Sign in to follow this  
daojones

How to Learn a New Language

Im interested in learning a new language and was looking for input from our community on the most effective and efficient way of learning. I'm interested in any methodologies, as well as tips/tricks you have used to help you learn quickly.

I really like memory methodologies as described in the book moonwalking with einstein.

It depends on the person's age really. The Rosetta Stone program is great for CHILDREN up to the age of about 12. For adults I highly recommend Fluenz or Pimsleur. Also, empty your cup, foreign languages can have concepts that are completely foreign to your native language. Languages within your native tongue's linguistic group should be easier to learn than those completely outside.

• Like 1

Immersion's the quickest for an age but expensive of time and money.

After that any programme that engages visual, auditory and maybe motor domains will work better than a purely auditory or AV programme so a language class incorporating activities with others is a great booster.

The older you are the harder it is to learn a new language from scratch.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I found looking at additional grammar and sounds from other languages helpful to realize how much is taken for granted about sentence structure and word order, and the way vowel sounds can vary drastically between languages. Getting over the sounds, and word order, habit is important. The muscles in your face and mouth need to adapt too.

• Like 1

I learnt a bit of chinese, enough to get around alright, and i lived in China for 2.5 years. The first one year i didn't try too hard to learn anything and learnt nothing. Just being in the environment isn't the answer, you need to work hard and practice.

Bit by bit. Learn some words that you use often then practice those, then build up vocab slowly, but you gotta always practice it and recall the words or you forget.

Languages are very hard to learn and very easy to forget :P

Each language has its particularities, and challenging aspects. For example the declinations in German or Slavic languages, the script and the conceptual dissimilarities in Chinese, the pronunciation in French, etc.. Each person has particular strengths and weaknesses when it comes to learning, some find it easy to learn by ear, some like to grind away in grammar books, some need teachers and exams for motivation. You can use the language learning to learn new skills at learning, such as training your ear or mouth muscles.

Its a mistake to think that one size fits all. What language are you wanting to learn? Each has an efficient strategy. For many reasons, finding a native speaker private tutor, though it seems expensive, is the best option--if you are motivated as a learner, not just a consumer who demands "teach me" What good is a fancy expensive course like rosetta or doing backwards moonwalking 5000 if you are a dilletante?

Edited by de_paradise

Sign in to follow this