Sign in to follow this  
Maddie

Flood Myths

Something I've wondered about for a while now is the prevalence of flood myths in just about every culture world wide. Of course there is Noah and the Ark, but it seems that just about every culture no matter where they are in the world has their own version. Heck when I was an undergrad in Alaska I learned about the Eskimo version of a world wide flood and one chosen man who saved the day. What is behind these flood legends?

My interpretation of flood myths come mostly from reading Gurdjieff in that I think the flood myths are both literal and allegorical, for example he says the myth of the flood of Atlantis is real and also it is allegorical of the time in your life as a child when everything was mystical and magical, but then that perspective gets sunk into the depths of your subconscious when it is not accepted by society, so flood myths also represent the flooding of the mind.

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 3

Its no myth. You should have seen flooding here in the Midwest last week.

It was so bad I could only grab one of every animal :).

• Like 2

Its no myth. You should have seen flooding here in the Midwest last week.

It was so bad I could only grab one of every animal :).

Did you atleast have time to build an ark? :D

The end of the last Ice age, around 12,500 years ago, when sea levels rose dramatically, swallowing millions of square kilometers of land all over the globe.

Edited by Immortal4life

If multiple cultures are telling the same story, it stands to reason that this represents a real event that human beings experienced in the past and was important and dramatic enough to withstand cultural drift and thousands of years of embellishments. I dont' see this as 'allegorical' or as reflective of 'local' floods. These stories all tell of a single cataclysmic event in which a small number of humans are spared or saved or warned by gods. Whether such a global flood was due to ice or some other factor is open to question. But I'm sure that there was a single event that these stories are echoes of.

8)

I don't think you need cataclysmic floods to spawn 'Ark' Stories. Regular 100 year floods that wipe whole areas, local villages might be enough to spark stories, and once started they grew into tall (epic) tales.

• Like 1

there are 4 key events that tend to be mutual across common cultures:

A world tree/of life/knowledge
A great Pangea continent
A deluge of the world
And an apocalypse/time of revelation/grand prophecy

The greatest story ever told is repeated on a redundant scale.

I know what pagea was , but since it is said to have broken up 197 million years before humans even evolved, I don't see how anybody could share it as an event common to humanity. Our ancestors probably still looked like squirrels back then.

So a little elaboration seems in order.

I know what pagea was , but since it is said to have broken up 197 million years before humans even evolved, I don't see how anybody could share it as an event common to humanity. Our ancestors probably still looked like squirrels back then. So a little elaboration seems in order.

Truly we cannot know when, with certainty, humans did evolve.

The popular evidence is that we arent as old as pangea, but the heartfelt truth wins every time with me, even if it later proves to be inaccurate.

But a creation myth/story including pangea and calling it "turtle island" speaks 10,000 truths more than evolution evidence found in unearthed bones.

I am not going to call it impossible to suggest humans evolved 200 million years before we have scientific evidence to prove.

Evidence can be destroyed.

• Like 1

Dude that sounds like paranoia .

If you want to throw all scientifically demonstated facts into the b.s. pile,

Then pangea goes right in there as well along with computers and phones.

So where is turtle island anr how long has it been since people evolve there,,

Oh wait, the only answers have to come from scientific enquiry !

Lets say there was a continent sized turtle island, why should anybody remember that?

Let alone be aware of its being an island in the first place?

People can have archetypal imagery, but it doesn't mean that it is an accurate source of data about evolution or techtonics. Thats why science was invented.. to separate the wheat from the subjective speculative chaff.

• Like 1

Onne can never know all the facts we learn with certainty, but a reasonable person tries to accept the best explanation based facts and communal corroboration.

Whether or not one can prove there are no bigfoots,

OR say that there are bigfoots both require evidence in some form.

Evidence can only be used if one considers the rules of the universe to work in the same way and consistently over time.

For everyone .

• Like 1

dont take it personally dude, wow. ouch. pardon me for having an irrational and unbelievable perspective that refuses to conform to acedemic and popular scientific analysis.

It ain't you personally , its rehashing the idea that fact is not subjective on the level of fantasy.

Does one really have to explain why folks can't fly ?

I thought you were going to make some better point than science is all trickery.

But that option off the table. So be it. But it derails what would be interesting talk.sorry about the excessive emotion.

Edited by Stosh

well i can admit the rules of the universe are definitely consistent, but i wont withdraw that the rules can and more than likely do change, specifically beyond our present understanding of the rules themselves, let alone the rules about their changing.

Omniversiality might not be mechanically or industrially resourceful, but storytelling produces greater fruits than computer programming.

One has the power to represent ideas in 2-D, the other has the power to represent entire ways of life, in whatever dimension the imagination occupies.

To cut the head off and watch the body fall: imagination or reason? which is more valuable to the spirit? Which is more valuable to civilization? Balancing spirituality and civility does not mean conforming to reason or resisting it with fantasy, but finding meeting points for both.

All major cultures have had stories about a world tree/of life/knowledge, a great deluge, a great revelation, apocalypse, or prophecy, and to my knowledge, they also share a megalithic continental origin or other form of isolated worldliness.

Stories are holding to the test of time far better than the contents of the stories themselves.

I never said archtypes have no value either.

It is just that I know for fact that folks come back down to earth to put their pants on.

Every darn day , they confront the physical laws and just like me they must conform to them.

What laws of the universe don't hold constant, and how would you know that comprehendingly if they didnt?

I am posting various questions to prove my point since you can't answer and keep up the train you are on. But ill leave you the last word.

Edited by Stosh

I never said archtypes have no value either.

It is just that I know for fact that folks come back down to earth to put their pants on.

Every darn day , they confront the physical laws and just like me they must conform to them.

What laws of the universe don't hold constant, and how would you know that comprehendingly if they didnt?

I am posting various questions to prove my point since you can't answer and keep up the train you are on. But ill leave you the last word.

it is illogical and irrational to believe in "impossibilities" or that the whole sum total of all of reality conforms to our observations.

the fool whom claims he can not only percieve and watch the games of the gods but outright participate will have no evidence of his incredible and fantastic experiences, but the wise man whom has equal familiarity with these games; simply nods his head and smiles.

If you could see through reality, from one end to the other without obstruction, you'd be making maddening claims too.

P.S. Atlantis is probably Antarctica. didnt I4M spam an atlanteans versus lemurians propaganda kick a few years back?

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

Sign in to follow this