understood by westerners.

And this quote by Lin, "Then there is the Shen Gong of cultivating to realize inherent wisdom, utilizing methods to learn from cultivated beings for wholesome practices. Also, this Shen Gong cultivates for the putting down of false thinking, and ending discriminations in the mind. Thus, allowing for the energy of the body to refine, the mind to refine, and wisdom to blossom. This method, when practiced with specific instructions, will allow the cultivator to listen without listening, so as to allow the body to free up stagnation through movement and standing, sometimes sitting, if applied that way. Lying methods are practiced as well."

It is a high method of practice in that it focuses on putting down the internal dialogue, ending discriminating thinking. With this, attainment is "faster", than most other methods, but a foundation of practice is necessary to get anywhere with this method. Its all dependent on the cultivator, whether or not they "attain" anything quicker than most ...Shen, meaning spirit, is directly pointing to a more refined manner, meaning wisdom. ...intuitive movement. Intuitive movement is allowing the mind to stop the discriminating thinking, thus allowing the body to move in ways which result in healing, and strengthening. The mind, in turn, becomes more refined, meaning stronger in concentration, and less day dreaming, false thinking. ...intuitive movement. Intuitive movement is allowing the mind to stop the discriminating thinking, thus allowing the body to move in ways which result in healing, and strengthening. The mind, in turn, becomes more refined, meaning stronger in concentration, and less day dreaming, false thinking. ...intuitive movement. Intuitive movement is allowing the mind to stop the discriminating thinking, thus allowing the body to move in ways which result in healing, and strengthening. The mind, in turn, becomes more refined, meaning stronger in concentration, and less day dreaming, false thinking. ...This results in the realization of wisdom, and even the state of asking and receiving."

Nice!

Yes, Green Tiger, Stillness-Movement can be considered a Shen-gong form. How about Jing, Qi, Shen, Light. Once the practitioner reaches Shen level they then progress to the ability of Light manipulation.

Every exercise we do is aimed at this, the shifting in the Gift of Tao movements, the raising of awareness in the Stillness-Movement standing and sitting, the energy projection by the Teacher, our approach to always being in the qi-state 24/7, the practice of "Listening"; all these progress the practitioner to the Shen-Light awareness state.

Which leads to this: "One of the texts I was reading stated that an initial shen gong exercise involved repeating the question "Who am I?" "

In the practice of Shen-gong one aim is to awaken to who we really are - our inherent nature - our true selves and our interaction with Heaven-Earth as well as our interactions of multidimensional awareness

• Like 14

Yes, Green Tiger, Stillness-Movement can be considered a Shen-gong form. How about Jing, Qi, Shen, Light. Once the practitioner reaches Shen level they then progress to the ability of Light manipulation.

Every exercise we do is aimed at this, the shifting in the Gift of Tao movements, the raising of awareness in the Stillness-Movement standing and sitting, the energy projection by the Teacher, our approach to always being in the qi-state 24/7, the practice of "Listening"; all these progress the practitioner to the Shen-Light awareness state.

Which leads to this: "One of the texts I was reading stated that an initial shen gong exercise involved repeating the question "Who am I?" "

In the practice of Shen-gong one aim is to awaken to who we really are - our inherent nature - our true selves and our interaction with Heaven-Earth as well as our interactions of multidimensional awareness

So practices that develop Jing, Qi, Shen, and Light are not necessarily distinguishable from one another? Practicing the Gift of the Tao movements, for instance, will develop each different type of energy in turn (progressively)? There isn't say, one specific move that develops Jing and another move that develops Shen? Each move has the capability to develop all of them. As does the sitting, standing, ect.

So it must just be the quality of the practice that changes as the practitioner progresses from one state to the next? There is a jing quality of practice, a qi quality of practice, a shen quality of practice, and a light quality of practice, yeah? I'm just guessing that is how people distinguish between these things now; by the quality of the practice and not at all by what sort of methods are being practiced.

Thanks for taking the time to clear that up for me!

So practices that develop Jing, Qi, Shen, and Light are not necessarily distinguishable from one another? Practicing the Gift of the Tao movements, for instance, will develop each different type of energy in turn (progressively)? There isn't say, one specific move that develops Jing and another move that develops Shen? Each move has the capability to develop all of them. As does the sitting, standing, ect.

So it must just be the quality of the practice that changes as the practitioner progresses from one state to the next? There is a jing quality of practice, a qi quality of practice, a shen quality of practice, and a light quality of practice, yeah? I'm just guessing that is how people distinguish between these things now; by the quality of the practice and not at all by what sort of methods are being practiced.

No movements can open awareness, only the application of concentration can allow the dust of the mind to settle, and let the brightness of the true mind shine through. The more practice, the less dust.

• Like 4

It depends on the practice. In our system there is a steady progression. We do have GOT I, Got II, and GOT III. It is based on energy body and a person't time&effort. Person A puts in 30 min a day and person B puts in 3 hrs a day; person B is much more likely to progress at a faster rate. In our system it starts with the awakening projection by the Teacher. This has the potential to give a much faster progression but does not replace a person's own time& effort. Once a person has practiced they come back and the Teacher works with them at their awareness that, through the practice, has changed from what it was when they first started.

And yes, while I can't speak for other practices our movements DO raise awareness as they are all based on energy patterns from the higher levels; but yes the stilling of the mind and cutting of the inner dialogue is important in the progression and yes, we do the sitting concurrently. Not just sitting and not just movement - both; this leads to faster progression.

• Like 6