Sign in to follow this  
silas

Can The Pope, Cardinals Or Priests Do Yoga?

Do they jog or exercise? I do not remember seeing an paparazzi pictures of any priests, cardinals or popes jogging.

No, they're all secretly jellyfish in elaborate disguises. They can't move around too much or the seawater starts leaking from their costumes.

Edited by Seeker of the Self
  • Like 1

Can The Pope, Cardinals Or Priests Do Yoga?

Only if they're flexible :).

Edited by thelerner

Can they work out at a gym? Can they lift weights and build muscle? These aren't frivolous questions. Would a pope or any clergy who decided to bulk up like Arnold Schwarzenegger offend the church?

Many Churches ban yoga from being taught so I don't think any Kardinals would practice it, its viewed as a Hindu practice by many.

Many priests do what the Catholic church calls "contemplative prayer". It is essentially silent, no thought meditation. It is considered the "highest" form of prayer (not asking for things, but just "waiting and listening").

Best wishes, Jeff

Many priests do what the Catholic church calls "contemplative prayer". It is essentially silent, no thought meditation. It is considered the "highest" form of prayer (not asking for things, but just "waiting and listening").

There have been Christian mystics who experienced kundalini, they just called it 'incendium amoris'. Also, if you read The Song of Solomon, it seems to be about opening the heart chakra and various chi circulation that result.

I suspect a few Sufis and Christian mystics got, through correct cultivation, to real deep insights beyond theism; and sadly couldn't say exactly what they realised for fear of stoning and the stake...

Edited by Seeker of the Self

Many Churches ban yoga from being taught so I don't think any Kardinals would practice it, its viewed as a Hindu practice by many.

Ok so if many church's ban yoga could you just name 1? We are talking about catholic church's here because the question was about the pope and cardinals. There are many different christian church's and some are extemists like the "God hates fags" group lets not lump them all together. The simple answer to the question is of course clergy members in the catholic church can practice yoga. I am sure there are different views on yoga within the catholic church just as their are different views and opinions on yoga among amercan citizens or any other group.

As a former catholic I never heard it was frowned upon to do yoga or to meditate. So long as it wasn't done "for other gods" it wouldn't matter.

I don't think a priest would dedicate their free time to anything other than praying. And that other thing they're infamous for...

Good article it states the ban is not part of catholic church policy. It also states yoga is used in some catholic church retreats. This should answer the original posters question. I wonder if muslims can practice yoga? Maybe there are some in India that practice? I always wondered this because there are so many muslims in India and yoga is such common part of the culture. Or is it seen as taboo?

Sign in to follow this