Sign in to follow this  
effilang

Throwing up feeling

I was meditating today and all of a sudden I had this urge to throw up.

My stomach was completely empty, this is before breakfast.

I've never felt this before. The urge came out of nowhere and I started feeling nausea.

It was difficult just to get through to the end of the meditation but I did.

The urge was so strong that i several times considered running to the toilet, but I knew if I did nothing would happen.

I was just meditating on my ldt as always. I didn't change anything about my meditation.

I did whole body breathing after that and it seemed to help disperse the sensation a little and subside it.

Now that the meditation is over, I feel fine.

Anyone experienced this?

I was meditating today and all of a sudden I had this urge to throw up.

My stomach was completely empty, this is before breakfast.

Anyone experienced this?

Please try not to do it before breakfast. You were lack of nourishment and the blood sugar was low due to an empty stomach.

Edited by ChiDragon

I don't think that would be it as I have the same routine every morning.

I have 4 hours of seated meditation before 12:45 PM

I've never experienced it before, so I'm just wondering why now...

I'm going to meditate again now for another 3 hours, and I really hope it doesn't happen again.

It was a horrible feeling, but there was nothing attached to it. No memories, no events no ideas, it just came out of nothing and so swiftly that it took me by surprise.

Edited by effilang

The second session I had was the same and the feeling again manifested out of my stomach and rose to my throat and made me want to puke.

I told the Abbot that i didn't know what it was and why it was arising and that it came as a result of the emptiness and not any ideas.

He looked at me like he always does, with this piercing gaze, that makes it seem as though he is not looking at your eyes, but through them.

Then he said, it's ok. If you wanna puke, then puke, all the while walking away from me all jolly like he knew something I didnt, till he was several meters away until he added. "I'll get you a bucket".

And he went and came back with a bucket. And all I could think was, this guy knows his stuff.

So I entered the shrine room with my bucket among all the other mediators for another session.

I was the only bucketeer.

Long story short. The feeling didn't arise once until the very end of the session, but as soon as I noticed it, it disappeared. It was such a quick response. I have never experienced such speed in my life. It was like it was and wasn't at the very same moment. The end and the beginning of the thought were the same.

Anyway. I asked myself.

Did the bucket save me or did the idea of the bucket save me. Then it dawned on me, that both the physical bucket and the the mental bucket produced the very same result. They both allowed me to let go. But not in the simple sense you think, as in the comfort of the bucket being there. No. I was already previously trying to let go, but the desire to let go was making me cling harder, which was exacerbating the nausea.

Then I realised that the idea of the bucket itself was transient and hence empty.

And I concluded, that if the cure was empty and unsubstantial then the problem in the first place was empty, unsubstantial and unreal.

3 hours of meditation later, and it has not arisen again.

PROFIT

Edited by effilang

Hi Effilang

When I was introduced to qigong in the early nineties, I learned simple practices from Roger Jahnke, all fun, no problem. Then the friend who introduced me to Jahnke wanted me to stand like a tree. Even though I could stand for hours to shop or do massage, not even 3 minutes into standing like a tree, I wanted to barf. (I pretty much HATE barfing!) So I stopped. I'd try again and again, same result. And every time I'd stop.

Finally, I did what your Abbot did. I got myself a bucket. OK, so I'll barf. I didn't throw up, and, standing through that urge, the sick energy just blossomed into a huge energy rush! And that was the end of ever wanting to barf during practice.

• Like 2

HAHAHA....good stuff :lol: effi, got a copy of yellow emperor? you'll find the etiology there if you're really interested in that.

sometimes when meditating, or just sitting there, i forget where i am in space

i lose balance and that brings nausea. but when i stop caring where i am the loss of balance and nausea goes away

Hmmm a few days ago when this whole Kundalaini pain the arse experience started I mentioned that one of the symptoms I was having was nausea. I find Ginger to be very effective when ever I feel nausea though. :)

Hmmm a few days ago when this whole Kundalaini pain the arse experience started

damn, you are just starting to experience kundalini? with the high quality of content in your posts it led me to believe you would have gotten past this already :lol: not to add gas to the ego-fire though :P

damn, you are just starting to experience kundalini? with the high quality of content in your posts it led me to believe you would have gotten past this already :lol: not to add gas to the ego-fire though :P

Actually I was hoping to not experience it at all lol. Ajahn Brahm was interviewed one time about Kundalini and he said that in the hundreds of people he has taught meditation to, no one has had a Kundalini experience yet they consistently attain to very high level meditative states. I was not doing any sort of Kundalini practice, it just sort of happened spontaneously, but if I could have somehow avoided it I would have as this week has been very uncomfortable. But I'm glad you like my posts, even if that is my ego speaking haha. :P

Sign in to follow this