Audiohealing

The field effect and the burden of responsibility for our thoughts and emotions

I've been struggling with something quite a bit these past few years.

Β 

When one is made acutely aware of the effect their thoughts and emotions have on those around them, does one hold the responsibility of which thoughts or emotions they "choose" to experience?

Β 

A great deal of general anxiety arises from this issue. Since "waking up", I have been highly, even too much, aware of the "field effect", and the effect my general state has on others. I cannot prove any of this as being true, as it is only noticeable through my own lense through which I view the world, but sometimes it can become overwhelming.

Β 

There is something to be said about confirmation bias, and making connections and attributing meaning where there is none, but I still can't deny what I'm able to observe.

Β 

I know that people can't read my mind and I can't read theirs, but through the field effect, it can often conjure up something quite eerily similar to my internal state, which can freak me out.

Β 

So what I tend to do in social encounters is "tense up" whenever I feel a thought or emotion arising that is not positive. For some reason, I do not want to burden the other with my own internal experiences.

Β 

If what I said makes any sense, does anyone have any advice on how I can overcome this?

• Like 5

Your thoughts, whether conscious or not, effect the world and everything, one, around you. Since you have become aware of this fact, there is a conscious responsibility to control how you think, speak, and do. Basically because you know, now the responsibility of changing how you influence the world is greater.

Β 

There is no overcoming it, only becoming more and more skilled at changing your world views. You don't have to harp on every thought, or even try to. All that is needed is to remain mindful of how you are influenced by the world around you, and how you influence it. Small things you can begin to become mindful of and change, and when that becomes easier, the bigger things will present themselves. Over time, you will be able to create a field of empowerment and optimism, instead of anxiety and doubt (not saying you create a field of doubt and anxiety now, I'm just generally speaking).

Β 

Hope this helps. :-)

Β 

Peace,

Lin

• Like 5

Turn the light around. Do not identify with the thoughts and emotions. Go to your center and be a witness. Watch how the movement of mind influences your thoughts and emotions.

Β 

When you park your awareness in in your center, you can observe the passage of thoughts and emotions, like so many clouds in the sky.

Β 

The field effect is real enough, but it's not about 'controlling' your thoughts and emotions.

Β 

The other thing you can do is delete the thoughts and emotions, and send your conceptual mind away. Once you do that, look and see what is left.

Β 

Human beings have many experiences of struggling and trying to overcome their weaknesses. Best to delete those struggling experiences.

Β 

Who says people can't read each other's minds?

• Like 4

*** :) Not bad Clarity, but there is one thing else:

Β 

Β 

its not the thoughts and emotions that are controlled..and Controlling isn't a bad thing. On the contrary, no mind control, there is no progress in cultivation.

Β 

It is about not letting your thoughts and emotions influence the way you see the world. Not letting means understanding whether or not these thoughts are your own, or influences from childhood times up till this current point. Who gave them to you, what led you to believe these views and emotions we experiences upon the influence of external stimuli is the way it is?

Β 

This is the reason for control. to have strength in concentration to apply it in mindfulness so as not to be taken by your own thoughts, nor to have other be influenced by them as well. Therefore, if it is a thought or what not , influencing for the higher good of humanity, and living beings, by all means radiate that vibe. Yet if by some unknown force you might for one moment feel a bit of doubt, fear, etc, it will also be radiated.

Β 

Control for imposing your will on others isn't good. But controlling for your own mind stability...very important.

Β 

Not saying many, but a great majority place an air of negativity to the word "Control", as though it isn't "natural" to do.

Actually, since we are not animals, plants, or other types of life forms, we as humans have the karmic capacity to develop strength of our mind in order to progress in attaining our inherent wisdom. because of so much influence in this "modern" world, the need to keep the mind at strict focus is so necessary in order to succeed in cultivation.

Β 

The "natural" way of humans isn't the same "natural" way of animals, etc. The human "natural" way is very obvious once freed from the world views that are imposed upon us. When there is still a view of a self, there is still no idea of that "natural" WAY of the human realm.

Β 

And, once the application of keeping the mind at strict focus is finished, letting it be without the method of "control" will allow for the realization of the fruit that was to be attained from practice. There will always be control, but it depends on our views and the method it is used within. Only when it is needed, it is utilized, when the method calls for something else, then one must find that something else. lol

Β 

I'm touching on a lot of aspects in this post, please excuse the immense amount here. hahaha

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 2

I understand that this is the way and the path one must follow, and I embrace your advice, but my problem is that I seem to be ashamed or guilty of having these particular thoughts as they tend to create very uncomfortable and awkward situations. There have been times where this has not been an issue for me, but at other times, like now and more recently, it has become nearly debilitating. I have my own complexes, insecurities and paranoias, and these can get extremely amplified as I am not yet at any level of mind mastery.

Β 

Perhaps if I were *not* aware of the effect my thoughts were having on others, I wouldn't be worried about my thoughts in the first place, and I may not be having this problem. This is probably untrue, but I just wanted to put it out there.

Β 

I know it is my responsibility to do the best I can, but I feel I'm not doing something right. Tough it out and bear the discomfort, or change something in my way of thinking? I can't seem to find the root of this issue of mine. I don't know where to look, and I don't know where to take it from here.

• Like 1

Was feeling tired, and overwhelmed. Decided to consult the I-Ching and pulled 23: Bo: Falling Away

Edited by Audiohealing
  • Like 1

Hey audiohealing, I can relate to your post here. I am not practiced in the art of cultivation, so I may be coming from a different, possibly humanist, perspective of trying to accept where you are at without judgement, and going from there.

Β 

I would tend to think that your concerns would not be an issue in a situation that you were comfortable in, or when you are feeling confident & free enough to be yourself, without being judged by those around you.

Β 

Being anxious and self conscious by its nature tends to bring on and amplify feelings, and I tend to find myself getting locked into a manic sort of internal conflict and dialogue in what my effect on others would be & then feel totally responsible for everything that happens thereafter. There is a saying about anxiety that analysis is paralysis. It's not healthy, and I think simply because I am & you are sensitive to energy, that's where the focus tends to be, at that level. If there wasnt that sensitivity, it would just be a case of one feeling self conscious of their issues popping up, and fearing the possibility of being judged unfavourably.

Β 

There is already some good points of view posted here on dealing with that, and if you notice what personal issues are coming up for you, you have the option of getting counselling to become ok about yourself with those issues, and I imagine more confidence in yourself will equate to less frequent occurrences of being acutely aware of what is happening in your field interactions. What are your thoughts on that?

• Like 3

Β 

Β 

NOTE: I edited this part out at first, after writing an insanely large wall of text, but then decided to remove it, and just leave this part; I had a profound kundalini awakening experience whilst doing a dissolving practice on December 26th, 2012. It was definitely premature, but I did not come unequipped. It is sometimes hard to manage (and I should probably make a seperate thread on this altogether), but intuition has never let me astray so far. The thing is, it brought the issue in this thread to the very forefront of my conscious awareness, more than it has ever been before.

Β 

I don't think I am asking the right questions, but thank you, Sanzon, as your reply brought me a lot of good insight. :)

Β 

Β 

Hey audiohealing, I can relate to your post here. I am not practiced in the art of cultivation, so I may be coming from a different, possibly humanist, perspective of trying to accept where you are at without judgement, and going from there.

Β 

I would tend to think that your concerns would not be an issue in a situation that you were comfortable in, or when you are feeling confident & free enough to be yourself, without being judged by those around you.

Β 

Being anxious and self conscious by its nature tends to bring on and amplify feelings, and I tend to find myself getting locked into a manic sort of internal conflict and dialogue in what my effect on others would be & then feel totally responsible for everything that happens thereafter. There is a saying about anxiety that analysis is paralysis. It's not healthy, and I think simply because I am & you are sensitive to energy, that's where the focus tends to be, at that level. If there wasnt that sensitivity, it would just be a case of one feeling self conscious of their issues popping up, and fearing the possibility of being judged unfavourably.

Β 

There is already some good points of view posted here on dealing with that, and if you notice what personal issues are coming up for you, you have the option of getting counselling to become ok about yourself with those issues, and I imagine more confidence in yourself will equate to less frequent occurrences of being acutely aware of what is happening in your field interactions. What are your thoughts on that?

Edited by Audiohealing
  • Like 1

Guest munky

I do know if you try too hard to control it will make things harder and generate tension in your mind and body at a certain point. But i guess different people are better at controlling and won't find it as negative.

Β 

Read the Dao De Jing and it's energy will affect you on a deeper level and help you to simply practice the way of being soft and yielding, letting things be without having resistance and they will be overcome automatically without force or strength.

Edited by munky
  • Like 2

I've been wondering whether I should contribute to this thread or not, but I thought it might be worth throwing it out there and then Audiohealing or anyone else that wants can pick it up (or not).

First, it has been my experience with kundalini that the kind of experience Audiohealing is talking about is a real phenomenon, everything vibes off everything else, energies get imposed upon, subdued, alchemy happens. Where does one's personal responsibility in any of it have location? I'd argue that awareness does not necessarily imply that one is now even more responsible than before. The attribution of responsibility would be the first thing to question (rather than assume per any Bhuddist or other beliefs about it then acting as a function of that belief). I liked the responses that called for more consciousness. After that, the 'what to do now I have consciousness?' I suggest that the 'what to do' question gets somewhat answered by itself once you allow consciousness. This is only my personal experience.

Have I used 'control' and 'stopping' and other techniques in situations like this? Yes, as a temporary measure. Definitely works.

Β 

----opinion etc---

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great responses, guys. I am off to bed, but I have a lot I want to discuss tomorrow..

Β 

-K-, I spent the last couple of hours reading back on some "halp! premature kundalini awakening!!1 threads, and thoroughly enjoyed your exchanges with T.I.

Β 

I can relate to you guys more than you can imagine, and that other people can even relate to this brings me immense joy and comfort :)

• Like 2

Was feeling tired, and overwhelmed. Decided to consult the I-Ching and pulled 23: Bo: Falling Away

Hehehe.

Β 

PS Excellent topic and thread/discussion so far.

Β 

Yes, I believe this concept is real and we need be aware of it.

Β 

In correcting what we see as a flaw, awareness is the first step, generally, conscious control will be the second step. But in reality we won't be able to control all these thoughts and feelings. This is where we just have to recognize them and let them pass.

Β 

Many different methods for "cleaning up our act", some excellent ones already mentioned.

Edited by Marblehead

Thanks for all the great responses, guys. I am off to bed, but I have a lot I want to discuss tomorrow..

Β 

-K-, I spent the last couple of hours reading back on some "halp! premature kundalini awakening!!1 threads, and thoroughly enjoyed your exchanges with T.I.

Β 

I can relate to you guys more than you can imagine, and that other people can even relate to this brings me immense joy and comfort :)

Glad you enjoyed the posts Audiohealing:-) Yeah, I think it's great to find out that this stuff isn't exactly 'new':-)

Audiohealing, PM me if you would like some assistance clearing the karma behind these thoughts and the shame you are experiencing.

• Like 1

Hey guys, AH here making a fresh start.

Β 

I thought I shouldn't quite worry about this too much after your replies, but then it got me thinking again:

Β 

1) If a person's overall mental and emotional bodies are stronger than the person(s) he is interacting with, what %age of the interaction is he "controlling"? In other words, what if your thoughts are so strong that the other person's thoughts barely affect you, and you orchestrate most of it?

Β 

2) This comes back to attaching meaning and making associations; what if everything the other person says or does becomes predictable? Say, I produce and hold a thought, and the person's reply corresponds almost exactly to whatever I'm thinking. How aware, on average, is the other person of my effect on their thoughts (I'm guessing zero).

Β 

3) So is it better to try and control these thoughts or let them flow through you and dissolve them so they don't arise again? The whole idea of what you resist, persists.. you know.

Β 

4) What are the major differences between how the mental and emotional bodies operate? If it is said to make no attempt to "correct" your emotions, why shouldn't this be the case with your thoughts?

Β 

5) Hypothetical situation to ponder: imagine all your thoughts, ideas and emotions manifested in your external reality INSTANTLY, and I mean the very moment they arise. Naturally, we're not perfect, so this may be hard to deal with at first, as your inner demons pop out and take form. How would you react. How would you proceed with creating this new reality? How do you interact with others that are also able to do this? How about with those that can't?

Β 

4) What I will try to do now from a practical standpoint is try to imagine the most anxiety and awkwardness-producing interactions I can have, and try to dissolve them as I would anything else. (I am well familar with Bruce's water method :) )

Β 

Thoughts?

Edited by CrunchyChocolate555

More things show up on our faces and body language than we realize and people respond to this. We can tell if someone is open or closed to us, and how they feel about situations or other people by many things including facial expression, distance, shoulder and chest positions. It's not necessarily an entirely energetic phenomenon.

Β 

Perhaps the negative thoughts are often judgements of good or bad about a person or situation. Rather than trying to stop the thoughts, just stop the judgement of whatever it is that is perceived negatively. Let it be and don't decide that you know these things about them. If I feel the need to judge something too strongly in a situation like this, I'll sometimes just direct the judgement at myself first like "who am I? how am I so special to be able to judge?" and this usually stops the unnecessary judgement.

• Like 1

Exactly what I needed to hear. Thanks!

Β 

More things show up on our faces and body language than we realize and people respond to this. We can tell if someone is open or closed to us, and how they feel about situations or other people by many things including facial expression, distance, shoulder and chest positions. It's not necessarily an entirely energetic phenomenon.

Β 

Perhaps the negative thoughts are often judgements of good or bad about a person or situation. Rather than trying to stop the thoughts, just stop the judgement of whatever it is that is perceived negatively. Let it be and don't decide that you know these things about them. If I feel the need to judge something too strongly in a situation like this, I'll sometimes just direct the judgement at myself first like "who am I? how am I so special to be able to judge?" and this usually stops the unnecessary judgement.

• Like 1

I agree with Sanson. I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a huge problem with this and still do to some extent. The solution is paradoxical, you see the more you concentrate on this problem the bigger it gets. So the answer would be to forget the whole scenario and try to be more relaxed, the better you are at forgetting this little horrible truth the more relaxed you will be and the more joy you are able to spread around.

Β 

For me, the more self-concious I am the more paralyzed I am, then in comes all the negative shit. Also, you cannot blame yourself for whatever negativity you might be sending somewhere, I mean all these emotions etc. have a reason. Maybe something in your life happened that makes you have such emotions? It doesn't matter what angle you look at this, the answer is either relax, get to know yourself better or forgive yourself.

Β 

Blaming or feeling guilt about this is not the answer and does not mean that you don't care for people, it is just that the answer to this dilemma is not found within the boundaries of another negative emotion. At worst this can end up being a vicious cycle where you at first become aware that you have "send negative energies around" and next thing you condemn yourself for doing so and then you feel even more negative, the whole situation falls apart, you blame yourself for that.. fast forward few years, youll kill yourself :D

Β 

Lol okay that was a bit extreme, but hope you got the point :)

Edited by raimonio
  • Like 1

Guest munky

Edited by munky
  • Like 1

Having had a recent bout with runaway thoughtforms, I can relate to what audiohealing has brought up with this thread. In many ways, I can best describe what I "battled" with as the mind virus that is present in our chronologically based perception of ourselves and "others".

Β 

Without having had the experiences of connecting with something that I can only describe as the "divine spark" within' I would not have the reference point to compare what is "real" and what is a product of a more "synthetic" ego. I say this with full respect and appreciation for my ego, but it most certainly can be used against me. In coming to this realization through experience, I have had to make a choice, I can be resentful of such a dynamic which at times pulls me into the depth of "the shadowland" or I can realize what a great teacher it has been to me by offering the opportunity to fully experience the transcendant emotion of gratitude for having had the opportunity to once again connect with the infinite aspect, present in myself and all "things". Call it "Tao" if you want.

Β 

Gnostics refer to these mind viruses as "Archons", the native americans "Wetiko", Carl Jung discussed this extensively in the sense of humanity's struggle with discerning the difference between true "Self" and the collective archetypal programs that are constantly produced, manifested, and fed through varying forms of ego-based and unbalanced emotional patterns. The awareness of the dynamic is the launching pad for the alchemical journey.

Β 

I have realized that the journey within' is not an easy one, and the door leading down this path, once opened, cannot be closed. "Logic" has little use on this journey, and will often be used agianst someone who tends to rely on it too much. There is a reason the understanding of the "mind" is implicit in realizing "The Tao". Belief is a limiting aspect, unless it is the belief in all posibilities.

Β 

At any rate, best wishes to all.

Β 

Lad

• Like 1

Never easy to let go of fear and simply observe; nightmare, dream, bliss or terror.... Never easy.

Β 

Β 

Considering the only objective existence in our reality is *the* observer; the aware and conscious mind is all that exists, every thought comes from and goes to the same source eternally...