Flolfolil

Do a google image search for "yoga injury"

you will get a lot of strange results.

some not so weird. keep scrolling.

sorry if this doesn't belong in general. lol

I have not done a search for this - but I am aware that many strokes every year can be attributed to yoga practice/meditation practice.

The notion that you should not move from a painful position is nonsense and dangerous. Head stands are also able to create problems - (I used to do them everyday).

No something talked about much.

Sport "Yoga" is not yoga but has become so much of what is thought to be Yoga here in the West.

the search results have barely anything involved with actual yoga injuries. most are just funny joke yoga pictures :P

Search pictures for "Russian Yoga " and have fun. :D

490fg196jw8yjwhx.jpg

xaurmf053a91tmhs.jpg

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

I don't find these pictures funny, they're just humiliating someone in a bad situation. Really poor taste in my opinion.

Aaron

I don't find these pictures funny, they're just humiliating someone in a bad situation. Really poor taste in my opinion.

Aaron

You are taking it to serious. I personally do not have any feeling of pity to these people as it would be self-pity what is indulging according to Castaneda's terminology. They knew what alcohol did to them and they continued anyway. And how do you know they are in bad situation? May be it their way to relax?

• Like 1

Aaron

either everything is cool to laugh at or nothing is ;)

Searched as requested and I got this :-

screen-shot-2012-01-10-at-5-35-38-pm.png

well that was after scrolling down a bit :P but it's the image I found most interesting ...

Thought this was funy

yoga-injury.gif

and THIS one the most important

402344_10150505464927988_60086777987_865

You are taking it to serious. I personally do not have any feeling of pity to these people as it would be self-pity what is indulging according to Castaneda's terminology. They knew what alcohol did to them and they continued anyway. And how do you know they are in bad situation? May be it their way to relax?

Castaneda was a cult leader and fraud. I can't take anything he has to say seriously. However I will post Chapter 27 of the Tao Te Ching which applies to what I am saying here...

Good walking leaves no track behind it;

Good speech leaves no mark to be picked at;

Good calculation makes no use of counting-slips;

Good shutting makes no use of bolt and bar,

And yet nobody can undo it;

Good tying makes no use of rope and knot,

And yet nobody can untie it.

Hence, the Sage is always good at saving men,

And therefore nobody is abandoned;

Always good at saving things,

And therefore nothing is wasted.

This is called "following the guidance of the Inner

Light."

Hence, good men are teachers of bad men,

While bad men are the charge of good men.

Not to revere one's teacher,

Not to cherish one's charge,

Is to be on the wrong road, however intelligent one

may be.

This is an essential tenet of the Tao.

So when we look at these men we should cherish them as our charges and our teachers, for they are both. What would the Buddha have to say about this? Or even more importantly the Yogi masters? Do you think they would find these pictures to be as clever and humorous as others do? I think you are missing the important message in this, these men are suffering and there is no justification for taking pleasure in another's suffering. To turn the blame on them, is only a way of removing the blame you feel in this. These pictures are in poor taste according to every tradition I can think of.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

So when we look at these men we should cherish them as our charges and our teachers, for they are both. What would the Buddha have to say about this?

I am not buddhist. There are many teachings in the world. Some of them saying that world is suffering. But this is only the way to explain, just words. Yes, there is suffering in the world, I agree. But I prefer to laugh when I see something funny. One would prefer to cry. This is their choice. And Don Juan said it is just your choice to laugh or to cry. And I personally do not care about any old teaching. If you would start reading all of them you will go nuts. I do not say to laugh when you see someone's suffering. But this is funny because this is just funny. I myself used to work in Russia 10 years ago and it was normal there to come to work being drunk. I do not exaggerate saying that many many people were coming to work drunk and were drinking at work and after work. And I saw it myself how people did it and even were sleeping at work and how another people were laughing at them sometime. Sometime it is comical. It was drunker's choice to drink even when there were said many times to halt drinking. They drink because they are suffering. But I do not laugh at suffering but I laugh when I see something funny. We had many funny stories there with drunks and they were laughing to. World is tragedy and comedy at the same time.

These pictures are in poor taste

This is judgement.

But i am not making fun of them, or laughing at their misfortune. i am laughing at their postures. Not once when i laughed at this did i think "oh what a drunken loser" NOT ONCE. If i got fucked up and layed down in some funky position, and someone took a picture of me and laughed about it i would certainly laugh with them. Most drunk people laugh at their silly stuff they do. How about you let the people in the pictures do the judging of what is cool and not cool and stop acting like you are so high and better than people who are having a harmless laugh.

So when we look at these men we should cherish them as our charges and our teachers, for they are both. What would the Buddha have to say about this?

I am not buddhist. There are many teachings in the world. Some of them saying that world is suffering. But this is only the way to explain, just words. Yes, there is suffering in the world, I agree. But I prefer to laugh when I see something funny. One would prefer to cry. This is their choice. And Don Juan said it is just your choice to laugh or to cry. And I personally do not care about any old teaching. If you would start reading all of them you will go nuts. I do not say to laugh when you see someone's suffering. But this is funny because this is just funny. I myself used to work in Russia 10 years ago and it was normal there to come to work being drunk. I do not exaggerate saying that many many people were coming to work drunk and were drinking at work and after work. And I saw it myself how people did it and even were sleeping at work and how another people were laughing at them sometime. Sometime it is comical. It was drunker's choice to drink even when there were said many times to halt drinking. They drink because they are suffering. But I do not laugh at suffering but I laugh when I see something funny. We had many funny stories there with drunks and they were laughing to. World is tragedy and comedy at the same time.

These pictures are in poor taste

This is judgement.

Don Juan didn't exist and Carlos Castenada was a cult leader and fraud. Several weeks after he died one of his "harem" members died, presumably she committed suicide, but it may have been murder. When you learn how absolutely controlling he was, you realize he was nothing more than another Jim Jones in the making, except he wasn't as charismatic. If you're using his teachings to justify your behavior, then I would genuinely suggest finding something else to follow. It is common knowledge now that the vast majority of what he wrote about was fictitious and never really happened. I understand you might not be up on all the details, but when you get a chance read the wikipedia article on Carlos Castenada.

As far as judgement, everything is judgement. Try to get through a day without making one. The ideal is not to make a judgement based on preconceived notions of morality, ideology, or religiosity, but rather on the effects your actions have on others. Ask yourself, how would this person feel knowing this picture was presented in this way? How would you feel if it was you or even your brother in the picture?

Aaron

Don Juan didn't exist and Carlos Castenada was a cult leader and fraud.

Some people say that Jesus did not exist. Another ones say that Buddha's teaching was distorted and he had never created buddhism. But you believe to what they write about suffer and repeat their words that world is suffering. I think this affects your way of thinking. Osho told people many anecdotes. According to your point of view there can't be anything funny because according to buddhism everybody in suffer except Buddha. The very first buddhism words: Life is suffering.

But I say that I do not care what buddhism is saying. That is someone's belief. I prefer to believe in Don Juan. But this is actually not my point. In that circumstances funny is not people drunk BUT that BEING drunk people's bodies found positions which might helped them to relax IN THAT TIME and in THAT circumstances. May be it was only the way to restore body after alcohol intake. You chosen to concentrate on the bad side of coin but I prefer to see funny side of it. And I do not propose take alcohol and such the yoga. But may be for them it was natural posture in that time and space

Ask yourself, how would this person feel knowing this picture was presented in this way? How would you feel if it was you or even your brother in the picture?

I myself used to drink and got drunk many times. And we had funny "drunk" episodes with friends. And no one was offended that someone was joking or doing some silly things until it made harm to others.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 1

Don Juan didn't exist and Carlos Castenada was a cult leader and fraud.

Some people say that Jesus did not exist. Another ones say that Buddha's teaching was distorted and he had never created buddhism. But you believe to what they write about suffer and repeat their words that world is suffering. I think this affects your way of thinking. Osho told people many anecdotes. According to your point of view there can't be anything funny because according to buddhism everybody in suffer except Buddha. The very first buddhism words: Life is suffering.

But I say that I do not care what buddhism is saying. That is someone's belief. I prefer to believe in Don Juan. But this is actually not my point. In that circumstances funny is not people drunk BUT that BEING drunk people's bodies found positions which might helped them to relax IN THAT TIME and in THAT circumstances. May be it was only the way to restore body after alcohol intake. You chosen to concentrate on the bad side of coin but I prefer to see funny side of it. And I do not propose take alcohol and such the yoga. But may be for them it was natural posture in that time and space

You're using semantics to justify finding humor in someone else's humiliation. I'm done arguing about this. Anyone can believe what they want, but you've failed to validate anything you've said. Essentially you're taking the stance that you can do whatever you want because you feel like it. Fine, but see how far that gets you in the real world.

Aaron

You're using semantics to justify finding humor in someone else's humiliation.

Humiliation? Why do think this is humiliation? There are many funny photos and videos over the internet where people are in funny circumstances. And you are saying I am failed to justify this. But I do not have to justify that humor does exists. I understand if someone sick or was killed by accident and this is not funny at all but if somebody got drunk and relax I do not have to justify it.

Fine, but see how far that gets you in the real world

Now you want to say that I will be punished because.... of what? Because someone religion is too serious? :o:blink:

I think that many yoga injuries are actually caused by competitiveness and bruised egos. Younger, more athletic people go to a class at a yoga studio, and then see grandmothers performing the asanas better than they can. Not realizing that gran may have been doing this for forty years or more, they try to push beyond their natural limitations to try to keep up with her, and wind up getting hurt. I might be speaking from experience! ;) Good yoga teachers will keep an eye out for this happening in their class, and urge students to focus on their own practice and to respect their own limits.