Apech

Emerald Tablet

Here is something I wrote a while ago about the Alchemical Text "The Emerald Tablet":

Emerald.pdf

hope you enjoy it ... please feel free to comment, query or criticise.

Apech

• Like 5

" 'Learn to separate the fine from the coarse'—this principle from the 'Emerald Tablets of Hermes Trismegistus' refers to the work of the human factory, and if a man learns to 'separate the fine from the coarse,' that is, if he brings the production of the fine 'hydrogens' to its possible maximum, he will by this very fact create for himself the possibility of an inner growth which can be brought about by no other means.

"Ordinary man has only the physical body. The physical body dies and nothing is left of it. The physical body is composed of earthly material and at death it returns to earth. It is dust and to dust it returns. It is impossible to talk of any kind of 'immortality' for a man of this sort. But if a man has the second body" (he placed the second body on the diagram parallel to the planets), "this second body is composed of material of the planetary world and it can survive the death of the physical body. It is not immortal in the full sense of the word, because after a certain period of time it also dies. But at any rate it does not die with the physical body.
"If a man has the third body" (he placed the third body on the diagram parallel to the sun), "it is composed of material of the sun and it can exist after the death of the 'astral' body.
"The fourth body is composed of material of the starry world, that is, of material that does not belong to the solar system, and therefore, if it has crystallized within the limits of the solar system there is nothing within this system that could destroy it. This means that a man possessing the fourth body is immortal within the limits of the solar system.
"The process of transforming the substances which enter the organism into finer ones is governed by the law of octaves.
"Let us take the human organism in the form of a three-story factory. The upper floor of this factory consists of a man's head; the middle floor, of the chest; and the lower, of the stomach, back, and the lower part of the body.
"All the substances necessary for the maintenance of the life of the organism, for psychic work, for the higher functions of consciousness and the growth of the higher bodies, are produced by the organism from the food which enters it from outside
"The human organism receives three kinds of food
1. The ordinary food we eat
2. The air we breathe
3. Our impressions
"It is not difficult to agree that air is a kind of food for the organism. But in what way impressions can be food may appear at first difficult to understand. We must however remember that, with every external impression, whether it takes the form of sound, or vision, or smell, we receive from outside a certain amount of energy, a certain number of vibrations, this energy which enters the organism from outside is food. Moreover, as has been said before, energy cannot be transmitted without matter. If an external impression brings external energy with it into the organism it means that external matter also enters which feeds the organism in the full meaning of the term
"There is, however, a possibility of increasing the output, that is, of enabling the air octave and the impression octave to develop further. For this purpose it is necessary to create a special kind of 'artificial shock' at the point where the beginning of the third octave is arrested. This means that the 'artificial shock' must be applied to the note do 48.
"But what is meant by an 'artificial shock'? It is connected with the moment of the reception of an impression. The note do 48 designates the moment when an impression enters our consciousness. An 'artificial shock' at this point means a certain kind of effort made at the moment of receiving an impression.
"It has been explained before that in ordinary conditions of life we do not remember ourselves; we do not remember, that is, we do not feel ourselves, are not aware of ourselves at the moment of a perception, of an emotion, of a thought or of an action. If a man understands this and tries to remember himself, every impression he receives while remembering himself will, so to speak, be doubled. In an ordinary psychic state I simply look at a street. But if I remember myself, I do not simply look at the street; I feel that I am looking, as though saying to myself: 'I am looking.' Instead of one impression of the street there are two impressions, one of the street and another of myself looking at it. This second impression, produced by the fact of my remembering myself, is the 'additional shock.'
Moreover, it very often happens that the additional sensation connected with self-remembering brings with it an element of emotion, that is, the work of the machine attracts a certain amount of 'carbon' 12 to the place in question. Efforts to remember oneself, observation of oneself at the moment of receiving an impression, observation of one's impressions at the moment of receiving them, registering, so to speak, the reception of impressions and the simultaneous defining of the impressions received, all this taken together doubles the intensity of the impressions and carries do 48 to re 24. At the same time the effort connected with the transition of one note to another and the passage of 48 itself to 24 enables do 48 of the third octave to come into contact with mi 48 of the second octave and to give this note the requisite amount of energy necessary for the transition of mi to fa. In this way the 'shock' given to do 48 extends also to mi 48 and enables the second octave to develop.

"For the two octaves to develop further, a second conscious shock is needed at a certain point in the machine, a new conscious effort is necessary which will enable the two octaves to continue their development. The nature of this effort demands special study. From the point of view of the general work of the machine it can be said in general that this effort is connected with the emotional life, that it is a special kind of influence over one's emotions. But what this kind of influence really is, and how it has to be produced, can be explained only in connection with a general description of the work of the human factory or the human machine.
"The practice of not expressing unpleasant emotions, of not 'identifying,' of not 'considering inwardly,' is the preparation for the second effort.
"In order to understand the analogy between man, the human organism, and the universe, let us take the world as we did before in the form of three octaves from the Absolute to the sun, from the sun to the earth, and from the earth to the moon. Each of these three octaves lacks a semitone between fa and mi and in each octave the place of this missing semitone is taken by a certain kind of 'shock' which is created artificially at the given point. If we now begin to look for an analogy between the three-story factory and the three octaves of the universe, we ought to realize that the three 'additional shocks' in the three octaves of the universe correspond to the three kinds of food entering the human organism. The 'shock' in the lower octave corresponds to physical food; this 'shock' is do 768 of the cosmic three-story factory. The 'shock' in the middle octave corresponds to air. It is do 192 of the cosmic factory. The 'shock' in the upper octave corresponds to impressions; it is do 48 of the cosmic factory. In the inner work of this cosmic three-story factory all three kinds of food undergo the same transformation as in the human factory, on the same plan and in accordance with the same laws. A further study of the analogy between man and the universe is possible only after an exact study of the human machine and after the respective 'places' of each of the 'hydrogens' in our organism has been established exactly. This means that to proceed with any further study we must find the exact purpose of each 'hydrogen,' that is to say, each 'hydrogen' must be defined chemically, psychologically, physiologically, and anatomically, in other words, its functions, its place in the human organism, and, if possible, the peculiar sensations connected with it must be defined.
  • Like 2

:o

Are you published?

I'll have a decent critique soon

How soon?

" 'Learn to separate the fine from the coarse'—this principle from the 'Emerald Tablets of Hermes Trismegistus' refers to the work of the human factory, and if a man learns to 'separate the fine from the coarse,' that is, if he brings the production of the fine 'hydrogens' to its possible maximum, he will by this very fact create for himself the possibility of an inner growth which can be brought about by no other means.

"Ordinary man has only the physical body. The physical body dies and nothing is left of it. The physical body is composed of earthly material and at death it returns to earth. It is dust and to dust it returns. It is impossible to talk of any kind of 'immortality' for a man of this sort. But if a man has the second body" (he placed the second body on the diagram parallel to the planets), "this second body is composed of material of the planetary world and it can survive the death of the physical body. It is not immortal in the full sense of the word, because after a certain period of time it also dies. But at any rate it does not die with the physical body.
"If a man has the third body" (he placed the third body on the diagram parallel to the sun), "it is composed of material of the sun and it can exist after the death of the 'astral' body.
"The fourth body is composed of material of the starry world, that is, of material that does not belong to the solar system, and therefore, if it has crystallized within the limits of the solar system there is nothing within this system that could destroy it. This means that a man possessing the fourth body is immortal within the limits of the solar system.
"The process of transforming the substances which enter the organism into finer ones is governed by the law of octaves.
"Let us take the human organism in the form of a three-story factory. The upper floor of this factory consists of a man's head; the middle floor, of the chest; and the lower, of the stomach, back, and the lower part of the body.
"All the substances necessary for the maintenance of the life of the organism, for psychic work, for the higher functions of consciousness and the growth of the higher bodies, are produced by the organism from the food which enters it from outside
"The human organism receives three kinds of food
1. The ordinary food we eat
2. The air we breathe
3. Our impressions
"It is not difficult to agree that air is a kind of food for the organism. But in what way impressions can be food may appear at first difficult to understand. We must however remember that, with every external impression, whether it takes the form of sound, or vision, or smell, we receive from outside a certain amount of energy, a certain number of vibrations, this energy which enters the organism from outside is food. Moreover, as has been said before, energy cannot be transmitted without matter. If an external impression brings external energy with it into the organism it means that external matter also enters which feeds the organism in the full meaning of the term
"There is, however, a possibility of increasing the output, that is, of enabling the air octave and the impression octave to develop further. For this purpose it is necessary to create a special kind of 'artificial shock' at the point where the beginning of the third octave is arrested. This means that the 'artificial shock' must be applied to the note do 48.
"But what is meant by an 'artificial shock'? It is connected with the moment of the reception of an impression. The note do 48 designates the moment when an impression enters our consciousness. An 'artificial shock' at this point means a certain kind of effort made at the moment of receiving an impression.
"It has been explained before that in ordinary conditions of life we do not remember ourselves; we do not remember, that is, we do not feel ourselves, are not aware of ourselves at the moment of a perception, of an emotion, of a thought or of an action. If a man understands this and tries to remember himself, every impression he receives while remembering himself will, so to speak, be doubled. In an ordinary psychic state I simply look at a street. But if I remember myself, I do not simply look at the street; I feel that I am looking, as though saying to myself: 'I am looking.' Instead of one impression of the street there are two impressions, one of the street and another of myself looking at it. This second impression, produced by the fact of my remembering myself, is the 'additional shock.'
Moreover, it very often happens that the additional sensation connected with self-remembering brings with it an element of emotion, that is, the work of the machine attracts a certain amount of 'carbon' 12 to the place in question. Efforts to remember oneself, observation of oneself at the moment of receiving an impression, observation of one's impressions at the moment of receiving them, registering, so to speak, the reception of impressions and the simultaneous defining of the impressions received, all this taken together doubles the intensity of the impressions and carries do 48 to re 24. At the same time the effort connected with the transition of one note to another and the passage of 48 itself to 24 enables do 48 of the third octave to come into contact with mi 48 of the second octave and to give this note the requisite amount of energy necessary for the transition of mi to fa. In this way the 'shock' given to do 48 extends also to mi 48 and enables the second octave to develop.

"For the two octaves to develop further, a second conscious shock is needed at a certain point in the machine, a new conscious effort is necessary which will enable the two octaves to continue their development. The nature of this effort demands special study. From the point of view of the general work of the machine it can be said in general that this effort is connected with the emotional life, that it is a special kind of influence over one's emotions. But what this kind of influence really is, and how it has to be produced, can be explained only in connection with a general description of the work of the human factory or the human machine.
"The practice of not expressing unpleasant emotions, of not 'identifying,' of not 'considering inwardly,' is the preparation for the second effort.
"In order to understand the analogy between man, the human organism, and the universe, let us take the world as we did before in the form of three octaves from the Absolute to the sun, from the sun to the earth, and from the earth to the moon. Each of these three octaves lacks a semitone between fa and mi and in each octave the place of this missing semitone is taken by a certain kind of 'shock' which is created artificially at the given point. If we now begin to look for an analogy between the three-story factory and the three octaves of the universe, we ought to realize that the three 'additional shocks' in the three octaves of the universe correspond to the three kinds of food entering the human organism. The 'shock' in the lower octave corresponds to physical food; this 'shock' is do 768 of the cosmic three-story factory. The 'shock' in the middle octave corresponds to air. It is do 192 of the cosmic factory. The 'shock' in the upper octave corresponds to impressions; it is do 48 of the cosmic factory. In the inner work of this cosmic three-story factory all three kinds of food undergo the same transformation as in the human factory, on the same plan and in accordance with the same laws. A further study of the analogy between man and the universe is possible only after an exact study of the human machine and after the respective 'places' of each of the 'hydrogens' in our organism has been established exactly. This means that to proceed with any further study we must find the exact purpose of each 'hydrogen,' that is to say, each 'hydrogen' must be defined chemically, psychologically, physiologically, and anatomically, in other words, its functions, its place in the human organism, and, if possible, the peculiar sensations connected with it must be defined.

Where are all these quotes from?

I don't know about the specific quotes, but the general approach is "Fourth Way", i.e. Gurdjieff/Ouspensky and their intellectual/spiritual offspring. I remember it from when I was teenager in the 60s.

Doreal's channeled 'Emerald tablets' have nothing to do with the actual emerald tablet.

Doreal was part of the early new thought movement, or what is now called 'new age' and he created his own brand of mysticism/occultism, and good for him. But I believe he is a fraud and conscious off it.

Claiming his Emerald tablets are the real ones, from 36k bc and even writing in 'Atlantean' language on it to make it look authentic should ring alarm bells.

The real Emerald tablets on the other hand, have a solid footing in history. When Egypt was the great centre of learning, sages from around the world travelled to it to learn and discuss with other sages. They would marvel at its emerald appearance, and muse about what it was made of. These thoughts made it into history.

Also rubbing's were taken, and translations were made and carried back home in many diverse languages - Arabic, Greek, Chinese and so on... From these records {over a couple of hundred years if I remember correctly} it is fairly certain what the emerald Tablet said.

Unfortunately the Emerald tablets themselves have not been seen since the time the Christians burnt down the Library of Alexandria. My bet is some Egyptian priest hid them or that the Catholics have them secure under the Vatican somewhere ~ Hey dan brown is not the only one allowed to imagine :P

Anyway despite that loss, we still know what they said.

And it is nothing to do with Doreal.

• Like 1

Ya know when it comes to energetic languages and scriptures that have a divine blessing or charge. You can actually lay the text on your body and healing can occur. I call this the laying of words :)

Ya know when it comes to energetic languages and scriptures that have a divine blessing or charge. You can actually lay the text on your body and healing can occur. I call this the laying of words :)

I did this at one point. I made myself a FU - although not a 'proper' one but it was good enough at the time.

• Like 1

I just happened onto this thread. Wow. There is so much to comment on, this conversation could go on for years.

First of all, Apeche, your introduction and description of the history of The Emerald Tablet is astounding. What I read is a combined interplay of your own self-realization with your head knowledge on the subject. I applaud you for your knowledge and your realization.

Your comment about technology advancing in times of stress, war, or change....how true this sounds. and how very Modern Day it is for our society to see this as 'backwards' because man was living in sync with the land, with the elements, and that 'no new technology' was created. It seems as though the totality of human development has been geared to how to get away from the elements, how to insulate ourselves from the weather and from each other. When one takes the outlier overview and grasps the reality of this tendency throughout the generations, then how terrible would it be for our worldly economy and lifestyle to suddenly collapse? (Jeez, I'll probably have the FBI at my house tomorrow) Sure, many would not survive. But, to put it as a Christian might say it, perhaps this is the time for the "meek to inherit the earth". It sure seems like that's what's happening sometimes - The Arab spring, the lower and middle classes rising up everywhere to try and upend the ridiculous disparity of what our society is today; those that have everything and those that have nothing. It can't go on like this.

As to your comments of the Nag Hammadi - I'm on my second reading of those scriptures. Surely your statement is spot on when you say 'Indeed hermeticism is really the answer to those who ask what happened to the wisdom of the ancient world when the new age of Christianity effectively wiped out the old religion and closed all the temples.

To me, this is the point of the Nag Hammadi scriptures. The books that were spirited away contain many other gospels; the gospel of James, of Thomas (referred to as Jesus' twin!...or maybe that was James, it was one of the two). The point of the words of Jesus in all of these scriptures is not Hey! Worship me! Only through me can you get there! Don't forget to celebrate my birthday this december!. Rather, his words instruct the individual how to attain individual enlightenment! He talks mainly of self-realization.

This was not what the Church of Rome was interested in spreading to the citizenry. Better they're kept in line by a guilt structure like Christianity.

Again, thank you Apeche. I didn't even realize this little corner was here.

Wow.

Again, thank you Apeche. I didn't even realize this little corner was here.

Wow.

de nada.

.... concerning the Egypt/Atlantis issue :

I tend to use the orthodox (i.e. currently accepted scientific view of human history) ... but only because if I write for wide audience then it avoids unnecessary controversy cos the ideas still fit. But of course its obvious that this orthodox view will and must change ... sites like Gobekli Tepe and Nabta Playa show that skills like building with stone were around close to the end of the ice age and it is almost certain I think that sooner or later this will be pushed back even further opening the door to Atlantis and other lost civilisations. To the ancients this knowledge (the Emerald Tablet and so on) was termed Ante-Diluvian ... i.e. pre-flood. If we view the flood itself as a record of the massive rise in seas levels accompanying the end of the ice age then it seems they are saying the same thing ... that is the priests of Egypt, Sumeria, Indus Valley and China were heirs to a more ancient knowledge from before the Ice Age of which we now have fragments.

"In truth, certainly, and without doubt whatever is below is like that which is above, and whatever is above is like that this is below, to accomplish the miracles of one thing."

How can it be said better than this? It's hard to separate in our minds that 'above' and 'below' are not two physically different places. It's all One. We have 'above' and 'below' contained within us; our lower selves and our upper selves. Our higher self, the One. The same One that you have in you. So, it also seems to be saying that in order to perform miracles or things extraordinary, the two must be fully merged to accomplish this. We must know exactly Who We Are.

There is a healing thread going in General Discussion and it addresses the 'mindset' that we use to achieve healing ('miracles') in ourselves or others. We dance around it, unable to quite put our fingers on it. How do we actually go about merging the upper with the lower? Certainly the more meditative mindset we can stay in....it becomes a question of Awareness, that's all. But in order to get to the Awareness of Clarity, which is prevented by our own inner glarls getting in the way, one needs to develop a type of 'christ consciousness' where we can stand apart from ourselves and see ourselves in our own state of twistedness from the input we've received from birth; then it becomes necessary to mindfully unravel our gnarls, no matter how painful or humiliating that may be.

It is then that clarity can be achieved, and to "accomplish the miracles of one thing."

"And just as all things proceed from the One, meditated by the One, so all things are born from this one thing by adaptation"

Adaptation. When cells start to divide in a fetus, all cells are the same. It is by adaptation from generations past and future function that the cells, when they are developing in different parts of the embryo, that the appearance of the cell changes. Cells that line up to be bone turn into bone cells; cells for the heart; cells for the blood, cells for everything. But they all started out JUST THE SAME. This is done by adaptation. I think this is just sheer magic.

As it's all actually happening here and now, adaptation would be an illusion. It's just that here and now takes its sweet time.

• Like 1

I just had another thought. Apech, I was re-reading your analysis of this same quotation about adaptation, and you turned your thoughts to alchemy. I recently read a very metaphysical alchemical treatise, but I can't remember who the author was. It may have been Manley Hall in his Secret Teachings of All Ages. He (or whosever it was) is of the opinion that in order to master the physical alchemy, one must master self first, inner alchemy. Is this your understanding as well? Does a person have no chance in hell of transmuting lead into gold before he transmutes his inner self into gold as well?

I just had another thought. Apech, I was re-reading your analysis of this same quotation about adaptation, and you turned your thoughts to alchemy. I recently read a very metaphysical alchemical treatise, but I can't remember who the author was. It may have been Manley Hall in his Secret Teachings of All Ages. He (or whosever it was) is of the opinion that in order to master the physical alchemy, one must master self first, inner alchemy. Is this your understanding as well? Does a person have no chance in hell of transmuting lead into gold before he transmutes his inner self into gold as well?

As above, so below. The difference between alchemy and chemistry is the inclusion of spirit/consciousness in the process. So actually even though I would guess most of us prefer to concentrate on inner alchemy (including me) ultimately there is no difference. Mastering one's self of course would be essential to either approach. Its an alchemical universe ... in that we exist in a field of dynamic interacting energy .... everything connected ... everything inter-connected ... good way to view things I think :)

• Like 2

apech - As long as I've got you on the phone - I have another question. In this same book, there is mention of multiplication as it pertains to alchemy. As in.....the roof of Solomon's temple was gilded by the process of multiplication, an alchemical concept apparently. I've read elsewhere that some pyramids were gilded by the process of multiplication.

I find this interesting, this multiplication thing - I've been thinking about it lately. Say the Nazarene was an actual historical person, and he actually fed a historical crowd from a basket of one historical fish. The only way he could have done this was by some little known Essene process of multiplication. Or maybe he turned water into wine by multiplication, if a small amount of wine was introduced to a large vat of water.

Does this follow with any of your prior studies?

apech - As long as I've got you on the phone - I have another question. In this same book, there is mention of multiplication as it pertains to alchemy. As in.....the roof of Solomon's temple was gilded by the process of multiplication, an alchemical concept apparently. I've read elsewhere that some pyramids were gilded by the process of multiplication.

I find this interesting, this multiplication thing - I've been thinking about it lately. Say the Nazarene was an actual historical person, and he actually fed a historical crowd from a basket of one historical fish. The only way he could have done this was by some little known Essene process of multiplication. Or maybe he turned water into wine by multiplication, if a small amount of wine was introduced to a large vat of water.

Does this follow with any of your prior studies?

As I understand it one of the properties of the 'one thing' ...i.e. the philosophers stone is that not only is it perfect in itself but it perfects anything it comes into contact with ... thus it perfects base metal by converting it to gold and in this sense multiplies the gold.

Not sure about jesus and the fish ... in fact wasn't it two fishes and five loaves?

I haven't a clue. Maybe he served fish hors dourves on the loaves and the multitude was happy, lol.

"everything connected ... everything inter-connected ... good way to view things I think "

This one has my personal preference.